Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

OGS-Remix posted:

True Laurel is good, I thought Trick Dog was overrated. This was after they won their one of the best bars in America award though, so maybe they were coasting on their laurels. That was also several years ago so maybe it's back to how it was before.
Yeah I actually put off going to Trick Dog for several years, because I thought it would just be overpriced hype, but when I eventually gave in and went, I was genuinely impressed. Before COVID they changed their menu every 3 months, which has its pros and cons, but maybe you just weren't feeling their menu at the time. They are fully open again. I went a few weeks ago. I only had time for one drink, but it was definitely still good. I want to go have dinner some night.

I had dinner at Phonobar the other night. I was pretty surprised, actually. The food was better than I expected. I feel like vegan food gets easily overhyped because people don't know what to expect (or expect so little), but I'd certainly go back. I hope I'm not falling victim to the expectations trap I just described!

I like bars that serve food. :hehe:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

Got a table at al's Place as well for when we're back in two weeks 😎. All the amazing sounding places are like hyper closed on Monday though. Booo.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

Junior G-man posted:

Got a table at al's Place as well for when we're back in two weeks 😎. All the amazing sounding places are like hyper closed on Monday though. Booo.
Isn't that normal though? Most restaurants (for dinner service) and barbershops are closed for Sunday and Monday everywhere I've lived, that's their weekends.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

Junior G-man posted:

Hope it's alright to ask a Horrible Tourist Question - I'm in SF the nights of 1 and 2 May and me and my fiancée want to have a really good meal while there.

We're staying around Chinatown but happy to travel (within reasonable limits) for good food. Happy to spend money but not like French Laundry money (still on the waiting list).

Preference is modern American, but no burgers - more towards fine dining or interesting casual.

Any tips ( also for lunch / breakfast would be super appreciated)!

Little bit out of the way from you but NOPA should fit the bill pretty well, too. I haven't been for a minute thanks to the pandemic but their food has always been consistently great. Cocktails are very good, wine list is pretty decent and they have a bunch of madeira/sherry btg as well which is nice. Everything is good but pork chop is great, grilled broccoli is fantastic, flatbread is always very good. They do rabbit sometimes that's great, and when salmon is in season they'll do an off-menu salmon collar that's basically half a salmon head cooked in the wood-fired oven that';s loving amazing.

edit: also a lot out of the way from you but an Outerlands trip for brunch is a good trip. Ride the N out, have some soup, a grilled cheese, and some fresh bread and then go poke around Ocean Beach/GG Park/Outer Sunset some

idiotsavant fucked around with this message at 06:42 on May 1, 2022

got off on a technicality
Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

Junior G-man posted:

Al's Place is a super great choice. The "Fish Mullet" is a must; they tend to sell out so I always ask them to reserve a portion as soon as I sit down. Also I suggest the fries (made from pickled potatoes), and they're always trying something fun with the burrata - last time I was there it was mapo spice, now it's something different

Feb 7, 2007

oh dear
Marlena is a hot new restaurant that's open on Mondays. I find the quality a bit variable but they are creative and shockingly affordable by SF standards

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
Is Marlena open now? Last time I looked they were shut down to do some kitchen renovations.

Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

fermun posted:

Is Marlena open now? Last time I looked they were shut down to do some kitchen renovations.

Oh drat I had no idea. Was there end-March but you're right. Scratch that then

Mijote is another one worth trying that's open Mondays. Japanese chef who worked at David Toutain for years (an amazing 2* restaurant in Paris but in the modern style, which I suppose is what you're looking for). Haven't been but I'm told they're really good. Also very affordable by SF standards

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

True Laurel was ridiculously good, many thanks for the recommendation - felt inspired again after that. The beetroot salad was just stupid in how it was, as were the oysters and the halibut crudo.

Sat at the bar, great service as well.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Had to cancel Als Place for social reasons but had decent cocktails and good food at ABV in the Mission; the fried chicken sandwich is worth a trip. However, true laurel is by far superior if you're looking for a* cocktails and small plates.

Had dinner at Commis in Oakland as well, 2* - that was absolutely amazing; genuinely thoughtful, well paced food with superb wine pairing. They also do a short bar menu and I can only urge you to drink a cocktail there even if you don't wanna drop money on the full tasting fiesta. Though that is incredible.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Is there a place that does kbbq but not the open hall style seating? My girlfriend loves the grill-it-yourself aspect of kbbq but she can have sensory overload issues when there's a ton of people around being loud and such. I would suggest just doing it at home with a portable burner but I don't want to deal with getting all the banchan together.

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

Totally surviving on my own. On LAND!

AnonSpore posted:

Is there a place that does kbbq but not the open hall style seating? My girlfriend loves the grill-it-yourself aspect of kbbq but she can have sensory overload issues when there's a ton of people around being loud and such. I would suggest just doing it at home with a portable burner but I don't want to deal with getting all the banchan together.

Chungdam in the south bay has private rooms. It's a little pricey but very good. Their sibling restaurant Seorai might have private rooms as well but you can call ahead and check.

