Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

I'm mostly conversant in East Bay stuff, but here goes

Things that have already been mentioned

Cafe Colucci in Oakland for Ethiopian. They went through a rough patch a couple years ago but they're really really good again and it's wonderful. Get some raw kitfo and some mitten shouro.

Vik's Chaat in Berkeley is really quite good. I usually get the chole bhatura and the keema samosa but you can't really go wrong.

Eureka in Berkeley has still been really consistent for a good burger and a nice beer selection. Usually has a wait of 20 minutes or so though.

Now, for some things that haven't been mentioned yet:

Great China in Berkeley is the place for Peking Duck, and really just the place for restaurant-style Chinese food in the East Bay. Expect a wait of 30+ minutes unless you have a reservation (5 or more) but it's worth it. Bring a party of 6 and get the dinner special. Surprisingly interesting wines as well. The double skin (mung bean noodle salad with Chinese mustard and sea cucumber) is unreal.

Noodles Fresh in El Cerrito is a fairly new spot that has been super on point lately. They had some service issues when they got started but they've figured it out and now it's rad. Interesting noodle dishes from different regions in China. Noodles are exceedingly chewy and tasty, and the teas are also really good. Pretty inexpensive option.

Breads of India, the Berkeley location, is a real delight. Small, no wait, different curries and featured breads every day, as well as a couple of standard dishes like saag paneer. I once had some coconut chicken curry thing here with their recommended cracked pepper naan and it sort of changed my life.

The Hotsy Totsy in Albany is one of the best bars in town, and it has Tacos El Autlense in the parking lot, probably the best taco truck north of Fruitvale. I've had many a memorable night at the Hots.

Fieldwork Brewing in Berkeley is totally on fire. They opened not quite 2 years ago and have already expanded to a couple new cities. Really well-designed beers and their food options (usually fried stuff like empanadas and pasties and whatever) are super legit.

Shanghai Dumpling King in Glen Park/Bernal Heights in San Francisco is a great place to go if you want to eat around 20 dumplings each for less than $15 per person. I recommend the Shanghai dumplings, spicy wonton dumplings, and potstickers.

Kenning fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Oct 7, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Xaris posted:

Thanks. I haven't tried Noodles Fresh and Great China is definitely a place I've been meaning to try. I'll definitely plan to try Noodles Fresh here soon with the upcoming rainy season. I'm a little pissed that Berkeley has poo poo pho options, especially now that Cafe V closed down. The best you can do is heading over to Oakland like Monster Pho or something.

Hotsy Totsy is great and I need to go there more.

I love Fieldwork but man they're loving packed as poo poo whenever I go now so it's kind of not as fun and lo-key like it was around when they opened and you could just chat and chill with some random people and bartender. Maybe I just need to start going in the middle of week now :(

If you're looking for Pho, there's a Pho Au Sen where the Sizzler used to be in Albany on San Pablo. It's just as good at the original in East Oakland, but it's not in East Oakland!

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

BearDrivingTruck posted:

Saul's in Berkeley is the only Jewish deli that I know of in the East Bay, which is probably a crime. It's sort of pricey, but the Reubens are so good, you guys.

Can confirm, those are really loving good.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

beanbrew posted:

Anyone know of a decent, quick cafe or diner for weekday breakfast in Albany or Berkeley?

Oh man, Sam's Log Cabin on San Pablo is the loving best on a weekday. Same amazing food, but none of the weekend crowds.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

LooksLikeABabyRat posted:

Anyone have take out dim sum recommendations for Berkeley/Oakland area?

L&L in El Cerrito was really good but they closed a year or two ago. I went to Saigon Seafood Harbor Restaurant near the Pac East Mall for dim sum once, but as I recall I was too hung over to remember much about quality.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

AnonSpore posted:

Speaking of Chinese noodles, does anyone have a good place for dao xiao mian? Never had them before but the concept of shaving noodles from dough instead of rolling it out always fascinated me.

Sichuan Fusion at the Pac East Mall in Richmond/El Cerrito has pretty legit dao xiao mian. I usually get the tomato beef noodles, which are sweet and mild, but I think there are also spicier preparations. And if you're going to be at Sichuan Fusion anyway, you have to get the cold beef tendon starter. I also can safely recommend the Uyghur lamb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

amethystbliss posted:

Rosalind in Pacifica is really good. Also Backhaus.

Seconding Rosalind, their sesame rye bread is fantastic for smørrebrød.