Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Development
Jun 2, 2016

thx Senf and 404notfound. goon love for food is the best love.

aside

you guys eating at any cool places for valentine's day? Currently trying to get some good omakase resos, but worst case scenario we might just indulge in some garlic crab noodles...cuz that's romantic af amirite

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic
I know I'm a little late (by like 6 months), but re: coffee: if you can find a starbucks with a clover, I think you will find that clover coffee is better than just almost any other coffee vendor, including hipster techie places like ritual and blue bottle.

The downside is their website is total trash, so the best way to find out if a nearby starbucks has a clover is to just walk inside and see if they have a reserve menu posted, or once you've seen what a clover looks like you can just see if they have one.

Disclaimer: I've never liked starbucks, I always found (historically) their coffee, while consistent, not very good. Their reserve coffees are single origin and their roast type is determined by people who seem to know what they are doing, based on my sample size of trying about ~10 different beans so far. The clover machines are programmed to the specific bean, so the results are extremely consistent and they adjust the grind type, drip rate, etc for each bean

edit: I still prefer to french press at home vs clover, but that's because I have a friend who is into roasting his own beans and he is loving amazing at doing it. However if I'm ever near a starbucks I will walk inside to see if they have a clover, because they are so tasty. Even if I've already had coffee that day. yeah, i have a coffee problem

mitztronic fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Mar 9, 2017

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Did you read that sister?
Yes, truly a shitposter's post. I read it, Rem.
I have had about a good 3 year spree now of not being inside a Starbucks (I don't count the one time I went inside on in Japan, because I needed internet and I don't understand moonrunes). If I try this and this is not the best drat cup of coffee I've had including the $30 cup of coffee from Blue Bottle I will write a strongly worded response expressing my dissatisfaction.

mmm11105
Apr 27, 2010
Anyone have any recommendations in Napa Valley in the $50-60/person range?

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic

SweetBro posted:

I have had about a good 3 year spree now of not being inside a Starbucks (I don't count the one time I went inside on in Japan, because I needed internet and I don't understand moonrunes). If I try this and this is not the best drat cup of coffee I've had including the $30 cup of coffee from Blue Bottle I will write a strongly worded response expressing my dissatisfaction.

Had a chance yet? What is that $30 coffee you speak of? :eyepop: I feel like no cup of coffee is ever going to be worth $30

edit: oh, you must be talking about Kopi Luwak? (The poop coffee)

mitztronic fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Mar 30, 2017

amethystbliss
Jan 17, 2006

mmm11105 posted:

Bouchon is really good.

Bliss Authority
Jul 6, 2011

I'm not saying it was witches

but it was witches

Casa Latina is a good place two blocks north of University and San Pablo with a $2 taco tuesday.

On the one hand, they are small tacos. On the other hand, they are very, very good tacos. The Al Pastor is killer.

lock stock and Cheryl
Dec 19, 2009

by zen death robot

Bliss Authority posted:

Casa Latina is a good place two blocks north of University and San Pablo with a $2 taco tuesday.

On the one hand, they are small tacos. On the other hand, they are very, very good tacos. The Al Pastor is killer.

Los Moles in west berkeley has an all-you-can-eat taco tuesday. Good taco bar, good agua fresca, good mole~~

got off on a technicality
Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

mmm11105 posted:

This is a little late but I suggest Bounty Hunter in downtown Napa. Get the chicken

Also Solbar in Calistoga

amethystbliss posted:

Bouchon is really good.

FWIW I've found the Bouchon in Yountville to be inconsistent. I would suggest going for brunch and getting the chicken & waffles

Development
Jun 2, 2016

Trip report: Akiko's, San Francisco

Sat at the bar and we were served by Chris. Pics: http://imgur.com/a/7Yxm3

Pretty awesome omakase and we got to try a lot of things we've never had before. Also, jfc monkfish liver is loving great. If you like foie gras, you'll definitely have to try it.

Boof Bonser
Jan 26, 2015

nvj is touched by your generosity!
All of my Bay Area food experiences took place when I was a college student and too poor for real food, but damned if I don't miss getting stoned and eating Steve's Korean BBQ in Berkeley.

Books On Tape
Dec 26, 2003

Future of the franchise
My favorite burger is the Herb Caen at Bill's Place on clement.

Humphrey Slocombe makes the best vanilla ice cream I've ever had.

Speissekammer in Alameda has really good german food.

