Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

luminalflux posted:

There's one in mission / Potrero but the clientele was all bougie tech people when I went

Sadly I feel that's pretty much #bayarea these days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Does anyone have a good recommendation for a spot in Chinatown? I have a friend in town and they want to go and eat in Chinatown and not the "american" style stuff they grew up with. I know it's not super well regarded from a culinary perspective, but I'd hope there is a few spots worth checking out.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

OGS-Remix posted:

Does it have to be in Chinatown SF? Because if you're willing to travel a little to Milbrae, there are several really good Chinese places there.

I know! I'd have loved to take the to take them to Royal Feast for instance, but yeah it's gonna be Chinatown.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Ranter posted:

Z&Y gets rated highly in publications/instagrams but you can get better szechuan in Millbrae and other locations further away. If you want a guaranteed decent experience in the city it's not a bad idea.

Mr. Jius is high end with some fusion/modernity to it. Good cocktails. If you go here PM me I'll see if I can get you VIP treatment.

How was it btw? I too liked to frequent Koi Palace when I was further south, and I like a lot of the Millbrae joints, but I'm still yet to get out to the north side for this.

Can do! I'll try and figure out what I can get away with, hopefully it's something that I can make fly with what they want.

As for Palette, it was amazing! My girlfriend said we should just do a dinner there out of dumplings next time and I can't say she's wrong, the scallop Siu Mai is amazing. I really liked the Cha Siu myself, it had some really good flavor, tasted like there was honey in there and was fatty but not too greasy. Overall would definitely do again, I'd likely go back over lunch/brunch to try the Bao.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Well if we're thinking San Mateo Taishoken just opened it's doors, it's a supposedly legendary ramen spot.

I'd be down too though for wherever really.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Development posted:

we went on saturday to check it out and the line was baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad. maybe 3-4 hours long?

yelp review liek:

went across the street to champagne instead and got the best fuckin' roasted squab I've ever had.

helps being cantonese tho

Holy poo poo! Well good call on the headsup. Wow. I was thinking of trying to go but uhh not worth it right now it seems like.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Toe Rag posted:

OK, so there are 10 posters expressing interest, and 10 is the minimum for a reservation at Wursthall. I can also drive people from SF if needed. Who is volunteering to contact them about a booking? :colbert:

I'd be happy to if there's a date in mind that works?

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Ranter posted:

The plates at your table are little paint palettes where you spoon in the sauces you would like for dipping. Our server presented the sauces and said you spoon them in, but she didn't bring the spoons like the tables around us had, so we messily poured them in. The sauces were "house" soy, some kinda fancy seasoned chili and this was the best one most flavor, hot mustard, cilantro/lime and finally a regular smooth/thick hot sauce like sriracha.

That was one part that was curious to me as I thought soy sauce took at least a year to ferment and they haven't been open that long. I spoke with my girlfriend about it when we went but didn't ask a server how that works.

Carillon fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Jul 25, 2019

Carillon
May 9, 2014

So looks like the 17th and 18th with best for the most people (8), with the 17th having all green. Only having 8 we'd have to just show up, or are there two more we want to shoot for? What times work best.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

OGS-Remix posted:

Ok the Wursthall people finally got back to me and I got reservations on 8/18 at 6pm.

Hopefully that works for everyone still who participated in the Doodle.

Awesome, looking forward to it.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Went to Mister Jiu's for my girlfriend's birthday thanks to this thread. She loved it! Thanks all for the recommendation. Highlights were definitely mapo tofu, egg drop, and the steak fried rice. The mapo was very good, reminded me of a more classic approach but the silken tofu 'block' was a nice touch. The egg drop really comes across as corn soup with egg drop on top, but still really good, I loved the squash blossom they floated on it. Lastly the steak fried rice was rich without being heavy, the heart really added some great flavor and richness.

Small downsides, the dutch crunch pork buns were great but inconsistent, one or two had the topping just fall off before biting into it. The dumplings had a great filling and flavor (plus they were dyed pink!) but I thought the wrapper was a bit tough, maybe it's a style thing but they came across overworked to me.

