Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
I've always enjoyed The Grove in SOMA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
Just visited Teske's Germania in downtown San Jose for the first time this past weekend, it was quite tasty for dinner. I had the Jaegerschnitzel, my wife had the beef goulash, and I also tried a friend's veal shank. All were delicious, the veal particularly so.

The band was a bit loud though, which on top of a cold made it difficult to hear.

A couple years back I was up by Oakland for an event and wound up staying at the hotel right next to Brotzeit Lokal. Our room was practically right across from it, and it was a great place to grab a bite and have a good beer.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

mitztronic posted:

For future reference, you can ask for a table inside, but the whole band thing is kind of part of the experience :)

Oh, we would have, except it was a friend's birthday get-together so we could only really reserve a table for enough people in the big room with the band.

Which is pretty nice, with a reservation they can accommodate a pretty sizable party!

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Doh004 posted:

Reposting from the other thread as I didn't know there was one dedicated to the Bay Area:

Hi!

I'm going out to San Jose, CA for a weeklong nerd convention in June. I've never been before and am looking for good places to eat. I'll probably be staying somewhere near the downtown area as that's where my events will be, but am happy to Uber/take the lightrail places as I'm from NYC and can take public transportation.

I eat everything and am not too concerned with prices. Thank you!

(Also if people have neighborhood suggestions for places to stay, pray do tell)

If you're staying downtown (which you should for WWDC) you really won't need to think about Uber, or you can trivially catch a real cab.

There are lots of tasty places a short walk from the McEnery Center, which is at the edge of downtown. Go up to First and turn right, there'll be a bunch of decent food and booze like Cafe Stritch and Haberdasher and good coffee at Cafe Frascatti. Go the opposite direction to the plaza and there's all sorts of stuff from fast food to good Thai and a vegan place with an amazing beer selection for its size (Good Karma). Keep going past First towards the SJSU gate instead, and you can get a Psycho Donut, a good burrito, or a bulgogi cheesesteak.

There's a ton of other stuff nearby too, all walking distance from the convention center, like the German places I mentioned just a few posts ago.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

404notfound posted:

There's also the Fountainhead and the Hedley Club Lounge, both of which are on my list and I haven't found time to visit yet.

They made a decent gin & tonic, and they actually have interesting gin like the Venus No. 2.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

My wife and I enjoy Sam’s in San Jose.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Get an Eggs Benedict “Dave’s Way” at The Grove over by 3rd on Mission.

Get a pork chop at Hops & Hominy right over by Union Square.

Pop over to Japantown (a short walk or a cheap cab ride—literally just go west on Geary or Post) and get udon at the place across from Kinokuniya in the Japan Center mall, or okonomiyaki at Mifune Don in the Miyako Mall by the hotel.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Also while you’re in Japantown visit Dimples and see if it doesn’t live up to its Yelp reviews.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Great udon in the Japan Center mall right across the way from Kinokuniya.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

AnonSpore posted:

tbh the random kaitenzushiya I went to in Japan were way better than most sushi places I've been to in America so I figured it was worth an ask at least

You can actually get good sushi here so why not do that?

Akane In Los Altos was very good last time I was there, and Furu Sato In Campbell is always wonderful. In both cases you’ll want omakase, at Furu Sato you should sit at the bar for it and banter with the chefs.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Hops & Hominy is tasty and a little upscale without being fancy

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Cliff House

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Only been there for a wedding & reception, it was acceptable rather than foody, but it sure did have a view.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Does Shadowbrook down near Santa Cruz still do brunch? They were tasty and had a view.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Where are you in the Bay Area?

I don’t know about CBD specifically but for everything cannabis I like Caliva.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

I can anti-recommend Korean Spring BBQ in Santa Clara. The meal itself was fine, though my wife described her noodle soup as a bit starchy (both the noodles and the broth).

However, they have a big “We Accept Bitcoin Cash” sign in the window and also have a paper on their door explaining that “because of the increase in minimum wage” they’ll be closing between 2:30pm and 5pm.

The only reason we went in was because the friends we were meeting for lunch were already seated. We won’t be going back.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Some northern Thai places, if you ask whether they have khao soi because you didn’t see it on the menu, are delighted to make it for you.

The rest will just say they don’t have it so you have nothing to lose except a little pride.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Toe Rag posted:

Quotes like that seem suspect to me. Why can’t they raise their prices accordingly, especially if they’re still busy? Are they already priced at the tipping point? They also blame a change in dining culture but there is no elaboration as to what that means. That could be the reporters fault, though.

Usually when restauranteurs complain about costs, I assume they’re shitheads who don’t want to pay their staff. That said, when their lease was last up for renewal, their rent may have skyrocketed.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Chinese?

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

I hope we don’t wind up in a situation where there’s no crab season, since that’s what keeps them from growing overlarge and running wild in the region’s streets…

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

district of thizz posted:

I am a fan of manresa bread, specifically their kouign amann. They have locations in Los Gatos, Los Altos, and Campbell.

gently caress yeah manresa kouign amann

but wherever barefoot is getting their baked goods from, I need to go there, the ones they have now are extremely good

I’ll ask tomorrow when I pick up coffee

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Barefoot Coffee gets their baked goods from Panorama in San Francisco now.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Nea posted:

Does anyone know any place that might do this?

Panda Express?

Not kidding, you can probably get this kind of thing there. I know they have that with pork, I’ve had it before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Ranter posted:

What are the best american bbq joints in SF that aren't 4505? the BEST

The couple of times I’ve been there, Baby Blues in the Mission was legit. They’re right south of the corner of Cesar Chavez and Mission, on Mission, open til 8.