Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

mitztronic posted:

For future reference, you can ask for a table inside, but the whole band thing is kind of part of the experience :)

Oh, we would have, except it was a friend's birthday get-together so we could only really reserve a table for enough people in the big room with the band.

Which is pretty nice, with a reservation they can accommodate a pretty sizable party!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I'm staying in Fremont this weekend for a wedding in Newark, anything good in those two cities? If not I guess I'll check out places in the op

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Mission Peak is a pretty popular hike around the Fremont area. It's a constant slope with little shade, so it can be moderately tough when it's hot out, but it looks like this weekend is gonna be a bit cloudy.

There's a pole at the peak with holes drilled into it meant to point you at various bay area landmarks, but most people just climb on the pole for their Facebook profile pictures. And there's some snarky comment to be made about the huge lines of people waiting to take a picture with the pole, but I'm too tired to think of it right now

Also, the parking sucks there. You'll probably have to park along one of the residential streets (make sure it's okay to park there) and walk a few blocks up to the trailhead.

Edit: I just realized this is the food thread, not the main bay area thread :doh: Uhh, I guess 85 C bakery is all right? Devout Coffee over on Niles is nice if you're into the hipstery third wave coffee vibe. I'm not too familiar with the food in that area, to be honest.

404notfound fucked around with this message at 00:25 on May 5, 2017

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Is there food around Mission Peak or is it just a hike trail

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

Totally surviving on my own. On LAND!

Steve Yun posted:

Is there food around Mission Peak or is it just a hike trail

It's just a hiking trail. I don't know too much up in Fremont/Newark so I can't help out beyond that.

For the Giants game, I ended up going to Garaje and had a zapatos. Very tasty and it's definitely a good place to go. Seating was hard to find but I think that's because there was a large ball game crowd. Another plus for the food thread.

aqu
Aug 1, 2006

But Mooooooooom

Steve Yun posted:

I'm staying in Fremont this weekend for a wedding in Newark, anything good in those two cities? If not I guess I'll check out places in the op

There's tons of great Indian, Asian, and Afghan food.

My personal recommendation is the gyro pizza at Falafel Corner.
It's the restaurant I miss most from Fremont.

King of Dumping is great choice if you're in the mood for Chinese

TLT BBQ has really great Chinese skewers

Pakwan has really great Pakistani food

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
There is a chick-fil-a, and those are rare in the bay area I guess.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
Reposting from the other thread as I didn't know there was one dedicated to the Bay Area:

Hi!

I'm going out to San Jose, CA for a weeklong nerd convention in June. I've never been before and am looking for good places to eat. I'll probably be staying somewhere near the downtown area as that's where my events will be, but am happy to Uber/take the lightrail places as I'm from NYC and can take public transportation.

I eat everything and am not too concerned with prices. Thank you!

(Also if people have neighborhood suggestions for places to stay, pray do tell)

Development
Jun 2, 2016

Re: SJ food.

I really like Vung Tau on Santa Clara st. It's a fantastic Vietnamese place with family style comfort food (not a Pho place)

Original Gravity downtown has lots of nice beer and sausages.

Bluefin is right by me and it's a pretty good place for sushi. kind of pricy for what you get, but their happy hour specials are very reasonable.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
So, trip report + also related to SJ food:

Ludwig's is a decent Bavarian restaurant with a biergarten outside. Great beer selection on tap plus some specialties in bottles. The food is pretty good, with the usual schnitties and sausages but also some Bavarian specialties like Obatzda mit brezen, also wurstsalat.

Yes they have Andechs doppelbock on tap.

Walrus Truck
Nov 6, 2010

Doh004 posted:

Reposting from the other thread as I didn't know there was one dedicated to the Bay Area:

Hi!

I'm going out to San Jose, CA for a weeklong nerd convention in June. I've never been before and am looking for good places to eat. I'll probably be staying somewhere near the downtown area as that's where my events will be, but am happy to Uber/take the lightrail places as I'm from NYC and can take public transportation.

