Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Shadowhand00 posted:

This list is all over the place and mixes locations vs. cuisine style but its more stream of consciousness.

Muracci Curry on Kearny is great for lunch and their spicy curry ramen is pretty good at getting
I really didn't like Muracci. Came out to be like $12 for a box with a small amount of flattened down mashed rice and a little bit of chicken and sauce. Maybe I'll try the Spicy Curry next time it's a cold rainy day (but I usually get pho over at Golden Star, which is p decen although not the best)

Thanks. I'l have to try some of those. I work near Chinatown sort of near Transamerica building so I'll have to check them out. I've pretty much resigned to my fate that everything for food around the fidi sucks (even most of the foodtrucks now) or is insanely overpriced and maybe slightly above mediocre.

I live in Berkely and mostly just stick to eating around here so my Berkeley recs:
Creole/Cajun southern-y food-- Easy Creole. Cheap and tasty with awesome decor. Menu also changes often. Personally I hate Angelines even though it's really popular, so this is my go-to for that type of food when the craving hits.
Korean -- Bowld. Might be a little more americanized than some might like but I really love it and they have a great diverse menu with something for everyone. Berkeleyside also just ran an article about them
Cheap Basic Mexican: I've never been exactly thrilled with Berkeley's offerings but I like Taqueria Talaveras a lot. Berkeley doesn't have great mexican like the mission by any means, but this is the one I've found that's still really cheap and tasty. Mole is p decent too. There's also Gordos I guess but I'm not a huge fan.
Upscale Mexican: Comal. I think it's gone a little bit downhill since it's opening but it's still pretty decent and some really nice drinks. Makes for a nice date night spot.
Italian: La Coco's. I absolutely love this place (maybe because I'm a few blocks away) but their pizza and spaghetti sauce is delightfully light, huge (and affordable) portions, and friendly staff.
Hamburgers: Eureka is probably my favorite here. A bit pricey and more "upscale" but very good quality juicy hamburgers and excellent drinks.
Ethiopian: There's a bunch off Telegraph and going into Oakland that are all good. Lemat opened near Adeline and it's pretty good. Take your pick. I'd probably go for Cafe Colucci.I've found each does something a little weak and better at some things but again, all will suffice.
Indian: Berkeley also kind of sucks when it comes to indian--especially compared to other places I've lived. Some times I've been to some spots and they've been good and then been back and they've been mediocre. I generally like Mount Everest the best and they've been most consistently good. Delicious vindaloo.

Xaris fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Sep 22, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Ranter posted:

FiDi is a food desert, except that cart around 520 market that does amazing Mediterranean meat plates with saffron rice and pita bread.

Is that the "Halah Cart"? I'm a bit spoiled since there was a really good and cheap halah afghani cart when I lived at Davis back in like 2009 that was really good. That one (if it's the same one I'm thinking of?) is just kind of ok and last few times I've gone I've had really bad plates (minimal amount of meat, loaded with wilty subway esque "salad", and rice being oddly hard and under/overcooked) so I haven't been back in over a year but maybe they've improved again because they actually were pretty decent when they first opened.

Xaris fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Sep 22, 2016

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

bitprophet posted:

Ending with a complaint: I'm really sick of decent diners closing down and/or getting replaced by lovely upscale brunch-rear end places. This area is already lousy with overpriced mimosas and it's now actively hard to get a decent hearty omelet without going out of my way :cry:

The Hideout is really quite good, perhaps a little too much upscale brunch but it was perfectly reasonable (the biggest problem is it's insanely busy. I dunno what it is with bay area and breakfast places but holy poo poo expect a minimum 1+hr wait at almost all times. It's no wonder there's always a bunch new popping up because it seems to poo poo gold--at least on weekends). But they had good omelets for about ~$10 which is pretty typical, along with a bunch of other really really good breakfast foods. I also remember Chows not being too bad? Also plenty of places in the dub c for that. Surprised you like Uncle Yus tho, my girlfriends parents live right above that building basically and it's p mediocre/standard chinese for a clientele that's 90% old white people. Antica is decent tho.

