Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic
I know I'm a little late (by like 6 months), but re: coffee: if you can find a starbucks with a clover, I think you will find that clover coffee is better than just almost any other coffee vendor, including hipster techie places like ritual and blue bottle.

The downside is their website is total trash, so the best way to find out if a nearby starbucks has a clover is to just walk inside and see if they have a reserve menu posted, or once you've seen what a clover looks like you can just see if they have one.

Disclaimer: I've never liked starbucks, I always found (historically) their coffee, while consistent, not very good. Their reserve coffees are single origin and their roast type is determined by people who seem to know what they are doing, based on my sample size of trying about ~10 different beans so far. The clover machines are programmed to the specific bean, so the results are extremely consistent and they adjust the grind type, drip rate, etc for each bean

edit: I still prefer to french press at home vs clover, but that's because I have a friend who is into roasting his own beans and he is loving amazing at doing it. However if I'm ever near a starbucks I will walk inside to see if they have a clover, because they are so tasty. Even if I've already had coffee that day. yeah, i have a coffee problem

mitztronic fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Mar 9, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic

SweetBro posted:

I have had about a good 3 year spree now of not being inside a Starbucks (I don't count the one time I went inside on in Japan, because I needed internet and I don't understand moonrunes). If I try this and this is not the best drat cup of coffee I've had including the $30 cup of coffee from Blue Bottle I will write a strongly worded response expressing my dissatisfaction.

Had a chance yet? What is that $30 coffee you speak of? :eyepop: I feel like no cup of coffee is ever going to be worth $30

edit: oh, you must be talking about Kopi Luwak? (The poop coffee)

mitztronic fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Mar 30, 2017

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic

SweetBro posted:

Ultra late response: Yeah, it was decent. Heads and shoulders better than their normal swill, and better than some pour overs I've had. Though I still much prefer siphon coffee. Still, since then Starbucks hasn't become a last resort option.

Siphon is super smooth. I've only had siphon coffee twice. I'd like to get one at some point for home use.

Also, just keep in mind not all Starbucks have a clover. If you don't see a reserve coffee list, turn and run.

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic

eschaton posted:

Just visited Teske's Germania in downtown San Jose for the first time this past weekend, it was quite tasty for dinner. I had the Jaegerschnitzel, my wife had the beef goulash, and I also tried a friend's veal shank. All were delicious, the veal particularly so.

They also have dopplebock dunkel on tap. We loved going there when we live in SJ. A little pricey but I think it was worth it.

quote:

The band was a bit loud though, which on top of a cold made it difficult to hear.

For future reference, you can ask for a table inside, but the whole band thing is kind of part of the experience :)

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic

Ranter posted:

Kloster Andech's doppelbock

This actually inspired me to see if there are any other dopplebock dunkels in production (I thought it was the only one). Sure enough, there is at least one other by Eggenburg, although I've never seen it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic

OGS-Remix posted:

Any recommendations for bars in the Mountain View, Palo Alto area? Normally when I go drinking I'm usually in SF. so I'm not too familiar with places down here.

Steins (mountain view) has the best beer selection. It's a german beer haus though, not a bar.