Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VRViperII
Mar 17, 2009

Drunken Baker posted:

A giant loving robot that eats planets was, and probably still is, badass as all hell.

Never watching this as an adult though because I'm 35 and not a manchild but if they ever got someone competent in to do a giant robot eating planets in the films I might dowload it, maybe, I dunno...

Watch it as an adult. You'll appreciate it even more now. The music is so good. Great animation quality, and voice work, and one of the greatest villains in all cinema.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD
its pretty good but is still an anime cartoon for babies

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD

VRViperII posted:

Watch it as an adult. You'll appreciate it even more now. The music is so good. Great animation quality, and voice work, and one of the greatest villains in all cinema.

no its actually still a baby cartoon for babies

"look at these new toys" the motion picture

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Eric Idle and Wheelie loving suck. The rest is kind-of fun in a "PG Heavy Metal" way. The voice cast is ridiculously overqualified for its script. The animation is actually pretty good considering how garbage the show's animation was. Even if it was motivated entirely by selling toys it was also pretty ballsy to show all the old characters get brutally slaughtered in an ambush instead of having them die off-screen or something.

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD

mind the walrus posted:

Eric Idle and Wheelie loving suck. The rest is kind-of fun in a "PG Heavy Metal" way. The voice cast is ridiculously overqualified for its script. The animation is actually pretty good considering how garbage the show's animation was. Even if it was motivated entirely by selling toys it was also pretty ballsy to show all the old characters get brutally slaughtered in an ambush instead of having them die off-screen or something.

i guess but it was the 80s - cartoon violence wasnt that much of big deal yet, so long as there was no blood - and robots cant bleed

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

It would have been way cheaper to have all the cannon fodder on some planet Orson Welles eats or lost in an explosion. They didn't have to animate their detailed deaths. That was a deliberate choice.

Science Rocket
Sep 4, 2006

Putting the Flash in Flash Man

mind the walrus posted:

It would have been way cheaper to have all the cannon fodder on some planet Orson Welles eats or lost in an explosion. They didn't have to animate their detailed deaths. That was a deliberate choice.

It was an assassination of my innocence.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I have to make a correction from my post on the last page. I always thought Dare to be stupid was by Devo. Clearly it was Weird Al.

I watched this movie in the theater at the age of 5 or 6, and the death where he turns grey kinda hosed me up for a few days. I had to ask my dad why he turned grey.

LoL and I remember asking if I would turn grey when I die. My father stopped working on his Harley, turned to me and said "yeah but it will take a bit longer"

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD

jonathan posted:

I have to make a correction from my post on the last page. I always thought Dare to be stupid was by Devo. Clearly it was Weird Al.

I watched this movie in the theater at the age of 5 or 6, and the death where he turns grey kinda hosed me up for a few days. I had to ask my dad why he turned grey.

Devo once joked that they hated weird al because he nailed the Devo sound in one song, when they'd put out like 3 records and still never really got it right.

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
This movie killed Orson Welles and I like to imagine he turned grey when he died

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord
I was bummed out about Ironhide, Prowl and Optimus Prime of course. They did spare Jazz, which doesn't make sense in retrospect as his voice actor died not long after.

The TV show is really lovely, even irrational nostalgia doesn't dupe me into thinking it was good, for some reason I think the movie holds up fairly well; good soundtrack, decent animation, particularly for the 80s.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Two of my friends were animators for the beast wars show. Mainframe studio which also did Reboot.

They got ripped off hard. It was essentially minimum wage and you were paid based on frames rendered.

VRViperII
Mar 17, 2009

reallivedinosaur posted:

no its actually still a baby cartoon for babies

"look at these new toys" the motion picture

Is there even another cartoon ever where characters die? Something that was aimed at kids and released in theaters? They didn't even off that many gen 1 dudes, and hardly introduced any of the eventual next gen.

I feel like your criticism of this toy cartoon is unfair.
:colbert:

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD

VRViperII posted:

Is there even another cartoon ever where characters die? Something that was aimed at kids and released in theaters? They didn't even off that many gen 1 dudes, and hardly introduced any of the eventual next gen.

all dogs go to heaven

that movies a total blood bath all the dogs in it get killed

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??

VRViperII posted:

They were going to kill off one of the main characters in the GI joe movie but they retconned it because of the backlash from Optimus prime dying

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
heres my fav beast wars ep from when i was a teen. its the one where dinobot saves the future of humanity by using the last of his power (like battery for hibernate on computerts..) to eye-laser destroy the Golden Disc against an impossibly stronger foe, the max lvl megatron. wonder why dinobot never got any new toys. guess kids didnt like him, but its pretty obvious trhe writers did. pretty cool sendoff for a kids show. pretty standout episode too. hackneyed sure, but whatever. episode opens with a seppuku suicide attempt from dinobot. wtf?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTidX136XNY

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

Buglord

Smythe posted:

heres my fav beast wars ep from when i was a teen. its the one where dinobot saves the future of humanity by using the last of his power (like battery for hibernate on computerts..) to eye-laser destroy the Golden Disc against an impossibly stronger foe, the max lvl megatron. wonder why dinobot never got any new toys. guess kids didnt like him, but its pretty obvious trhe writers did. pretty cool sendoff for a kids show. pretty standout episode too. hackneyed sure, but whatever. episode opens with a seppuku suicide attempt from dinobot. wtf?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTidX136XNY

Never saw Beastwars, might have to check it out at some point. :shrug:

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Beast Wars was the time Megatron won by erasing the 80's and pointing directly at the audience and telling them that they no longer existed

Beast Wars were the best wars

e: Dinobot kicked rear end and he did get a Transmetal 2 version later on in the show but it was an evil clone or something, I forget the specifics.

Dresh
Jun 15, 2008

hrmph.

VRViperII posted:

I actually found an article about this, and the answer is yes kids movies kill the gently caress out of their characters. http://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2014/12/why-kids-movies-are-full-of-death/383819/

And nthing the Beast Wars praise, it's well worth watching if you can get past the early CGI quality and the somewhat slow start of S1.

Principal Hellmann
Jul 29, 2006
"I'm sending you to dentention FOREVER, LIEMAN!"
where's the Go Bots: Battle of the Rock Lords thread???

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

Buglord

Principal Hellmann posted:

where's the Go Bots: Battle of the Rock Lords thread???

You have the power to make this dream a reality FYI. TBQH I didn't think the GoBots were so bad, but then I guess if you're a kid and its either that or nothing it seemed like a good alternative.

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
its kinda a pos op. iremember something about cars?? whatever

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD

Orkin Mang posted:

its kinda a pos op. iremember something about cars?? whatever

people itt are saying this stuff was well written

theres a pink car thats how you know that one is a girl

Orkin Mang