La Victoria is a local favorite, mostly for its iconic orange sauce. Plus, it's within walking distance from the convention center, in case you don't feel like taking Uber/public transportation at some point.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

You have a lot of pretty good options when it comes to getting your drink on. Haberdasher is across the street from the convention center and is all about the speakeasy-esque, craft cocktail vibe; reservations highly suggested. On First Street, there's Paper Plane, 55 South, and Original Gravity all right next to each other, although the first two will get utterly swamped on the weekends. There's also the Fountainhead and the Hedley Club Lounge, both of which are on my list and I haven't found time to visit yet. If you wander over to San Pedro Square, there are at least three different bars packed into that area as well.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR
Seconding Original Gravity and San Pedro Square for casual dinner and beers. San Pedro Square has a food court and multiple bars and you can sit outside in the nice summer evening weather.

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you work with Turkeys!!

Yeah definitely check out San Pedro Square market one night, it's a great place to go with a group of friends

Development
Jun 2, 2016

Also, if you do go to Original Gravity, do not expect the Sauerkraut to be legit. It isn't, but the rest of the food is good.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Doh004 posted:

Hi!

If you're staying downtown (which you should for WWDC) you really won't need to think about Uber, or you can trivially catch a real cab.

There are lots of tasty places a short walk from the McEnery Center, which is at the edge of downtown. Go up to First and turn right, there'll be a bunch of decent food and booze like Cafe Stritch and Haberdasher and good coffee at Cafe Frascatti. Go the opposite direction to the plaza and there's all sorts of stuff from fast food to good Thai and a vegan place with an amazing beer selection for its size (Good Karma). Keep going past First towards the SJSU gate instead, and you can get a Psycho Donut, a good burrito, or a bulgogi cheesesteak.

There's a ton of other stuff nearby too, all walking distance from the convention center, like the German places I mentioned just a few posts ago.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

404notfound posted:

There's also the Fountainhead and the Hedley Club Lounge, both of which are on my list and I haven't found time to visit yet.

They made a decent gin & tonic, and they actually have interesting gin like the Venus No. 2.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
Awesome, thank you for the suggestions folks. Seems like I have my work cut out for me :btroll:

eschaton posted:

If you're staying downtown (which you should for WWDC) you really won't need to think about Uber, or you can trivially catch a real cab.

There are lots of tasty places a short walk from the McEnery Center, which is at the edge of downtown. Go up to First and turn right, there'll be a bunch of decent food and booze like Cafe Stritch and Haberdasher and good coffee at Cafe Frascatti. Go the opposite direction to the plaza and there's all sorts of stuff from fast food to good Thai and a vegan place with an amazing beer selection for its size (Good Karma). Keep going past First towards the SJSU gate instead, and you can get a Psycho Donut, a good burrito, or a bulgogi cheesesteak.

There's a ton of other stuff nearby too, all walking distance from the convention center, like the German places I mentioned just a few posts ago.

Awesome! Will you be presenting again this year?

bartlebee
Nov 5, 2008
Me and the missus are gonna be at the Orpheum Theatre (1192 Market Street) in two weeks (seeing Hamilton because whatever) and I know jack poo poo about the area. I'm reading through the thread but anyone have any specific suggestions around the area? We'll be mostly casual and lunch stuff but we'll also be doing a couple sit down dinners. Open to anything. She wants dim sum (I read that Chinatown post on the first page) but again, I don't know the geography at all. Thanks.

giogadi
Oct 27, 2009

I don't know much in that area either, but whenever I'm there I just go to Tu Lan. It's a hole-in-the-wall Vietnamese place that does really tasty pho. It's not fancy at all, but it's super fun to sit at the bar and watch the chefs work. I'd be interested as well in what y'all eat out there in that area.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

bartlebee posted:

