Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Anyone have good recommendations around San Mateo? No particular preference with regards to cuisine, preferably around the 10~30 per person range.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
How was the line? I'm looking to maybe grab lunch there this weekend which seems like an extremely wise and good idea for a new restaurant with good word of mouth in the bay area on St. Patrick's Day weekend

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Whew what a line

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Anybody have a good rec for the kind of dimsum you order in line and it's all put into boxes to go, not the kind where you sit down and get it brought to you in carts? I normally go to Good Mong Kok but I was wondering if there was some other place I should be checking out. Doesn't have to be in SF.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Speaking of Chinese noodles, does anyone have a good place for dao xiao mian? Never had them before but the concept of shaving noodles from dough instead of rolling it out always fascinated me.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Bit of a long shot but are there any decent kaitenzushi places in the bay? The only place I know of is Kula and I haven't been there in a while; reviews indicate the quality's gone down since it opened.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

I need recommendations for really good:

Carbonara
Tonkatsu
Udon

Anywhere in the bay. Also is there any good conveyor belt sushi around this area? Or even decent?

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

tbh the random kaitenzushiya I went to in Japan were way better than most sushi places I've been to in America so I figured it was worth an ask at least

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Because I don't want omakase I want a place to sit there by myself and stack up 20 plates of tamago or something if I feel like it

Thanks to everyone else for the other recs. I dropped by Marugame a few weeks ago but the line was so long I just got something else instead. I'll try and catch em during off hours or something.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

In Korea some places will just straight up give you plastic garbage bags to put your outer clothes in so you can keep the meat smell off of them

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Anyone got a good rec for a wine tasting thingie in Napa Valley?

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Thanks for the advice/recs. I don't drink myself (I'll be driving), but I have relatives visiting from out of the country soon and they said they'd like to visit Napa so I kinda figured they might be interested in something like that? If there's something a bit more casual than a full seated wine tasting but still gets to sample some decent wines then I think that'd be good too.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Anyone got a good butcher rec around San Carlos/San Mateo? I can drive around a little further than that if I need to but I'd rather not make the drive all the way up to SF proper if I can help it. Looking for guanciale that's not too pricey and if other stuff is good too then that's a bonus.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Carillon posted:

Pape's is where I've gone when I want good quality meat. It's definitely not the cheapest, but I'm sure they'd be able to source what you need if they don't have it already.

Pape's said they had fresh jowl bacon but didn't have and wouldn't do guanciale unless I was willing to bulk order 10+ pounds. I'll hit up Bianchini's tomorrow and see what they say. Thanks for the recs.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

AnonSpore posted:

Pape's said they had fresh jowl bacon but didn't have and wouldn't do guanciale unless I was willing to bulk order 10+ pounds. I'll hit up Bianchini's tomorrow and see what they say. Thanks for the recs.

Bianchini's was a bust too, deli guy didn't even know what I was talking about :/

Oh well, guess I'll make the trek up to SF proper.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

More a point of curiosity than anything but, are there any particular knife sharpening services that are known to be good/to be avoided in the bay?

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

I am definitely not industry, I just wanna get my knives sharpened by a professional who knows what they're doing once, so I have a point of reference to work from when I try to do my own. Also drat, I live in San Mateo so that's pretty far away.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

SwissArmyDruid posted:

https://mobilesharpening.org/drop-off-locations

I think these are the guys I handed my knives off to last time, my dropoff location was the Alameda one, (I haven't lived in Alameda in almost a decade now, but Encinal Market is where they would pick up my knives) and hey, what do you know, they have a San Mateo drop location.

If you want to give me a few days, I can swing back through there and ask if they were the old guys or if the owner changed or anything in the interval.

I've got nothing on my hands but time, as I'm sure everyone else does. I'd appreciate it but don't go out of your way to do it or anything.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Wise fwom yo gwave, thread

Anyone got a list of good bakeries in the bay? I never paid much attention to breads but my partner was seized by a sudden hankering for croissants. The only bakery I recognize in CA is Bouchon but that's 1) in Yountville and 2) owned by an rear end, so I'd rather not if I can help it.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Thanks for the recs all, will definitely check some of these out.

OGS-Remix posted:

There's some pretty good bakeries all over the bay, was there a specific area you were looking at?

Sorry, that was definitely vague. I'm thinking around San Mateo to San Jose, though I'm not averse to traveling a bit for good stuff.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Is there a place that does kbbq but not the open hall style seating? My girlfriend loves the grill-it-yourself aspect of kbbq but she can have sensory overload issues when there's a ton of people around being loud and such. I would suggest just doing it at home with a portable burner but I don't want to deal with getting all the banchan together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

OGS-Remix posted:

Chungdam in the south bay has private rooms. It's a little pricey but very good. Their sibling restaurant Seorai might have private rooms as well but you can call ahead and check.

Apart from that, I can't think of any that don't do open hall style kbbq.

Taking a look at Chungdam, thanks for the recommendation!