Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
vod of Hafu playing if people want something to watch: https://www.twitch.tv/itshafu/v/89716223

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Countblanc posted:

You didn't name the thread "the best isometric team-based fighting game on the market"

Actually, Magi- oh, "on the market". Right.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
Kill time felt really good to me in the beta. Occasionally things felt unkillable but that was more my team getting outplayed by pearl/astro disables than anything else.

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

so you're telling me, this game.. is not a multiplayer online battle arena despite it being an online arena in which multiple players do battle

Ristolaz
Sep 29, 2005

By completely blowing off my BS you have passed the first trial

Wangsbig posted:

so you're telling me, this game.. is not a multiplayer online battle arena despite it being an online arena in which multiple players do battle

It's hotline miami but in azeroth.

strong bird
May 12, 2009

Wangsbig posted:

This

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

Wangsbig posted:

its is a moba in that sense but not in the sense that the term moba has come to be known to define

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
MOBA doesn't mean multiplayer online battle arena. It actually means "50 minute game with 5 minutes of action" which it turns out is not a good way to advertise your game, so they made up an unrelated acronym to get people to play them.

Dracula Factory
Sep 7, 2007

It is kind of funny that MOBA would be a perfect descriptor of this game if it wasn't already taken. And it still blows my mind that we have an incredibly popular genre based around a really goofy and janky warcraft 3 mod. My hope for this game is that it takes the fun part of dota (teamfights) and skips the bad parts (pretty much everything else).

strong bird
May 12, 2009

They came up with MOBa because its a good descriptor for Dota 2, and the new game Bloodrites, by Stunlock Studios.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

BLC's closest analog is probably Warlocks, which was... a Warcraft 3 mod

burger time
Apr 17, 2005

They also added an ammo system to some of the ranged characters in Battlerite, which makes the M1 attacks feel very different. In BLC, Gunner and Seeker M1s felt about the same.

Man am I glad Seeker isn't in Battlerite yet.... hate that guy.

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA
BLC was basically a stand-alone take on the Warcraft 3 arena maps in the same way LoL et all were for Dota. I'm still salty that MOBA won the acronym wars because it's much more apt for BLC/BRite than for D2/LoL/etc.

Glad to see that Battlerite looks good, I was absolutely enamored with BLC so I was happy to hear that Stunlock manage to somehow survive Funcom hell. A little sad to see the BLC aesthetic go, I loved the weird tribal feel, but the new style isn't bad, just different. I'm curious to see how simplifying the archetypes into 3 will work out, tanks were what I generally preferred to play.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Dracula Factory posted:

I do remember it taking frustratingly long to kill people, so if there's less healing, that's a good thing. Also BLC "felt" bad to me, as in the attacks and animations and visual style, and this game seems much better in that area so I hope ill enjoy it.

The game expects you to coordinate with your teammate(s) to burst someone down but once you learn to track your opponents escapes, you can easily take a chunk out of them alone. Also, there's more to the game's flow than raw health values. You're probably going to win if you can take control of the middle area.

Game's good, everyone give SLS :20bux:

Arzachel fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Sep 20, 2016

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I always thought BLC was a standalone version of the arena battles in World of Warcraft? Just with the isometric camera since that's easier to develop on for a small studio.

I never played arena or much of WoW so I could be talking out of my rear end here.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Unfunny Poster posted:

I always thought BLC was a standalone version of the arena battles in World of Warcraft? Just with the isometric camera since that's easier to develop on for a small studio.

I never played arena or much of WoW so I could be talking out of my rear end here.

There's similarities but they're mostly just at a glance: Small teams, contained area, spells and abilities. WoW has no skillshots (other than placing AoE markers under people but obviously that doesn't count), which are a huge part of BLC/Rite's appeal, plus the actual abilities are generally pretty different. Healing is also a very different paradigm in both games.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Ah, I wasn't aware there were no skillshots in WoW.

DirtyTalk
Apr 7, 2013
Having to aim almost every ability is what makes it so competitive and fun. Easy to pick up, really difficult to master.

Grimwall
Dec 11, 2006

Product of Schizophrenia
Quake 3 and wow arena had a baby and it's glorious.

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

Countblanc posted:

Pearl isn't but otherwise yeah. I mean heroes like Oldum and Freya are p different from their old versions but then you get ones like Ashka and well

Oldur is so different from the Herald of Insight that I would barely even consider him a port.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

novaSphere posted:

Oldur is so different from the Herald of Insight that I would barely even consider him a port.