Apart from that, I can't think of any that don't do open hall style kbbq.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

I've got some time off from work tomorrow and Friday and I'd like to take my father out on a cool drive and lunch at a cool restaurant but I find myself without a list of places to try and Yelp is less helpful if you don't have a more specific location/cuisine.

We're mostly agnostic on what kinda food and located on the peninsula.

Not looking for anything super fancy - my father's default is HMB Brewing Company.

Any ideas?

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

92->35->9. Eat somewhere in Saratoga.

witchcore ricepunk
Jul 6, 2003

The Golden Witch
Who Solved the Epitaph

A Probability of 1/2,578,917
How about Alice’s? The drive is so pretty.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

I generally like highway 1 brewing and have enjoyed St.. Angeli's when looking for things in the coast m that night not be enough of an drive though depending on where you're starting from.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

OGS-Remix posted:

Chungdam in the south bay has private rooms. It's a little pricey but very good. Their sibling restaurant Seorai might have private rooms as well but you can call ahead and check.

Apart from that, I can't think of any that don't do open hall style kbbq.

Taking a look at Chungdam, thanks for the recommendation!

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

https://twitter.com/henrykleeKTVU/status/1529954455289901057

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Fate Accomplice posted:

I've got some time off from work tomorrow and Friday and I'd like to take my father out on a cool drive and lunch at a cool restaurant but I find myself without a list of places to try and Yelp is less helpful if you don't have a more specific location/cuisine.

We're mostly agnostic on what kinda food and located on the peninsula.

Not looking for anything super fancy - my father's default is HMB Brewing Company.

Any ideas?

Duartes in Pescadero is good on the coast if you've never been there, Alice's is pretty good and scenic, Bywater in Los Gatos was good the last time I was there if you will be down south more. Dads Luncheonette is very good and popular if you don't mind eating in a parking lot but are probably already familiar with that if he is in HMB regularly. Alpine Inn in Portola valley is something worth looking into too. Fun pleasant outdoor setting and good beer menu.

Alternatively, go to the new place the owners of Allspice opened in the old Three Zero building by the HMB airport and let me know how it is? Been wanting to check that place out and have heard good things.

Edit: idea/suggestion - if you are looking for a driving route and starting in HMB take 1 to Pescadero, go up Pescadero creek Rd to skyline go south on skyline to page mill, come down that to arastradero and take that to alpine inn.

post hole digger fucked around with this message at 06:42 on May 27, 2022

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

I went to Kaiyo Rooftop the other day. The food was pretty good. We had the veggie gyoza, pork bao (gua bao style), yucca fries, beet tiradito, and a veggie roll. The drinks were not good, though. I had "The Wind Rises" which was maybe OK but it was garnished with matcha powder, which was not stated on the menu. I think that's kind of weird, because it's not just a sprig of mint or something. I assume matcha is a polarization flavor as I personally think it's disgusting, so I don't understand that choice. It also didn't go with the drink at all. I tried "Koro's Big Day" after that which is maybe a good drink if you like mezcal but I have concluded I do not. It was also kind of expensive. $150 for 5 small plates and 3 drinks. Too bad. It would be nice if there were some good roof top bars/restaurants. I mean, maybe there are loads and I just don't know. The only other one I've been to is El Techo but that was for my SO's work thing, so...

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Not sure if anyone else went to Foodieland Night Market in San Mateo, but we went and it was awesome. The vendors themselves are producing some great food, we had some amazing potstickers there, and some great spam musubi. The lines to some spots were super long but everything generally moved pretty well. They're going to have events in Berkeley and Sacramento before coming back to San Mateo in September, we're definitely going again and it's worth checking it out if you can.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

https://caextreme.org/

Unlimited pinball and retrogames this weekend in Santa Clara.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Foodieland is back again for that interested. It was pretty great last time I went and we're planning on going again. Fun time and solid food!

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

My sister went last time and she said it was fun but kind of expensive and the lines for popular places were very long.

Is that how it was in your experience as well?

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Some places were definitely expensive, but not everyplace was that bad. Also if you avoided the entrance and went to the back, the lines were a lot better.

Development
Jun 2, 2016

for those looking for an omakase experience that isn’t sushi, I really recommend Kappo Yuji in SF’s Japantown. Since it’s a newish place, it is quite easy to book (and open on Mondays! (unlike most omakase sushi-ya here)). He uses the same fish supplier as Sushi Yoshizumi and the quality is top notch. The restaurant is very very small and its entrance is sort of hidden, on the top floor of a building across from the Peace Plaza.

https://www.kappoyuji.com/

Stupid Decisions
Nov 10, 2009
Slippery Tilde
Any recommendations for either sushi or middle eastern around Fisherman's Wharf or Union Square?
Have some unexpected time in SF tomorrow for an early dinner. Not looking for anything too formal as we don't have the whole evening but price isn't a major concern either (probably good for SF).

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Not middle eastern but out by fisherman’s wharf I’ve been meaning to try Abaca

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

I’d go to Kokkari (Greek), Barcha (Turkish), or Mourad (Moroccan).

