Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Suppenkuche on Hayes is a more Bavarian influenced German restaurant and it's pretty decent, when they don't sub the hausgemachte knodel with packet. Also they have very good German beers on tap.

Pho Pasteur in Union City is the best Pho you will get in the east bay without going down to Milpitas/SJ.

Little Dipper is the best Shabu/Taiwanese hotpot join in the east bay hands DOWN. Milpitas.

yes Koi Palace is good but if you go on the weekend, expect to wait 1 hour or more.

Bald Stalin fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Sep 20, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

404notfound posted:

Any south bay recommendations?

I've been meaning to make a reservation at Din Tai Fung at Valley Fair. Thank god this one does reservations, because gently caress waiting in line for hours for some soup dumplings.

Pho Kim Long in San Jose is probably the best Pho I've had in the bay area.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
FiDi is a food desert, except that cart around 520 market that does amazing Mediterranean meat plates with saffron rice and pita bread.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
I dunno, it was decent enough when I was frequenting it last year, vs. what you normally get in that area. For all I know they changed the serving sizes and upped the price since I was there. There definitely wasn't what I would call too much salad.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Everett and Jones in Hayward (the one where you order through bullet proof glass) is absolutely awful these days, since their matriarch and other senior family members died. They actually started using canned baked beans. And they always run out of things. It's pathetic.

Carmen's BBQ, about 1.5 miles further up A st, is way better and Carmen the Jamaican lady herself is still around at 90 years old; watching and supervising her family workers. I believe they have another restaurant around Livermore? Never been to that one.

Everett and Jones in Jack London is hit and miss but is their biggest and nicest restaurant. It's chalk and cheese with Hayward as far as decor goes.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Is there a cafe where if I ask for a Magic or even just a Flat White, the barista will know without explanation AND be able to make one?

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
This hole in the wall Yemeni restaurant is the loving bees knees: https://www.yelp.com/biz/yemen-kitchen-san-francisco

The dudes are really friendly and want to teach you about their food.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
What's real wasabi like? I love horseradish for the bite.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
You forgot the pretzels at Fisherman's Wharf.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

Books On Tape posted:

Speissekammer in Alameda has really good german food.

Not really. It's OK.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

mitztronic posted:

They also have dopplebock dunkel on tap. We loved going there when we live in SJ. A little pricey but I think it was worth it.

It was Kloster Andech's doppelbock specifically when I was there, which is loving legit good strong Bavarian beer. Highly recommend Andech's wherever anyone might see it on tap or even bottle.

Teske's spaetzle is lovely though.

Anyone got any trip reports for the newish Ludwigs Bavarian restaurant in SJ?

Bald Stalin fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Apr 26, 2017

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
There might be beers that are only made and sold in Germany and don't make it into English review sites and stores. It's actually really amazing that Andechs is exported; I learned about them after going to their monastery outside Munich and when I came back to see them on tap at Brotzeit and Teske's, I flipped out. Then I saw they're in Bevmo sometimes too by the bottle. It's a prime example of excellent Bavarian beer. The weiss, dunkelweiss, helles, doppelbock, they're all stellar.

Augustiner might be better, but I have never seen them on tap anywhere in the bay area... yet.

Bald Stalin fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Apr 26, 2017

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
There is a chick-fil-a, and those are rare in the bay area I guess.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
So, trip report + also related to SJ food:

Ludwig's is a decent Bavarian restaurant with a biergarten outside. Great beer selection on tap plus some specialties in bottles. The food is pretty good, with the usual schnitties and sausages but also some Bavarian specialties like Obatzda mit brezen, also wurstsalat.

Yes they have Andechs doppelbock on tap.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

bartlebee posted:

Me and the missus are gonna be at the Orpheum Theatre (1192 Market Street) in two weeks (seeing Hamilton because whatever) and I know jack poo poo about the area. I'm reading through the thread but anyone have any specific suggestions around the area? We'll be mostly casual and lunch stuff but we'll also be doing a couple sit down dinners. Open to anything. She wants dim sum (I read that Chinatown post on the first page) but again, I don't know the geography at all. Thanks.

https://www.yelp.com/biz/yemen-kitchen-san-francisco

Yemeni food. loving amazing hole in the wall. The owner is so friendly and the food is like nothing else I've had.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Rasa is modern Indian with a Michelin star and isn't off the charts expensive.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Going to Californios later this week :pervert:

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
FYI when you reserve the table, you pay the entire bill up front on your credit card. 2 people with wine was over $600 on my credit card 2 weeks out from the booking, and there are no refunds (but you can just have a friend show up in your place instead...)

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Tin's Teapot in Hayward is actually really loving good dim sum and good value. Koi Palace in Dublin is upscale but pricier. Where is the good sichuan in east bay?

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

amethystbliss posted:

Report back! Been wanting to try that place for ages.

Do. it. now.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
I just had the best dim sum EVER at a place called Hong Kong Lounge 2 in the Richmond. Waited 2 hours for the pleasure but it was so worth it.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
gently caress YES it's German/Austrian pub food in partnership with craft brewers. 30 taps...

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Pizzahacker makes bloody good pizza. The crust is superb. Then the royal cuckoo organ lounge is 2 minutes down the street for top notch cocktails and live music.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Yi Yuan sichuan on el camino in Millbrae is really loving good. Their Pea shoots with garlic is like crack, and they know it's like crack because they charge $12 for loving pea shoots, but god drat.

They're 'Michelin guide mentioned' 2 years in a row now and I would really recommend it. Service is pretty slow because the servers are constantly going back into the kitchen to help cook. But drat tasty food.

They also pull their own noodles.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Good luck getting a rez for 9 at HoPR on short notice? Or it a really large group easier? My reservation for 2 required about 2 months lead time.

