Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Crab boats finally went out! Looking forward to actually buying some, nice thing to look forward to given everything else going on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carillon
May 9, 2014

If you're on the mid-peninsula I really really like Backhaus. Their pastries are on point and the bread is super good.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

luminalflux posted:

You can now get union-made morning buns from Tartine

I've moved back to the city now after a stint in LA. My whole food context was basically mission/divis/soma, and i'm now in the sunset (Taraval/19th). What's good out here? I love all cuisines but i'm really hankering for some vietnamese

Well growing up one of our favorite places was PPQ beef noodle house. I haven't been in 5 years maybe? But the last time I went I remember it being awesome. Otherwise the place that I used to go to a whole bunch was King of Noodle. They do handmade noodles and I'm pretty sure the dumplings are hand made as well. I haven't been there since the whole pandemic thing started so it's been a minute, but if they're still around I can only say good things about them.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Does anyone have a good source of fresh masa on the peninsula? I've been working with the maseca and thought it might be fun to see what fresh stuff produces.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Appreciate the headsup, but yeah with lines like that probably not something to make a trip up for.

Speaking of the bay, I remember vaguely reading about two new tiki bars that opened in the city in the last two years or so. Googling now all I can really find are re-openings or stuff from 2018. Does anyone know which two that might be? I think one was Zombie Village but I can't remember the other one.

Also to add something to the convo, Fog Bird recently opened in San Mateo and it's fantastic. We've been a few times now and the cocktails there have been top notch.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

luminalflux posted:

Only ones I know of are Last Rites and Zombie Village (RIP Tradition) back in 2018

I love tiki so if there’s new ones in the city I’d love to check em out

That must be what I'm thinking of, I may also have been confusing that with Dr. Funk which did just open? Thanks though, it's tough with covid I feel like I've lost all concept of what's new

Carillon
May 9, 2014

In Chinatown we really loved Mr Jiu's. Prepandemic and all but it was amazing. More old school SF look at Tadich. They do some amazing fish, I live their sanddabs which I think are locally caught. It's a fun break and very much part of SF history.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

I generally like highway 1 brewing and have enjoyed St.. Angeli's when looking for things in the coast m that night not be enough of an drive though depending on where you're starting from.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Not sure if anyone else went to Foodieland Night Market in San Mateo, but we went and it was awesome. The vendors themselves are producing some great food, we had some amazing potstickers there, and some great spam musubi. The lines to some spots were super long but everything generally moved pretty well. They're going to have events in Berkeley and Sacramento before coming back to San Mateo in September, we're definitely going again and it's worth checking it out if you can.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Foodieland is back again for that interested. It was pretty great last time I went and we're planning on going again. Fun time and solid food!

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Some places were definitely expensive, but not everyplace was that bad. Also if you avoided the entrance and went to the back, the lines were a lot better.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

I've seen their lines, I keep waffling if it's worth it, but I'll definitely check it out given the recommendation.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Anyone been to the the new tasting menu at Mr. Jiu's? I keep wanting to go but life events keep taking me away from there.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

We went out to Viridian last night before going to the Paramount in Oakland, and it was awesome. I went on the strength of the Soleil Ho review, and I'd say it lives up to the hype. We don't dine out a lot, but whenever we follow one of her reviews, it has lived up to the expectations.

The cocktails were really good, the Tomato Beef is just a lot of fun, the Taiwan Bento is super nutty, I don't know which nuts make up their toasted nut orgeat, but it's pretty fantastic, plus the drink comes in a ceramic glass that looks like a takeout container.

We got the rice cakes and tartar to start, both of which were great. Rice cakes were very savory and meaty, despite being vegetarian, maybe slightly too greasy, but otherwise fantastic. The tartar was stunning, with the toasted milk bread it was so nice. Sweet pickled pear at first made me nervous, but I thought paired nicely with the sirloin, bringing everything into focus. The dry fried wings were also a hit. I don't know what they put on them to make them so bright, it tasted almost like Amchoor, but could have been lime powder, but it really made them shine. Lastly the garlic noodles I loved, but my partner felt they tasted too much of fish sauce. I thought they were savory and delicious, but the garlic did fade into the background a bit.

Other than the dumb app, it was a great experience, and something worth checking out if you're in the area.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Went to Swan Oyster Depot yesterday for lunch, and it lives up to its reputation. It's not cheap, but they don't skimp on quality or quantity. Plus what's really nice is that you can get half orders of things. The scallops were a huge highlight, as was the crab fat vinagrette.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carillon
May 9, 2014

obi_ant posted:

Taking something to go, then walking up those hills to Huntington Park is pretty legit.

I can see that being awesome. It was nice to sit at the counter, but if I go again will definitely do the togo option. The smoked salmon is some of the best I've had too, it is really good.