Cocktails were across the board great. I'd wanted to try Baiju in a drink and their version let the spirit shine through but tempered it so it wasn't too overwhelming.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

AnonSpore posted:

Thanks for the advice/recs. I don't drink myself (I'll be driving), but I have relatives visiting from out of the country soon and they said they'd like to visit Napa so I kinda figured they might be interested in something like that? If there's something a bit more casual than a full seated wine tasting but still gets to sample some decent wines then I think that'd be good too.

TBH you'll have a much better time finding more casual stuff in Sonoma.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

All the sea bream you could eat!

Carillon
May 9, 2014

The Glumslinger posted:

Anyone have recommendations for a soup dumpling place in the city? Or dumplings in general?

XLB I liked at Palette, Kenji thinks the best are at Din Ding in Fremont fwiw (assuming he hasn't changed that opinion).

Dumpling wise my go to spot in the city for dim sum including dumplings is Good Luck Dim Sum over on Clement.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Plouf's closing. Which is a real bummer to me, I've been going with my father now for close to 20 years. Interesting quote from Eric Klein though ""It doesn't really make any money anymore," said Klein. "We are still busy, but the costs are getting so out of hand.""

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Carillon posted:

Plouf's closing. Which is a real bummer to me, I've been going with my father now for close to 20 years. Interesting quote from Eric Klein though ""It doesn't really make any money anymore," said Klein. "We are still busy, but the costs are getting so out of hand.""

Man what a way to send off a restaurant. I made a reservation 3 weeks ago for 12, called to confirm Friday, went to the place and was told there was zero indication of my reservation. Eventually got seated, but man had I known the place was closing and we'd have gotten luke-warm mussels and a huge order mixup I wouldn't have bothered. I went to Caps when they were closing and that felt like a respectful end, this was just a poo poo show. TBF it seemed like people had quit etc. but I wouldn't recommend finishing out any memories there.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

AnonSpore posted:

Anyone got a good butcher rec around San Carlos/San Mateo? I can drive around a little further than that if I need to but I'd rather not make the drive all the way up to SF proper if I can help it. Looking for guanciale that's not too pricey and if other stuff is good too then that's a bonus.

Pape's is where I've gone when I want good quality meat. It's definitely not the cheapest, but I'm sure they'd be able to source what you need if they don't have it already.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

AnonSpore posted:

Bianchini's was a bust too, deli guy didn't even know what I was talking about :/

Oh well, guess I'll make the trek up to SF proper.

Maybe a silly question but have you called around to whole foods or mollie stones? I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't have it, but if you haven't might be worth a shot.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Has anyone been to Bellota? I'm headed there Friday and trying to see if the paella is worth ordering.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

got off on a technicality posted:

Let us know how it turns out; I’ve been meaning to try

So a lot of it was really good. We ordered jamon iberico, a tortilla and a paella, split between lechon and setas. The jamon and pan con tomate were really good, highlights for sure. The tortilla was also good good flavor, really well set egg, not to tough or anything like that, I would say missing out on salt though. Similarly the paella also came across as a bit under seasoned, and the bottom didn't have a crunchy soccarat, but rather it was a thin layer of softer browning. I haven't really had a paella like that before, I'm used to the more crunchy kind, so don't know if that's a style thing or just a miss on the kitchen's part. The mushrooms were good, wildish, the main interesting one was maitaike. Overall a solid meal, but I did feel they could have used more salt in the cooked stuff.

Drinks wise, gin and tonics were great. You get a choice of a bunch of different gins, 5 different tonics, and then they come out with some nice little bundles herbs in each glass. I did two spanish gin's I've never had before that were delicious.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

OGS-Remix posted:

Have you been to Coquetta and tried the paella there? If yes, which one do you think is better?

I haven't but it looks good, would love to A/B test there.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

interrodactyl posted:

Don't go to Coqueta. Michael Chiarello is a sexual harrasser.