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

Totally surviving on my own. On LAND!
Since this thread worked out last time, do people have any good suggestions for food around At&t park? Normally I eat at the park during ball games but I'll be coming up earlier so I have time for sit down food.

I'm open to pretty much anything so all suggestions are welcome.

giogadi
Oct 27, 2009

OGS-Remix posted:

Since this thread worked out last time, do people have any good suggestions for food around At&t park? Normally I eat at the park during ball games but I'll be coming up earlier so I have time for sit down food.

I'm open to pretty much anything so all suggestions are welcome.

I also would like an answer to this as someone who lives in mission bay. I know Spark SF, Potrero to the west, and then dogpatch to the south, but I haven't yet found anything good up in that part of soma near the ballpark.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Darwin, Garaje

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Comedy option : Saison

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Re: food desert of soma

We were at The Ramp the other night, they're just south of AT&T park a couple of blocks, unique outdoor patio right on the water. Very low key chilled out atmosphere. Food was average, drinks were pretty cheap. Very cheap actually. Neat blue collar bar near the one remaining ship yard in the city. Dark and stormy there​is about as stiff as you can make it.

On the way back we passed ATWater Tavern. Looks more high end, will have to check it out soon.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
I once took up a sales guy up on free lunch since he seemed to have a good rapport with a guy we'd flown in to give a talk. Sadly said sales guy was fairly new to the company, and was not familiar with the various resturaunts of our godforsaken part of SOMA near AT&T park. He chose Tres, I assume because it's fairly large, easy to see, and looks respectable enough, and if you know no other resturaunts in the area, you might as well. I have never consumed a more flavorless taco, and a I give my condolences to the poor Brasilian man we'd flown in to give a talk and then feed something that tasted more or less like dust formed into taco shape.

Slice House is decent, but only when there's not a lot of other people there. They've perfected a style of pizza that essentially needs to age for a good 20 minutes or so before being reheated to be truly good, as it's a gooey mess right out of the oven. It needs to solidify a bit first, and then be baked again to lock in the grease. If nothing else, it's cheap..

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Re:SOMA food, I love the fried chicken at Little Skillet attached to the bar Victory Hall. It's better than it has any right to be and I've loved it when I've had it. Plus Victory is a legit bar with some decent beer, so that's two birds there.

Otherwise my Dad who's lived in the area since the earthquake speaks well of Brickhouse for a burger and a beer, I haven't been myself but it seems legit. Marlowe has a great burger if you can get in as well, it's a bit pricy for some options, but the meal itself is good.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Little skillet is pretty good, as is the whole complex it's part of. One of the better "let's go chill out with the street from somewhere that's not my house" places in the area I've found

amethystbliss
Jan 17, 2006

Marlowe is great, though they moved locations in the past few years. Brickhouse is good too and used to be our go-to when we lived next to the ballpark. I think that area has an Umami burger now too.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
I've always enjoyed The Grove in SOMA.

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you work with Turkeys!!

Victory Hall / Little Skillet rules. Great fried chicken, great cocktails from bartenders who seem to know their poo poo, laid back crowd.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Baby Babbeh posted:

Victory Hall / Little Skillet rules. Great fried chicken, great cocktails from bartenders who seem to know their poo poo, laid back crowd.

Fun tip, they often will have only regular sculpin at the front bar, but at the back they often have grapefruit sculpin if that's more your jam (as it is one of my favorites I often will take advantage).

aqu
Aug 1, 2006

But Mooooooooom

Hadlock posted:

Re: food desert of soma

On the way back we passed ATWater Tavern. Looks more high end, will have to check it out soon.

ATwater has good food but terrible service.

SOMA is a paradise compared to bleakness of Mission Bay :sigh:

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
are we seriously talking about soma food and not mentioning garaje/garajito? for shame

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

eschaton posted:

I've always enjoyed The Grove in SOMA.

I'm currently Groveposting.

giogadi
Oct 27, 2009

aqu posted:

ATwater has good food but terrible service.

SOMA is a paradise compared to bleakness of Mission Bay :sigh:

Publico owns

e: this is probably just Stockholm syndrome actually

giogadi fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Apr 21, 2017

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

Reiterpallasch posted:

are we seriously talking about soma food and not mentioning garaje/garajito? for shame

garaje rules and I wish I had an excuse to go there more

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

giogadi posted:

Publico owns

e: this is probably just Stockholm syndrome actually

Publico is digusting, at least go down to Gilberths.

