Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bliss Authority
Jul 6, 2011

I'm not saying it was witches

but it was witches

There is a lot of good food in my stomping grounds, and I'm very sad every time a really good cheap place closes and gets replaced with a pricey bistro. That said:

When I'm in downtown Oakland, the way I get good cheap food is by wandering into Chinatown and getting dim sum from any of the innumerable dim sum shops there. It's not fancy but it is good, and they have savory turnip cakes there, which I have had a hell of a time finding elsewhere. We also usually get banh mi from over there for about as much per ounce.

My roommate works at Bobby G's Pizza on University off Shattuck, which is probably one of those places I was complaining about just two paragraphs before but screw you, it's a great value if you're three or four people and you actually get a pizza there. Just don't go in there and "get sandwiches real quick" like my dad tried to do once over my protests. :argh: You will be there for an hour and it will not be worth it. Get entire pizzas instead.

There's a Smoke's Poutinerie off Telegraph one block south of UC Berkeley, near where Games of Berkeley is moving, and it owns.

The Cheesesteak Shop is a local chain that has a doofy logo and a great cheesesteak (or chickencheese if that's your thing) on imported Amoroso buns. They use provolone rather than Cheeze Wiz, griddle the onions, use jarred pickled peppers from Philly, and I have never had a bad cheesesteak there. They also have a half-off sides deal on Wednesdays.

I live near the Berkeley Everett and Jones, will do a trip report after Christmas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bliss Authority
Jul 6, 2011

I'm not saying it was witches

but it was witches

Casa Latina is a good place two blocks north of University and San Pablo with a $2 taco tuesday.

On the one hand, they are small tacos. On the other hand, they are very, very good tacos. The Al Pastor is killer.