Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
y deep down he would have been craving kinship with any still-living native species from earth to distract him from the hell of being stuck alone with an inept AI, his projected facade of lister's least favorite person, the narcissistic descendant of his contraband pet, and a defective salvaged android.

Red Dwarf may have been just a vehicle for wacky sci-fi shorts, but it had a pretty dark backdrop if you think about it. Don't tell me if it got really lovely I never saw later episodes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
idgi :confused:

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006
i'm not about to read that

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

ROFLburger posted:

i'm not about to read that

yeah good call, i acidently did and now im even more retarded

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
your talking about red dwarf in past tense as if theyre not still making seasons

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
u have a problem with ur syntax. it sux

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

Orkin Mang posted:

u have a problem with ur syntax. it sux

i got a sin you can tax

its meth. legalize it.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

i never got into it sry op

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord
I'd say sorry about your thread, but I'm not. Quite frankly I'm embarrassed for you, and all of GBS, that this thread exists at all.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

It's cold outside. There's no kind of atmosphere. I'm all alone, more or less.

:smith:

just ray
Jan 3, 2014

by merry exmarx
sounds like my kinda gal, what gina gams did whe have?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

The Protagonist posted:

y deep down he would have been craving kinship with any still-living native species from earth to distract him from the hell of being stuck alone with an inept AI, his projected facade of lister's least favorite person, the narcissistic descendant of his contraband pet, and a defective salvaged android.

Red Dwarf may have been just a vehicle for wacky sci-fi shorts, but it had a pretty dark backdrop if you think about it. Don't tell me if it got really lovely I never saw later episodes

Eventually Kochanski joins the crew. The lady he had a crush on. I don't remember exactly, but I think it might not have been the original Kochanski (she ded). A alternate universe Kochanski or nanite clone Kochanski or something.

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz
Doesn't matter, they a bunch of fat grandads now, I mean how does an android get get fat? Except Danny John Jules - he still looked pretty good in the last lot of publicity shots.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

ZombyDog posted:

I mean how does an android get get fat?

Maybe he had some upgrades installed in his chassis.

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz
They should call it " No Planet for Old Men " and end it at that.

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz

Facebook Aunt posted:

Maybe he had some upgrades installed in his chassis.
Same upgrade that made a hologram get fat as well amirite, is Rimmer still a hard light hologram? I can't remember anymore.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

ZombyDog posted:

Same upgrade that made a hologram get fat as well amirite, is Rimmer still a hard light hologram? I can't remember anymore.

I almost said "it's more puzzling that the hologram got fat". But then I thought about it, and maybe Holly programed the hologram to get old and fat along with Lister for morale reasons. The only reason holo-Rimmer exists is because Holly could only animate one crew member, and he thought Rimmer would be the best one for Lister's morale. Space corps protocol says that the highest ranking dead crew member is supposed to be the one re-animated, so it should have been the captain.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Long ago I was a big fan of the show. I even bought books. Books! Can you imagine? This was my favourite:

Back To Earth was utter poo poo, by the way.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

ZombyDog posted:

Doesn't matter, they a bunch of fat grandads now, I mean how does an android get get fat? Except Danny John Jules - he still looked pretty good in the last lot of publicity shots.

I haven't followed any Red Dwarf news in several years. Not since the DVD's first came out and there was a big Hooha on the website about pre-production stills on the Red Dwarf movie.
I don't blame them for making more, but honestly feel like they should have let it lie.

And to be 100%, I'm not sure how they could ever find a more perfect rimmer than Chris Barnes. I have the Red Dwarf books, and theres alot of nuance to both Lister's and Rimmers characters that is lost in the show.
A Red Dwarf graphic novel would work out pretty well, I think.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
i have a london jets zero gee football team shirt and it's p funny when people ask me if it's cricket or something

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Johnny Aztec posted:

And to be 100%, I'm not sure how they could ever find a more perfect rimmer than Chris Barnes.

Yeah, a couple times they tried to do a US pilot and it just didn't work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mlnntKi2no

Well, that was terrible. Lets try again, but trying making the cat a lady.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfJsViD9SjM

Thirsty Girl
Dec 5, 2015

i watch the redb borf

Thirsty Girl
Dec 5, 2015

nanoo nanoo earthling

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Facebook Aunt posted:

Yeah, a couple times they tried to do a US pilot and it just didn't work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mlnntKi2no

Well, that was terrible. Lets try again, but trying making the cat a lady.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfJsViD9SjM

I know I've seen the 2nd one before.