Ganim's is a local treasure though.

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Did you read that sister?
Yes, truly a shitposter's post. I read it, Rem.

mitztronic posted:

Had a chance yet? What is that $30 coffee you speak of? :eyepop: I feel like no cup of coffee is ever going to be worth $30

edit: oh, you must be talking about Kopi Luwak? (The poop coffee)

Ultra late response: Yeah, it was decent. Heads and shoulders better than their normal swill, and better than some pour overs I've had. Though I still much prefer siphon coffee. Still, since then Starbucks hasn't become a last resort option.

The coffee I am talking about is the Port of Mokha coffee, they sould it at the blue bottle near me a while ago. As to whether or not it was worth it, depends on how much money you have. It's important to note that it doesn't taste like traditional coffee in the sense that, if normal coffee tastes like coffee and then has some undertones of fruit or whatever, this tasted more like a very tarty berry juice with coffee undertones and aftertaste. So I suppose it was worth it in the sense that I've never tasted anything like it before, now I'm not so decadent that I would have it every day, but it's not much different than buying a decent bottle of booze for celebration purposes.

beanbrew
Jan 3, 2011

the way is not in the sky

the way is in the heart
Anyone know of a decent, quick cafe or diner for weekday breakfast in Albany or Berkeley?

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

Books On Tape posted:

Speissekammer in Alameda has really good german food.

Not really. It's OK.

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic

SweetBro posted:

Ultra late response: Yeah, it was decent. Heads and shoulders better than their normal swill, and better than some pour overs I've had. Though I still much prefer siphon coffee. Still, since then Starbucks hasn't become a last resort option.

Siphon is super smooth. I've only had siphon coffee twice. I'd like to get one at some point for home use.

Also, just keep in mind not all Starbucks have a clover. If you don't see a reserve coffee list, turn and run.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
Just visited Teske's Germania in downtown San Jose for the first time this past weekend, it was quite tasty for dinner. I had the Jaegerschnitzel, my wife had the beef goulash, and I also tried a friend's veal shank. All were delicious, the veal particularly so.

The band was a bit loud though, which on top of a cold made it difficult to hear.

A couple years back I was up by Oakland for an event and wound up staying at the hotel right next to Brotzeit Lokal. Our room was practically right across from it, and it was a great place to grab a bite and have a good beer.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

beanbrew posted:

Anyone know of a decent, quick cafe or diner for weekday breakfast in Albany or Berkeley?

Oh man, Sam's Log Cabin on San Pablo is the loving best on a weekday. Same amazing food, but none of the weekend crowds.

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic

eschaton posted:

Just visited Teske's Germania in downtown San Jose for the first time this past weekend, it was quite tasty for dinner. I had the Jaegerschnitzel, my wife had the beef goulash, and I also tried a friend's veal shank. All were delicious, the veal particularly so.

They also have dopplebock dunkel on tap. We loved going there when we live in SJ. A little pricey but I think it was worth it.

quote:

The band was a bit loud though, which on top of a cold made it difficult to hear.

For future reference, you can ask for a table inside, but the whole band thing is kind of part of the experience :)

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

mitztronic posted:

They also have dopplebock dunkel on tap. We loved going there when we live in SJ. A little pricey but I think it was worth it.

It was Kloster Andech's doppelbock specifically when I was there, which is loving legit good strong Bavarian beer. Highly recommend Andech's wherever anyone might see it on tap or even bottle.

Teske's spaetzle is lovely though.

Anyone got any trip reports for the newish Ludwigs Bavarian restaurant in SJ?

Bald Stalin fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Apr 26, 2017

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic

Ranter posted:

Kloster Andech's doppelbock

This actually inspired me to see if there are any other dopplebock dunkels in production (I thought it was the only one). Sure enough, there is at least one other by Eggenburg, although I've never seen it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
There might be beers that are only made and sold in Germany and don't make it into English review sites and stores. It's actually really amazing that Andechs is exported; I learned about them after going to their monastery outside Munich and when I came back to see them on tap at Brotzeit and Teske's, I flipped out. Then I saw they're in Bevmo sometimes too by the bottle. It's a prime example of excellent Bavarian beer. The weiss, dunkelweiss, helles, doppelbock, they're all stellar.

Augustiner might be better, but I have never seen them on tap anywhere in the bay area... yet.

Bald Stalin fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Apr 26, 2017