Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

minato
Jun 7, 2004

cutty cain't hang, say 7-up.
Taco Defender
See the cable car museum (it's free), go for a quick drink in the Tonga Room tiki bar (near Union Square) but don't go at peak times.

Dolores Park is normally great for people-watching AND it's near Tartine Bakery and Bi-rite Ice-cream which are very popular (even though they are not necessarily the best in the city). In December Dolores Park may be underpopulated though.

Fisherman's Wharf is a tourist trap BUT you should go there anyway and see Musée Mécanique (vintage arcade games), the USS Pampanito (WWII submarine), and the sea lions on Pier 39. You'll also be spitting distance from Alcatraz - if you take the ferry to/from Sausalito then you can get a close up view and imagine Nic Cage and Sean Connery busting in, or Clint Eastwood busting out.

The Haight is a shadow of its former hippie self and should mostly be avoided.

There are some great places in Chinatown but also lots of tourist traps too, so be sure to check out any restaurant on Yelp first. I like House of Nanking, and nearby is Little Italy with Tommaso's which is great.

I found a fantastic vegan sushi place in the Mission called Shizen. I'm a carnivore but this sushi tasted so good I didn't care. Reasonably priced too. Arrive early.

SF is ridiculously oversubscribed so be prepared for a wait at anywhere half-decent, and go early. Also wrap up warm; it won't snow, but the windchill can be brutal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

minato
Jun 7, 2004

Taco Defender
I think the conventional wisdom is that those dishes are the basics, so if the restaurant fucks them up then it's not worth looking further afield on the menu.

minato
Jun 7, 2004

Taco Defender

Development posted:

Yoshizumi’s:

:chanpop:
this has got me super jonesing for some sushi now.

I've been to Wako on Clement St a couple of times because my wife loves it and thinks it's the closest she's ever had to authentic Japanese sushi, but admittedly she's only ever eaten there and at Kusakabe.

minato
Jun 7, 2004

Taco Defender
Go to Sol Food in San Rafael. It's inexpensive and insanely good. Try the Pollo al horno or the Po'Boy sandwich.

minato
Jun 7, 2004

Taco Defender
Within San Francisco:

The supposed best croissants are at Arsicault Bakery. They are pretty good, there's always a long line, and they basically just do croissants and little else. Croissants are notoriously hard to get right.

For other baked goods, Arizmendi's is very good. I reckon the best location is the Sunset one, but they're all good. Their pizza (which changes flavors daily) is always excellent; normally they do slices but during Covid they only do full/half pies or light-baked ones that you finish baking at home.

Acme is good for loaves. They have a shop in Embarcadero, and you can also find them in many of the more high-end grocery stores including Whole Foods.

b. patisserie on California & Divisadero do excellent baked desserts & pastries.

Tartine is always super popular but I don't really understand why.