Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity
Don't go to Coqueta. Michael Chiarello is a sexual harrasser.

Bellota is run by two chefs who used to be at Coqueta.

https://sf.eater.com/2018/1/5/16856112/michael-chiarello-sobe-food-wine-festival-miami

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

big black turnout posted:

I mean, no one has answered this for instance and none of these places y'all've mentioned have it from what I've seen. This is absolutely bog standard fare from the Midwest to the southeast, but it seems like it simply doesn't exist out here.

The Chinese disapora is vast and the kinds of food that evolved depend heavily on what groups of immigrants moved where and when. Your attitude came off a bit as "no true American Chinese food". There's huge regional differences in American Chinese food, and even going from New York to Boston, there's pretty distinct differences. That said, you are correct that this kind of American Chinese food doesn't really exist out here, and while other people are suggesting great places for American Chinese food, it's not really going to satisfy your craving.

Nea posted:

god ok i have a very specific question here. in the midwest when you get sweet and sour chicken at a chinese restauraunt it's these big, deep fried meatball type things of chicken that you'd dip in the sauce, there's a nice, crunchy fried texture to them that gives way as you bite in. there's usually a bit of air in there. it's great.

here, it's a much smaller piece of fried chicken, that has a totally different texture and tends to come pre-sauced.

Is there any place that serves anything like that in San Jose specifically? it's a craving i've had for years and can't fulfill. image provided

To answer the original question, I think the closest you are going to get in San Jose is the orange chicken at Evergreen Panda, though I believe it comes pre-sauced. The rest of the food is as close to midwest / east coast-y as you're going to get.

https://www.yelp.com/biz/evergreen-panda-san-jose

You're unfortunately not going to find "Chinese Spare Ribs" or fried wontons out here. There's really just not a market for it.