Yeah. He's most similar, especially with constantly using your space bar to just coat everyone in time sand, but the actual abilities are radically different.

And then Jade is pretty much Gunner, but with more than one bullet on left click.

Most of the ports are pretty admirable in spicing things up, but I fear that Guardian won't make it over. :rip:

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
Guardian was my main squeeze but the increased focus on 2v2 makes me think the pinball paladin won't survive the transition. Astronomer and Pomp are a great time in BR though so I don't mind too much anymore.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

novaSphere posted:

Sure, I was just going off a dev statement where they said Pearl is the only truly new hero.

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

after a few days i started playing against people that had actually put some time in on pearl and shes super frustrating to deal with

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Watching hafu's Pearl really changed how the character can be played in 2s. I figured her viability was based on her rite that healed two people, but apparently the ones that buff dive and silence are the way to go.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Brannock posted:

To build upon this, go here: http://store.steampowered.com/app/504370/ and report the MOBA tag as incorrect. If it garners enough reports Steam will remove it as a tag.

This is silly. It may not be a Moba but it is very attractive to moba fans because it involves almost identical mechanical skills. Aside from the fact that you WASD around the moment to moment gameplay is almost exactly the same. I'm mouse aiming and using skills with QER and monitoring my and my opponent's cooldowns. Moba is a stupid term but this game not coming up as suggested when Steam knows someone plays a lot of other Mobas would be dumb.

E: I mean I described this to Dota playing friends as 'like Overthrow but without a shop or leveling' and I'm not sure that I was wrong?

NmareBfly fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Sep 20, 2016

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Overthrow in Dota is a sort of close comparison. Except that the map doesn't have traps on it, you don't buy items or level up and you can have mirror matchups.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
im gonna play this today

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Eonwe posted:

im gonna play this today

Good poo poo

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Eonwe posted:

im gonna play this today

Good luck!

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

NmareBfly posted:

This is silly. It may not be a Moba but it is very attractive to moba fans because it involves almost identical mechanical skills. Aside from the fact that you WASD around the moment to moment gameplay is almost exactly the same. I'm mouse aiming and using skills with QER and monitoring my and my opponent's cooldowns. Moba is a stupid term but this game not coming up as suggested when Steam knows someone plays a lot of other Mobas would be dumb.

E: I mean I described this to Dota playing friends as 'like Overthrow but without a shop or leveling' and I'm not sure that I was wrong?

It's a touchy subject because a lot of people dismissed BLC as a Dota/LoL clone at first glance when the game played nothing like a lane pusher.

:siren: If you're going to buy the EA, join the Battlerite steam group for extra chests and stuff. :siren:

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

oh, they didnt reset the accounts i dont have to do the tutorial and stuff again nice

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

17.99 sale price, Very Nice

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica

Radical posted:

oh, they didnt reset the accounts i dont have to do the tutorial and stuff again nice

Yeah you keep all your levels too

and grade

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Also reminder from the OP that we have a discord to play and organize Goon groups for.

Ruzihm posted:

Playing With Goons
If you want to play the game with some of your fellow Goons feel free to use the #battlerite channel on the SA Games discord found here: https://discord.gg/gRX76tt
Instructions to set it up can be found here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3787504

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
So wait, which is the"main" mode, is it 2v2 or 3v3

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Some more info for Gold Chests.

Gold Chests are for more premium cosmetic items. They always contain an epic cosmetic.

You can buy them either with the Battle Coins (in-game currency) or for real money.

Pricing:

1 Gold Chest = 500 Battle Coins
2 Gold Chests = $2.99
5 Gold Chests = $7.49
10 Gold Chests = $13.49
25 Gold Chests = $29.99
45 Gold Chests = $49.99

Luna Was Here posted:

I think they want 2v2 to be the main mode, but 3v3 seems just as viable and active so it's more of a "pick whichever you like" kind of deal.

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Sep 20, 2016

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Luna Was Here posted:

I don't think there's been an official statement either way. People, including myself, have gotten vibes that 2v2 is what they want us to spend our time on but I haven't seen this actually stated anywhere.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
2v2 and 3v3 both existing is great because it means no matter how large your group is everyone gets to pair off and play

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

yeah, i mostly played 2v2 but the few 3v3 i played felt a bit confusing

• Locked thread