Me and the missus are gonna be at the Orpheum Theatre (1192 Market Street) in two weeks (seeing Hamilton because whatever) and I know jack poo poo about the area. I'm reading through the thread but anyone have any specific suggestions around the area? We'll be mostly casual and lunch stuff but we'll also be doing a couple sit down dinners. Open to anything. She wants dim sum (I read that Chinatown post on the first page) but again, I don't know the geography at all. Thanks.

https://www.yelp.com/biz/yemen-kitchen-san-francisco

Yemeni food. loving amazing hole in the wall. The owner is so friendly and the food is like nothing else I've had.

beefnchedda
Aug 16, 2004
Fancy, awesome mexican - http://www.calarestaurant.com/

Best banh mi - https://www.yelp.com/biz/saigon-sandwich-san-francisco

Chicken pho - http://www.turtletowersf.com/

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Anyone have good recommendations around San Mateo? No particular preference with regards to cuisine, preferably around the 10~30 per person range.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Rasa is modern Indian with a Michelin star and isn't off the charts expensive.

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

Ranter posted:

Rasa is modern Indian with a Michelin star and isn't off the charts expensive.

Rasa is good but it can be busy. I'd call for reservations if you're going on the weekend. Also their ghost chili hot sauce is very hot. They are not messing around when they say it's hot :supaburn:

There's a bunch of decent places on/near third Street as well. I used to go to a ramen place there (forgot the name), and there's also a gyu-kaku which is a chain but decent. Closer to the $30 end for sure, especially if you get drinks.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

OGS-Remix posted:

I used to go to a ramen place there (forgot the name)

Ramen dojo?

Development
Jun 2, 2016

AnonSpore posted:

Anyone have good recommendations around San Mateo? No particular preference with regards to cuisine, preferably around the 10~30 per person range.

Kisaku is pretty good for lunch

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

Possibly. It might have been Ramen Dojo, it's been quite a while since I've eaten in San Mateo. Ajisen Ramen is a chain store, but their ramen is decent too.

amethystbliss
Jan 17, 2006

AnonSpore posted:

All Spice is a bit above budget but delicious, creative, beautifully plated, etc. It's also starred. The Vault and 31st and Union are pretty good. There's also a good Burmese place on Burlingame Avenue that has lines out the door most nights.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Ramen Dojo is wonderful but you *will* wait in line.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Chef Zhao is great for Sichuan on El Camino and 25th, even has Kenji's recommendation!

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Going to Californios later this week :pervert:

Development
Jun 2, 2016

is South in Sacramento as awesome as my coworker makes it out to be?

amethystbliss
Jan 17, 2006

Ranter posted:

Going to Californios later this week :pervert:

Report back! Been wanting to try that place for ages.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
FYI when you reserve the table, you pay the entire bill up front on your credit card. 2 people with wine was over $600 on my credit card 2 weeks out from the booking, and there are no refunds (but you can just have a friend show up in your place instead...)

beanbrew
Jan 3, 2011

the way is not in the sky

the way is in the heart
Anyone have suggestions for a good Hunan place in the east bay? Also a good dim sum place? I have Sichuan covered though.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Tin's Teapot in Hayward is actually really loving good dim sum and good value. Koi Palace in Dublin is upscale but pricier. Where is the good sichuan in east bay?

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

amethystbliss posted:

Report back! Been wanting to try that place for ages.

Do. it. now.

beanbrew
Jan 3, 2011

the way is not in the sky

the way is in the heart

Ranter posted:

Tin's Teapot in Hayward is actually really loving good dim sum and good value. Koi Palace in Dublin is upscale but pricier. Where is the good sichuan in east bay?

My family always goes to China Village in Albany when we have an extended family get together, but if it's just the grandparents, we'll go to the place in the back of the Pacific East Asian Mall. I think it's called Sichuan Fusion or something dumb like that, but I've never really looked at the sign.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

If you're in Alameda, go to American Oak. Come for the eleventy bazillion kinds of whiskey, stay for the drat fine food.

Honorable mention: Tucker's Ice Cream