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

Stupid Decisions posted:

middle eastern

Toe Rag posted:

I’d go to Kokkari (Greek), Barcha (Turkish), or Mourad (Moroccan).

LOL

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

I don’t see what’s so funny :colbert:

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
One of those borders the Atlantic ocean just south west of Spain and the other is in Europe

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

I am aware Turkey and Greece are not Middle Eastern in the American context of the word which is why I put it in parentheses. That said both of those places are good and fairly Mid East adjacent in terms of food they serve IMO :shrug:

Stupid Decisions
Nov 10, 2009
Slippery Tilde

Toe Rag posted:

I am aware Turkey and Greece are not Middle Eastern in the American context of the word which is why I put it in parentheses. That said both of those places are good and fairly Mid East adjacent in terms of food they serve IMO :shrug:

I agree. All solid recommendations to the my fairly loose request, thank you.

Abaca - looks good and if I don't go I have already recommended to my Filipino colleague who is looking forward.

Mourad - looks very nice but possibly a bit too much restaurant for what we wanted.

Barcha & Kokkari - probably will go to one of these, thank you.

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Funny Little Guy Aficionado.
god ok i have a very specific question here. in the midwest when you get sweet and sour chicken at a chinese restauraunt it's these big, deep fried meatball type things of chicken that you'd dip in the sauce, there's a nice, crunchy fried texture to them that gives way as you bite in. there's usually a bit of air in there. it's great.

here, it's a much smaller piece of fried chicken, that has a totally different texture and tends to come pre-sauced.

Is there any place that serves anything like that in San Jose specifically? it's a craving i've had for years and can't fulfill. image provided

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

Manresa closed on 12/31 and they had a sale of all their used stuff on 1/11. The sale was supposed to start at 11am. My friend and I went there at 10:30am but there was already a line stretching across the parking lot.

I guess there's a lot of people with nostalgia for that place. I'm interested to see what Kinch's new restaurant is going to be; he said he's going to open another one in Los Gatos.

Development
Jun 2, 2016

OGS-Remix posted:

Manresa closed on 12/31 and they had a sale of all their used stuff on 1/11. The sale was supposed to start at 11am. My friend and I went there at 10:30am but there was already a line stretching across the parking lot.

I guess there's a lot of people with nostalgia for that place. I'm interested to see what Kinch's new restaurant is going to be; he said he's going to open another one in Los Gatos.

:smuggo:

yes, line was bad. I got there at 10:15 and we didn't get in until closer to 5pm. I only managed to snag this iconic plate because we had made a special arrangement ahead of time. most of the people in line actually hadn't ever gone to the restaurant and kept on saying that they wanted the "wooden charcuterie boards", which was :whitewater: as they are chargers, where the petit fours were normally served on.

most of the high ticket kitchen equipment was gone the night before the sale. chef kinch had a special sale for his friends/restauranteurs and a dude had bought a whole lot of the copperware for $10k.

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

Development posted:

:smuggo:

yes, line was bad. I got there at 10:15 and we didn't get in until closer to 5pm. I only managed to snag this iconic plate because we had made a special arrangement ahead of time. most of the people in line actually hadn't ever gone to the restaurant and kept on saying that they wanted the "wooden charcuterie boards", which was :whitewater: as they are chargers, where the petit fours were normally served on.

most of the high ticket kitchen equipment was gone the night before the sale. chef kinch had a special sale for his friends/restauranteurs and a dude had bought a whole lot of the copperware for $10k.

Dang that's a nice purchase. I'm guessing he was there all day signing stuff. If you don't mind my asking, how much was the plate?

I think the charcuterie boards were very popular, the random people I asked near the front of the line said they sold out almost immediately. I'm surprised to hear most people never went to Manresa, how did they even know about the sale?

For the high end kitchen equipment, I can definitely see that being sold before being open to the public. No one is going to walk off the street and buy a commercial oven lol. People would buy copperware for sure but I don't think there'd be any discount given how they were pricing other stuff.

Development
Jun 2, 2016

OGS-Remix posted:

Dang that's a nice purchase. I'm guessing he was there all day signing stuff. If you don't mind my asking, how much was the plate?

I think the charcuterie boards were very popular, the random people I asked near the front of the line said they sold out almost immediately. I'm surprised to hear most people never went to Manresa, how did they even know about the sale?

For the high end kitchen equipment, I can definitely see that being sold before being open to the public. No one is going to walk off the street and buy a commercial oven lol. People would buy copperware for sure but I don't think there'd be any discount given how they were pricing other stuff.

a few hundo. the sale was advertised on social media and in the local news. it was never advertised during the dinner service openly, only in passing during the final week or so. yep, he and most of the FOH were working the sale and stayed til the end.

their kitchen ranges were custom bonnet maestro’s, which tbh would price out most restaurants even.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

I just went to Kajiken in San Mateo and while the line/wait was really bad, the Aburasoba is very good. It's very different from normal ramen and I've never had anything quite like it before.

Go early and get in first seating because otherwise the wait is very long.