Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

Totally surviving on my own. On LAND!

Toe Rag posted:

Are those other places just bad or is there some weird thing going on with my palate? Like Orenchi and Santa Ramen were actually gross, and I only ate more than a few bites attempting to be polite. If I had been by myself I would have left, and I think I threw away the one I got from the food truck.

I haven't been to Santa Ramen but Orenchi is definitely pretty good. If you reacted badly to it maybe there's a particular ingredient you don't like that's in some of the broths.

Have you been to Mensho in SF? That place is really good as well although I guess you won't be able to visit anytime soon. 😥

My Single Thread reservation is definitely gone since I was supposed to go on 4/4. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

AnonSpore posted:

Wise fwom yo gwave, thread

Anyone got a list of good bakeries in the bay? I never paid much attention to breads but my partner was seized by a sudden hankering for croissants. The only bakery I recognize in CA is Bouchon but that's 1) in Yountville and 2) owned by an rear end, so I'd rather not if I can help it.

There's some pretty good bakeries all over the bay, was there a specific area you were looking at?

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

Bringing this thread back from the dead, but my sister recently tried to go to Benkyodo to get some mochi before it closes.

The line was around the block an hour before it opened lol. Has anyone tried it recently? It closes on March 31st so if anyone wants to try some that's how much time you got left.

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

Toe Rag posted:

True Laurel is very good. This is a "sister bar" to Lazy Bear, which is supposed to be good, but I've never been!!
Trick Dog is around the corner from True Laurel and is good too. Both of those are bougie cocktail bars ($15+ drinks) which serve food, but I've honestly never been disappointed with anything I've had from either. Worth the money IMO.

True Laurel is good, I thought Trick Dog was overrated. This was after they won their one of the best bars in America award though, so maybe they were coasting on their laurels. That was also several years ago so maybe it's back to how it was before.

Edit: To actually contribute:

Junior G-man posted:

Hope it's alright to ask a Horrible Tourist Question - I'm in SF the nights of 1 and 2 May and me and my fiancée want to have a really good meal while there.

We're staying around Chinatown but happy to travel (within reasonable limits) for good food. Happy to spend money but not like French Laundry money (still on the waiting list).

Preference is modern American, but no burgers - more towards fine dining or interesting casual.

Any tips ( also for lunch / breakfast would be super appreciated)!

Cotogna is a good Italian place near Chinatown, they're owned by the same people who run Quince (which is next door and a 3 michelin star restaurant). Angler is kind of expensive but pretty good as well. Their fish is a little overpriced imo, but they have this radicchio salad which is amazing. Mourad is good Moroccan food, but their best dishes are meant for more then 2 people. There's also House of Prime Rib which is solid. I haven't been to Niku Steakhouse, but supposedly that's pretty good as well if you're interested in steaks.

A lot of these places have their menus online so take a look before choosing where to go. If there's any particular cuisine you like, I can try to think of some other places too. All the places I listed you can either walk in or get reservations on shorter notice. If you have more time like at the end of May, more possibilities can open up.

OGS-Remix fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Apr 28, 2022

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

AnonSpore posted:

Is there a place that does kbbq but not the open hall style seating? My girlfriend loves the grill-it-yourself aspect of kbbq but she can have sensory overload issues when there's a ton of people around being loud and such. I would suggest just doing it at home with a portable burner but I don't want to deal with getting all the banchan together.

Chungdam in the south bay has private rooms. It's a little pricey but very good. Their sibling restaurant Seorai might have private rooms as well but you can call ahead and check.

Apart from that, I can't think of any that don't do open hall style kbbq.

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

My sister went last time and she said it was fun but kind of expensive and the lines for popular places were very long.

Is that how it was in your experience as well?

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

Manresa closed on 12/31 and they had a sale of all their used stuff on 1/11. The sale was supposed to start at 11am. My friend and I went there at 10:30am but there was already a line stretching across the parking lot.

I guess there's a lot of people with nostalgia for that place. I'm interested to see what Kinch's new restaurant is going to be; he said he's going to open another one in Los Gatos.

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

Development posted:

:smuggo:

yes, line was bad. I got there at 10:15 and we didn't get in until closer to 5pm. I only managed to snag this iconic plate because we had made a special arrangement ahead of time. most of the people in line actually hadn't ever gone to the restaurant and kept on saying that they wanted the "wooden charcuterie boards", which was :whitewater: as they are chargers, where the petit fours were normally served on.

most of the high ticket kitchen equipment was gone the night before the sale. chef kinch had a special sale for his friends/restauranteurs and a dude had bought a whole lot of the copperware for $10k.

Dang that's a nice purchase. I'm guessing he was there all day signing stuff. If you don't mind my asking, how much was the plate?

I think the charcuterie boards were very popular, the random people I asked near the front of the line said they sold out almost immediately. I'm surprised to hear most people never went to Manresa, how did they even know about the sale?

For the high end kitchen equipment, I can definitely see that being sold before being open to the public. No one is going to walk off the street and buy a commercial oven lol. People would buy copperware for sure but I don't think there'd be any discount given how they were pricing other stuff.

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

I just went to Kajiken in San Mateo and while the line/wait was really bad, the Aburasoba is very good. It's very different from normal ramen and I've never had anything quite like it before.

Go early and get in first seating because otherwise the wait is very long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

I just had some panettone from This is from Roy and it was amazing. I would definitely get some more often if I lived in the city.