Any replacents would be hard, as everyone would be measuring it back against, but christ, that's not even trying.

Red dwarf, I think, alot of the humor is character driven. You can't just take anemone else and expect it to provide the same humor.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
lol that must b why they call this place random! lol

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz

Johnny Aztec posted:

And to be 100%, I'm not sure how they could ever find a more perfect rimmer than Chris Barnes. I have the Red Dwarf books, and theres alot of nuance to both Lister's and Rimmers characters that is lost in the show.
A Red Dwarf graphic novel would work out pretty well, I think.
TBH Chris Barrie could do all of the roles ( In fact he does in the Audio Books, and if I recall correctly he originally auditioned for Lister ) because he was just that good.

And I just realised season 11 kicks off in like 3 nights and the first episode is already available stream on UKTV. And they're already confirmed for season 12 next year.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

ZombyDog posted:

TBH Chris Barrie could do all of the roles ( In fact he does in the Audio Books, and if I recall correctly he originally auditioned for Lister ) because he was just that good.

And I just realised season 11 kicks off in like 3 nights and the first episode is already available stream on UKTV. And they're already confirmed for season 12 next year.

chris barrie is also an impressionist so that makes sense

i think they only used this like once or twice on the show too in season 1 which is a real shame

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

ZombyDog posted:

Ugggg, I just don't know, man. It's been...waay too long. For me and for them.

Have you watched it? Any good?

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz

Johnny Aztec posted:

Have you watched it? Any good?
Not yet, I'm not in the UK so it's probably :filez: and well like you said, it's been waay too long.

I'm Crap
Aug 15, 2001
the first two red dwarf books are better than the tv series

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

I'm Crap posted:

the first two red dwarf books are better than the tv series

True. The books are great, and have a lot of detail the show never gets into (probably because of the cost of sets).

autoaim.cfg
Aug 6, 2005
:qq: WHINY SHITHEAD :qq:
*drops mic*
The first two books, "Red Dwarf: Infinity Welcomes Careful Drivers" and "Better Than Life", were really good. I'd almost place them on par with Douglas Adams. But I really didn't care for "Last Human" at all. It felt like it didn't belong in the same series at all.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

I thought Red Dwarf X was better than 8 and Back To Earth but that's not really saying much I guess

I liked the one where Rimmer sends himself a father's day card and then gets incredibly drunk so he forgot that he sent it so it's a nice surprise for him on father's day :unsmith:

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

autoaim.cfg posted:

The first two books, "Red Dwarf: Infinity Welcomes Careful Drivers" and "Better Than Life", were really good. I'd almost place them on par with Douglas Adams. But I really didn't care for "Last Human" at all. It felt like it didn't belong in the same series at all.

I forget if it was Doug or Naylor but basically one can't really "do" Red Dwarf without the other. One just writes bleak, miserable stuff (Like the insinuation that Lister can only relate to mold) and the other just writes OTT wacky, zany poo poo.

Mr Toes
Jan 2, 2008
Digitally Challenged
I remember the last two books (Last Human and that other one) were definitely much more bleak and depressing than the ones before that. If I recall, in one book Ace Rimmer gets slaughtered by the mechanoid and Rimmer and Kryton die in the AR simulation. The other isn't much more upbeat either.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Drunken Baker posted:

I forget if it was Doug or Naylor but basically one can't really "do" Red Dwarf without the other. One just writes bleak, miserable stuff (Like the insinuation that Lister can only relate to mold) and the other just writes OTT wacky, zany poo poo.

Doug Naylor wrote Last Human and Rob Grant wrote Backwards.

It is correct that they write very different styles of Red Dwarf separately (which have their pros and cons) and as a pair they can crank out some really good stuff.

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

You'll stumble in my footsteps
Red dwarf finished at the end of series 6

Thanks

Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man.
i was tryna kick heron and binged all of red dwarf and it basically mirrored me - high af when it started then it got a lil sleepy then it got covered in goosebumps then it poo poo its bed then I just wanted someone to kill it then it basically curled up in defeat and cried with some back to earth vomit

good show though

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

britishbornandbread posted:

Red dwarf finished at the end of series 6

Thanks

I still cringe when I think of the one where they end up on Coronation Street. loving hell, what were they thinking?

X was better than 7, 8 and 9... But that's faint praise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
Can we get a title change and can we just talk about Red Dwarf a whole bunch? TVIV and CineD are awful, dark places but GBS is cool for talking about things.

• Locked thread