Z & Y's online reservation system isn't working either (tried that too, recently) but the phone worked pretty well. Again, get that poo poo booked early Z & Y is popular.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Good to see Octavia got its star back. Californios was balls to the wall amazing and I figured it was going to get the second star. Glad I did the tasting and pairing menu 6 months ago.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
mensho ramen is completely overrated. If you want to wait an hour for soft overcooked noodles and chashu that disintegrates because its so overcooked then be my guest.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
On the flip side, I had my first 'Vietnamese 7 course beef' experience in the tenderloin and holy poo poo I had no idea this style of Vietnamese food existed. Making your own spring rolls is awesome, easy and delicious. I also really enjoyed getting the deep fried egg rolls wrapped in thin rice vermicelli, then wrapping those in lettuce leaves with herbs. The contrasting textures (deep fried crunch, hot inside, cooling lettuce outside, soft noodles) make it a must try.

Anh Hong 808 Geary is the place I went to.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Thread, please throw your hot pot suggestions at me. I live on the Peninsula and know a lot about whats down here but I spend time in the mission and there's nothing there as far as I know. Chinese, Japanese, fusion, whatever, throw suggestions at me. Just don't suggest outer sunset unless it's AMAZING. And I've been to Shabu House everywhere.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

Bodhidharma posted:

Hey folks,

I recently moved to the Bay Area from San Diego, and I just posted about some good BBQ places in the San Diego LAN thread. Is there good BBQ in the Bay Area?

Carmen's in Hayward is good. Avoid Everett and Jones (their quality went to poo poo after their matriarch died. Carmen is like 95 years old and still sits there watching everyone in the restaurant).

I'm also still open to hot pot suggestions. I found a neat place in south bay that does hot pot AND korean BBQ grill, all you can eat, sauce/dip/condiment bar and you order off ipads that's pretty awesome.

Bald Stalin fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Mar 3, 2018

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Kenji's Wursthall is worth checking out. It will take some time for them to adjust the quantities of things on the plates. The traditional pretzel is smaller than you'd expect given what you're paying but the obatzda was on point. The sausages were really decent but under seasoned.. Sauerkraut was 'meh'; like I couldn't tell that it was fermented or pickled at all. Beer selection is pretty great. Potato salad was really good. I will go back and try the schnitzel sandwich and vegan doner kebap.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
We got to try the following beers (vom fass) and they were all good:

German:
Andechs helles
Andechs weissbier
Weltenburger doppelbock

Other:
The horchata beer

Agreed I forgot how wonderful the salad was dressed, girlfriend noted that it didn't appear to be drenched in dressing but it was great. There was way too much of it on the plate though, I felt bad and I know they're going to realize how much is being thrown away.

I didn't really taste anything in the kraut. Was it napa cabbage?

edit: oh the sausages we had were the nurnbergers in brotchen and a thuringer. Again, delicious but not enough salt and they don't put salt on the tables.

Bald Stalin fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Mar 13, 2018

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
I talked to Kenji, he said they're aware of the salt thing and are working on it, especially the nurnbergers. He's using ditmers and one other guy to make the sausages and it's a collaborative thing. he's not buying it off the shelf so to speak.

I got there at 5:15 (official opening time was listed as 5:30) and he was already slowly letting people in to not overwhelm FOH and BOH. Took about 35mins to get let in.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
What does "zoolike" mean? I was able to watch the other patrons I guess? But that would mean most restaurants are zoolike.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

got off on a technicality posted:

So zoolike would be: too many people crammed into a small place such that it's uncomfortably tight and you have to shout in order to have a conversation

The zoos I go to seem have have lots of space and sometimes so much space the animals can't be seen, let alone heard.

I was able to have a conversation just fine and I have hearing problems.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Never found a good one in Oakland Chinatown, it's all very lovely quality vs. a sit-down, even the more mediocre sit-downs. Happy to be corrected and then I'll go check it out!

If you're interested in checking out a Chinese bakery that does excellent bao (no the steamed dumplings) I'll ask my work colleague who brings them for breakfast sometimes where he gets them, he said it's some joint his mum has been going to for decades and they're super good.

I have heard that Dim Sum Club is decent and does take-out steamed dumplings too.

I think the issue with the take-out joints is they're making these huge batches that can sit there a long time. A sit-down place, especially a good one with turnover, is getting you fresher stuff especially if it's one that you write down what you want on paper vs. 100% of the food is in carts. It's pricey but Hong Kong Lounge 2 is reeeeeeally good dim sum and the service is excellent.

Bald Stalin fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Apr 20, 2018

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Tell him the service level is appreciated. At some other 'good' dim sum places I feel like a second-class customer because I don't look like the majority of the clients, or they just don't give a poo poo, but at his joint I feel welcome, they make eye contact, don't seem stressed and are instead happy to help me etc. That + the excellent food brings me back 4 times in 6 months, 2 of them waiting 2 hours to get in. Worth it. Not sure why pea sprouts with garlic are $18 though. Can you ask him why dim sum places seem to mark up the steamed gai lan and pea sprout dishes so much? I love my green veg but the pricing always seems so high.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
I understand restaurants make up for lower margins on some dishes by having similar priced carbs dishes and selling soda, but $18 for a plate of pea sprouts is 900% markup. If that's the answer then I'm surprised they don't up the price of their actual dim sum that is more difficult, time consuming and expensive ingredient-wise.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
If we're talking east bay and the San Leandro/Hayward area, then Tin's Teapot > Oriental Tea House

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
All the staples are decent. Can't really go wrong with the siu mai, har gow, cheung fun, fried prawn dumplings with mayo etc. I'll be honest I haven't been to Oriental Tea House in a few years, but Tin's was a welcome addition to the area. Parking is a difficult when they're busy and the parking lot opposite WILL tow you, so watch out or go early.