Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lock stock and Cheryl
Dec 19, 2009

by zen death robot
SF bay area peoplegoons, post your eating recommendations. I will humbly offer mine, almost all of them are in the low-moderate price range (OP updated as people submit recommendations by category and as I remember them). I'm looking for places that are a cut above the rest, either they punch way above their weight for the money, or are just best-in-class.

Indian:
Pak Wan - 2 locations, Mission and Tenderloin. Same price as the rest, good portions, a cut above the competition. Won't give you face-melting spicy, but whatever, Indian restauranteurs are extra careful about hurting their white diners.. Get the Saag Paneer, Lamb Biryani, or Channa Masala. $25-30 for a meal for two.

Mexican: *puts on boxing helmet, tapes knuckles*
El Farolito - locations around SF and Oakland. Good size, good flavor. ~$13 for a burrito, coke and tip
Cancun - locations around SF and Oakland. Close competitor to El Farolito. Same stuff, same prices, very close in quality $13 for burrito, coke, and tip
El Gordo - Best taco truck in East Oakland. International & 42nd. Good prices, heavy portions, A+ style (they throw in a little grilled onion.) $10 for burrito, coke, and tip

Thai: I'm not too familiar with the Thai in the bay, but I've been to a few
Tuk Tuk Thai - Good food, so-so prices, will give you food as spicy as you ask for. ~$20 for entree, side, drink, and tip

German:
Walzwerk - East German eats in SF at South Van Ness & 15th. Top-notch food, excellent desserts, spendy. $60+ for a complete dinner for two

Ethiopian:
Red Sea - Oakland at Claremont & Telegraph. Good portions, good spice, good price. $30 for a meal for 2 with plenty of injera.

Pizza: The pizza sucks here. Very very few places make the cut.
Serrano's - SF at 21st and Valencia. Slices baked fresh, thin crust, big, good toppings. $3.50 for cheese, ~$5 for specialty slices, ~$25 for specialty pizzas.
Arinell (aka Hesher Pizza) - SF and Berkeley. Cheap, thin crust New York or thick crust school cafeteria, really solid for the money. Like they took the best pizza place out of your New York or Jersey childhood (constantly blasting rock music and all) and plopped it into the bay. $3 slices,

Japanese: A million so-so places. Only one I really like
Geta - Oakland, 41st & Piedmont. Cheap, good for the money, good daily sashimi/nigiri specials. $4-7 rolls, $7-10 entrees

Burgers: I don't often go out for burgers, and as long as it's juicy, I'm happy
Super Duper burger - california chain. Slightly upmarket. Juicy, decent fries, decent pickles, poor selection. Combos around $12
Barney's - Local chain, more upmarket. Great variety, good meat, good fries. ~$13-15 burger combos

Banh Mi: One place is far and away the best
Saigon Sandwich - SF at Larkin & Eddy. Cheap as gently caress, piled high, quick, killer. ~$3.50-$4.50 for sandwiches, $1-2 drinks,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lock stock and Cheryl
Dec 19, 2009

by zen death robot
Bonus points to anyone that can recommend properly spicy food! I swear, around here you ask for extra spicy food, and they nod and sprinkle in an extra shake of black pepper

lock stock and Cheryl
Dec 19, 2009

by zen death robot

snyprmag posted:

Anybody got a favorite Famer's Market? I just moved down to San Leandro and the Bayfaire one has a lot of good stuff at good prices.

The farmer's markets are all over the place. My favorite has to be the Alemany farmer's market. It's on a big lot, tons of vendors, good variety, good prices. It usually doesn't feel as crowded due to the sheer size. Go there early if you want the pick of the litter, go there later if you want clearance deals on vendors that are trying to leave.

lock stock and Cheryl
Dec 19, 2009

by zen death robot

lampey posted:

Hopscotch in uptown Oakland has flights of whiskey and all around great food.

Shan Dong in Oakland chinatown has the best dumplings. The handmade noodles are worth the upcharge.

Little shin shin in piedmont has great Chinese food all around. Amazing orange chicken.

1/4 lb burrito on 25th and San pablo has bomb Carne asada fries. Big portions, get it for lunch pretty often.

Pho Sinh in Alameda has good vegetarian pho. Also great vegetarian garlic noodles.

Are there any veggie burger recommendations in the east bay?

Seconding on Shan Dong, their handmade noodles are out of this loving world

lock stock and Cheryl
Dec 19, 2009

by zen death robot

Hadlock posted:

Golden Boy pizza is the best pizza in the city that I've eaten so far, and i eat a lot of pizza. Though they have an annoying habit (like most popular places in this city) of slowing down service when the line out the door gets too short.

I absolutely refuse to stand in line for food, except for golden boy, fantastic stuff.

Re: Tony's, I've heard slice house is Tonys pizza, just by the slice, to go. Haven't tried it yet through.

My current favorite in the city is Serrano's, though I admit I haven't tried much North Beach (outside of my stomping grounds).

Someone gave me money for the Trans Day of Pizza, so I bought an 18" Margherita from Leaning Tower of Pizza in Oakland by Lake Merritt. It was spectacular and so far the best pizza I've had in East Bay.

lock stock and Cheryl
Dec 19, 2009

by zen death robot
Sourdough bread (ideally in a big French boule) + it's it ice cream sandwich (in vanilla, chocolate, mint, pumpkin spice, strawberry or espresso flavor) + Mission-style burrito (thick as my forearm, packed with Spanish rice, beans, crema Mexicana, salsa, avocado, cheese, pickled jalapeno, and either Carnitas, carne asada, chicken, al pastor, or shrimp.)

Apart from easy cock, those are the most emblematic San Francisco eats I can think of.

lock stock and Cheryl
Dec 19, 2009

by zen death robot

Reiterpallasch posted:

Saigon Sandwich is right by there and has amazing (and cheap) bahn mi, but they close at 5:30 exactly. Maybe Zuni?

gently caress, I *love* Saigon sandwich, I used to go there all the time when I went to that clinic. Good banh mi, stacked thick, nice and cheap, with a good selection of drinks and desserts

lock stock and Cheryl
Dec 19, 2009

by zen death robot
Had Indian pizza from Zante tonight. Holy gently caress it's sooooooo good. I almost forgot about this place after leaving SF, but it's so amazing I can't even.

Paneer tikka masala pizza with fresh parsley, masala sauce, mozzarella, paneer, eggplant, and cauliflower. Too tasty

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lock stock and Cheryl
Dec 19, 2009

by zen death robot

Bliss Authority posted:

Casa Latina is a good place two blocks north of University and San Pablo with a $2 taco tuesday.

On the one hand, they are small tacos. On the other hand, they are very, very good tacos. The Al Pastor is killer.

Los Moles in west berkeley has an all-you-can-eat taco tuesday. Good taco bar, good agua fresca, good mole~~