Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Get reservations to Alcatraz NOW. It is the best tourist trap you'll ever visit. Eerie and informative. The cruise there and back on the Bay is pretty beautiful, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

It's raining, and in the ancient winter traditions of our people the interstate exit ramp underpass (280 at Edgewood) is flooding.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

lock stock and Cheryl posted:

Sourdough bread (ideally in a big French boule) + it's it ice cream sandwich (in vanilla, chocolate, mint, pumpkin spice, strawberry or espresso flavor) + Mission-style burrito (thick as my forearm, packed with Spanish rice, beans, crema Mexicana, salsa, avocado, cheese, pickled jalapeno, and either Carnitas, carne asada, chicken, al pastor, or shrimp.)

Apart from easy cock, those are the most emblematic San Francisco eats I can think of.
Dungeness crab, classically as crab Louis or cioppino.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Ramen Dojo is wonderful but you *will* wait in line.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Carillon posted:

For my fellow goons here, Groupon's running a decent little promotion if you're interested in checking out Izzy's, dinner for 2 for 72 bucks. https://www.groupon.com/deals/izzy-s-steaks-and-chops-san-fran

Thank you so much for this. My husband and I love the Izzy's in San Carlos, and we desperately needed a night out.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Ranter posted:

I found by accident one of the 4 remaining real oak charcoal grill korean bbq places that have grandfathered permit to let you grill with charcoal at your table, in San Bruno of all places! It just changed owners/chefs a few months ago and was amazing. It's not good for first/second dates because you and your date are going to smell like you went camping, the smoke gets in your hair and clothes.
Please, please, the name?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Sorry, down my part of the Peninsula there are often multiple Korean BBQ places per town, and I assumed San Bruno followed suit. Try that Google in Sunnyvale, for instance.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Development posted:

wursthall in san mateo?

I am so in. (This may be a deterrent.)

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

Almost no restaurant open for regular dinner hours is ever going to have a 7pm slot open, they essentially don’t exist because then the restaurant can’t have multiple turns on the table (especially large tables.) Youre probably going to need to either plan for sometime close to opening time or more like 8/830
That's useful information! Thank you.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Toe Rag posted:

Quotes like that seem suspect to me. Why can’t they raise their prices accordingly, especially if they’re still busy? Are they already priced at the tipping point? They also blame a change in dining culture but there is no elaboration as to what that means. That could be the reporters fault, though.
The prices you pay to keep employees on board, pay the rent, repair equipment that breaks, &c, have risen far faster than the prices people are willing to pay for food.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

got off on a technicality posted:

Most of the people I know who care about food are increasingly cooking it themselves and hosting dinner parties. Which is a pity because access to good food prepared with love is such a democratizing thing that we're losing slowly
.... but home cooking is good food prepared with love? In any case, I've had some transcendent meals here in the last year; the two most recent were at Jeanne d'Arc and at Mourad.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

AnonSpore posted:

Anyone got a good butcher rec around San Carlos/San Mateo? I can drive around a little further than that if I need to but I'd rather not make the drive all the way up to SF proper if I can help it. Looking for guanciale that's not too pricey and if other stuff is good too then that's a bonus.

Bianchini's in San Carlos is magnificent and will cut to order if you call in advance. I once got a veal breast for stuffing for Christmas. They're one of the few grocery stores left that order bulk cows and do the cutting themselves. Their produce is also very good, and their deli has an imported-from-Italy rosemary ham that is to die for. It's Italian-owned, so I'll guarantee they either have guanciale or can get it. They have a lot of seasonal Italian specialties including multiple varieties of panettone.

Arsenic Lupin fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Oct 3, 2019

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

https://twitter.com/DylanRoss/status/1188640065808814080?s=19

Also, sweet sweet electrical power has returned to me.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

On allergies, I agree that it's your responsibility to advocate for yourself, and people should expect to do so. On plating, I genuinely only discovered in the last decade that it's okay to ask the chef, "Can I have the side from Dish A with Dish B"? Somehow I always thought that was in the same category as "Your onion soup, but make it vegan".

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

404notfound posted:

Anybody know where to get good bread in the south bay? I was just up in Berkeley with a friend and got to check out Acme, which had a huge variety of different breads. But when I try to look for bread/bakeries down here, it's mostly pastries and cakes.

I just want a decent selection of reasonably priced loaves of bread, but it's been hard trying to find something anywhere near San Jose. The closest I've come is Manresa, but from the website, their offerings seem surprisingly scant.

The Acme down here is consistently stale. Try As Kneaded; I think it's very good, and for whatever reason it's fresh the day you buy it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

https://twitter.com/henrykleeKTVU/status/1529954455289901057