Bellota is run by two chefs who used to be at Coqueta.

https://sf.eater.com/2018/1/5/16856112/michael-chiarello-sobe-food-wine-festival-miami

Oh drat, well thanks for the headsup, didn't know that.

OGS-Remix posted:

Oh I didn't know that. I guess I'm not going there again. Time to try out Bellota.

Do let me know what you think about that paella. I'd definitely be curious to hear your thoughts.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Anyone have a favorite bbq restaurant in SF or on the peninsula? We usually go to 3 pigs in San Carlos, and have been to Gorilla a few times, but looking to take my partner our for a fun meal so would love a new recommendation.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

luminalflux posted:

Also pizza here is pretty mediocre across the board.

I thought a lot of what you said was interesting, but I'm gonna have to disagree on that one. There are some really good pizza places out here.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Ranter posted:

OK buddy I was being nice but since we're gonna do this

This is a dumb post.

Here I thought they were talking about the squeeze a lot of SF restaurants are feeling with rent and labor, and that they resulted in closures of some amazing places, which I could have been onboard with!

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Growing up goat hill was always a great place, I haven't been to the original location in a while, but it definitely was a defining pizza taste for me.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Anyone been to Liholiho Yacht Club? Any good?

Carillon
May 9, 2014

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

Uh, LihoLiho is INCREDIBLY good. Don’t bother with Dear Inga though. I’ve eaten at Liho maybe 10 times over the years and never had a bad dish. Get the pineapple dessert for sure.

That's great to hear! I'll definitely check it out then.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

How's crab season been treating everyone? I've been loving the season, I felt like last years wasn't great so good to see this coming back with full force. Price wise I've been seeing 7-8 bucks a pound for the live ones out off the boats in HMB.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Looks like both Daly City and San Mateo Total WIne have some in stock, specifically the Rye and the Salted Caramel according to their website.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Might be too far north for you, but Backhaus does some amazing stuff. They definitely have some nice variety too if you get there early enough.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

I'm not a Santa Ramen fan myself, the time I went I had what sounds like a similar experience. I've personally really liked Ramen Parlor, been a few times and always been good. Also I've only been once, but did enjoy Maru Ichi in MTV.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

I'd call and ask if Mortar & Pestle, the cocktail bar behind/attached to Curry Up Now is going to. They have food to meet the requirement so might be something they do!

Fake edit: just looked and turns out they say the bar is closed on the website so I guess not.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

I'm glad I got to go out early March before the virus shut down everything. Sons and Daughters was a bunch of fun, loved most of that meal. PCH though before dinner was a revelation. Those cocktails were amazing.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

AnonSpore posted:

I am definitely not industry, I just wanna get my knives sharpened by a professional who knows what they're doing once, so I have a point of reference to work from when I try to do my own. Also drat, I live in San Mateo so that's pretty far away.

I'm in San Mateo too and I've someone who I use exclusively (not in the biz or anything, but always really like how he treats my knives). It's not by hand as I believe Bernal is, but he's great. Otherwise I've heard fine things about Perfect Edge.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Steely Dad posted:

I am also in the San Mateo Dull Knife Club. Who’s your guy?

Lemme check that he's working right now and will let you know soon!

Carillon
May 9, 2014

AnonSpore posted:

I am definitely not industry, I just wanna get my knives sharpened by a professional who knows what they're doing once, so I have a point of reference to work from when I try to do my own. Also drat, I live in San Mateo so that's pretty far away.

Steely Dad posted:

I am also in the San Mateo Dull Knife Club. Who’s your guy?
Messaged you both his number!

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Crab getting delayed again, they're saying maybe the 24th the boats can go out, but maybe not until the new year. I usually look forward to crab got new years so hoping they can go out soon.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Ranter posted:

They're kicking 2000 unhoused out of their hotels but god damnit I deserve some crab

Ugh that's lovely and I hadn't heard that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carillon
May 9, 2014

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

E: sorry, this is the food thread. We are sad about no crab but we are still going to do spicy seafood boil for holiday meal, what are y’all making?

Hog island ships oysters so we got done of those in the fridge, excited as I haven't had an oyster since at least the start of this whole thing.