Xaris fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Sep 22, 2016

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

snyprmag posted:

Anybody got a favorite Famer's Market? I just moved down to San Leandro and the Bayfaire one has a lot of good stuff at good prices.

Personally, I'm not a huge fan of any of the ones around the bay area. Most are crazy crowded (ferry terminal), expensive (for produce), and all have mostly the same poo poo as each other. Might be I'm spoiled since I have Berkeley Bowl and Monterrey Market right nearby so I always have extremely cheap good selection of produce. But the Lake Merritt one is good and not that far from you. Alemany market in SF is also good but I'm just so rarely over there.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

404notfound posted:

Is Philz not good anymore? I don't get it as often as I used to, but it still tastes about the same to me. Prices have definitely gone up though.
It's still fine, but they have expanded a shitload so it could prolly vary wildly. My girlfriend still likes them (at least ones here in Berkeley) even tho they badly screwed up her orders the past few times.

I really don't like them tho because it's basically the price of a couple tacos for a cup of coffee, which is insane to me since I'm cheap as gently caress. And probably related is my taste buds are probably broken and I really only notice two tiers of coffee--black pisswater (gas station, fast food places), and just normal tasting coffee (starbucks, peets, philz, local shops) that more or less taste mostly the same to me so I pretty much just stick with Peets as it's cheap. I've tried places like Blue Bottle or w/e fancy poo poo and while yeah I can tell it's a a little better, not worth a) much longer wait, and b) much higher cost

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Kenning posted:

I'm mostly conversant in East Bay stuff, but here goes

Now, for some things that haven't been mentioned yet:

Great China in Berkeley is the place for Peking Duck, and really just the place for restaurant-style Chinese food in the East Bay. Expect a wait of 30+ minutes unless you have a reservation (5 or more) but it's worth it. Bring a party of 6 and get the dinner special. Surprisingly interesting wines as well. The double skin (mung bean noodle salad with Chinese mustard and sea cucumber) is unreal.

Noodles Fresh in El Cerrito is a fairly new spot that has been super on point lately. They had some service issues when they got started but they've figured it out and now it's rad. Interesting noodle dishes from different regions in China. Noodles are exceedingly chewy and tasty, and the teas are also really good. Pretty inexpensive option.

Breads of India, the Berkeley location, is a real delight. Small, no wait, different curries and featured breads every day, as well as a couple of standard dishes like saag paneer. I once had some coconut chicken curry thing here with their recommended cracked pepper naan and it sort of changed my life.

The Hotsy Totsy in Albany is one of the best bars in town, and it has Tacos El Autlense in the parking lot, probably the best taco truck north of Fruitvale. I've had many a memorable night at the Hots.

Fieldwork Brewing in Berkeley is totally on fire. They opened not quite 2 years ago and have already expanded to a couple new cities. Really well-designed beers and their food options (usually fried stuff like empanadas and pasties and whatever) are super legit.

Shanghai Dumpling King in Glen Park/Bernal Heights in San Francisco is a great place to go if you want to eat around 20 dumplings each for less than $15 per person. I recommend the Shanghai dumplings, spicy wonton dumplings, and potstickers.
Thanks. I haven't tried Noodles Fresh and Great China is definitely a place I've been meaning to try. I'll definitely plan to try Noodles Fresh here soon with the upcoming rainy season. I'm a little pissed that Berkeley has poo poo pho options, especially now that Cafe V closed down. The best you can do is heading over to Oakland like Monster Pho or something.

Hotsy Totsy is great and I need to go there more.

I love Fieldwork but man they're loving packed as poo poo whenever I go now so it's kind of not as fun and lo-key like it was around when they opened and you could just chat and chill with some random people and bartender. Maybe I just need to start going in the middle of week now :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

BearDrivingTruck posted:

Any good cheap places in downtown Berkeley, around Shattuck? I'm looking for a new place to have dinner when I have class. I usually go to Pollo, Bongo Burger, or Oasis Grill. Used to go to Sliver, but they've moved.

What do you consider cheap? I like Pedros, Imm's Thai is really good, Social Club is decent, Ikes, there's of course lots of pizza