Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Kaleidoscopic Gaze posted:

Pizza: The pizza sucks here. Very very few places make the cut.
Arinell (aka Hesher Pizza) - SF and Berkeley. Cheap, thin crust New York or thick crust school cafeteria, really solid for the money. Like they took the best pizza place out of your New York or Jersey childhood (constantly blasting rock music and all) and plopped it into the bay. $3 slices,

what does this mean? I am unfortunate enough to have visited New Jersey twice, and everything I ate there was disgusting, including the pizza. I had pizza in NYC once, and it wasn't anything special.

Little Star is easily the best pizza I've ever had (thin crust -- no interest in deep dish). Places like Delfina, Beretta, Delarosa, etc., are perfectly fine. If just you want a greasy slice you dump hot sauce all over and fold in half, I am sure there are plenty of acceptable options. Maybe childhood nostalgia is the secret ingredient I am missing out on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

OGS-Remix posted:

Does anyone have any suggestions for interesting places to try around Davies Symphony hall? I eat pretty much anything so I'm willing to try stuff.

The main concerns are price and timing. I'll be going up to the city on Friday for early-ish dinner around 5:30, 6pm so hopefully the lines won't be too bad. Also maybe not too expensive either but if it's good, it's good.

Souvla is really good.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Darwin, Garaje

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Ranter posted:

Rasa is modern Indian with a Michelin star and isn't off the charts expensive.

I went here tonight. It was pretty good, but I don't really understand why it has a Michelin star. Like, if this is Michelin star, why is Dosa "bib gourmand?" Given the criteria for bib gourmand seems to be primarily around price, if anything I would expect the inverse.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

I had a baguette from Jane, and it was excellent.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Carillon posted:

Leopold's was quite good when I went a few years ago, less specifically sausage focused, but still great beer and food.

Did they change ownership in the last few years? I went there a year or two ago, and the old Austrian man was nowhere to be seen and the food was definitely not as good, possibly even bad. I remember deciding we wouldn’t go back. I live pretty close to Suppenküche and Walzwerk, so not highly motivated to go too far for good German food.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Dang, I just made a reservation for SingleThread, because I thought $275/person wasn't too bad, but then you get hit with 30.35% added on at the end. :wth:

I want to go to Californios, Commonwealth, and Kin Khao.

I went to Mourad, and it was definitely not worth the price. Everything was good, but it was $255/person, without a pairing. The cocktail prices were especially absurd (some were $24). You can definitely get food just as good for half the price.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

We did the tasting menu. My girlfriend is vegetarian, so splitting one of their large, family-style dishes wasn't really an option, from what I recall. It definitely seemed like a better value from the table I saw next to us.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Ranter posted:

Californios was fantastic though right

I haven't gone yet! :shobon: It's been on my list for a while, but I haven't ever made a reservation, for some reason. My new year's resolution is to not got to the same restaurants over and over.

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

Californios is good (and cheap m) Commonwealth is good (and quite inexpensive) Kin Khao & Pim are trash.

I’ve eaten at every 2 or 3 Star in the Bay other than Baume and the majority of the 1 Stars, so if you’re wondering about specifics, ask away.

That's too bad about Kin Khao. One time I had larb moo from Rich Table, and it was super delicious. I was hoping Kin Khao would be an entire restaurant like that.

OGS-Remix posted:

If you had to pick between going to Meadowwood or French Laundry, which one would you pick? And you can include the Chef's table at Meadowwood as well.

Keep in mind I am potentially a total rube, but French Laundry is absolutely not worth it. Like, I might not go again even if it were free. It's so slow and stuffy and just seems really out-dated/old-fashioned.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Yeah could be. That’s the only 3 star place I’ve been to, so I don’t have a reference. Still, the pacing was either really off or just way too slow for me, and the food was nothing special, to my palate. I just wanted to leave by the time they served dessert.

Hopefully SingleThread is better :unsmith:

Has anyone been to Prairie? I went a couple weeks ago, and it was pretty good. The chicken “piccata” was especially good. I’m not sure how often they are changing the menu, but I really want to go eat that again.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Bus stop pizza review: open at 10:45pm, 5/5

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

I went to Birdsong, and it was really good. The presentation of this dish was a little shocking though.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Yeah, is the one in Oakland not $25/plate? I like Farmhouse, but I doubt the crowd in Oakland is any different. Or possibly, different but still yuppie scum (obviously not me, though).

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Isn’t there somewhere people can get to via BART? Wursthall looks like you can take CalTrain, but probably not that convenient for most. And getting back is another story. I’m actually not sure where most people live.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

OK, so there are 10 posters expressing interest, and 10 is the minimum for a reservation at Wursthall. I can also drive people from SF if needed. Who is volunteering to contact them about a booking? :colbert:

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Carillon posted:

I'd be happy to if there's a date in mind that works?

8/24? That way we can all schedule our busy social lives accordingly.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Looks like seitan, which would be excellent if it were. Man I want a BBQ seitan sandwich now.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Quotes like that seem suspect to me. Why can’t they raise their prices accordingly, especially if they’re still busy? Are they already priced at the tipping point? They also blame a change in dining culture but there is no elaboration as to what that means. That could be the reporters fault, though.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Arsenic Lupin posted:

The prices you pay to keep employees on board, pay the rent, repair equipment that breaks, &c, have risen far faster than the prices people are willing to pay for food.

Right I get that, re: the tipping point. There are a couple restaurants I don’t go to anymore because they raised their prices to the point where it was just as expensive as somewhere else which is better. If they were closing because their rent had been raised, then I would feel sorry for them, but it just sounds like they are complaining about labor costs, which doesn’t win much sympathy for me, especially since restaurant labor is hugely subsidized by the customer.

I don’t run a restaurant though so maybe I just cannot appreciate how hard it is and sometimes it’s just easier to move onto something else.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Cat’s Head is definitely good, and I remain skeptical the south does anything well, BBQ included. There is a BBQ place in the mission that is terrible. I forget the name but it’s at like 20th and Mission. Hope this helps!!!

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

luminalflux posted:

Thanks for all the recs! I'm right by the Dolores cathedral so some of it is a trek. I've heard good things about Shizen from my vegan friends but usually a wait from what I can tell and will probably check it out since my partner doesn't do fish. I've been to Rintaro's pop-up yakitori and loved it, we keep meaning to try their real menu.

My partner used to work in coffee and we keep in touch with her industry friends, but we're both not missing the 4am wake-up because PG&E decided to shut off power to block and lose temp for a weeks worth of dairy and pastry prep.

Generally speaking I think a vegan restaurant's reputation should be taken with a grain of salt, but Shizen is pretty good, actually. I went to Wild Seed a couple weeks ago and it was good as well. The best vegan restaurants are unapologetically but incidentally vegan, if that makes sense :shobon:

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Went to Palette Tea House tonight. Food and drinks were pretty good, but my god the service was terrible. Maybe they were just horribly understaffed because it is Christmas Eve?

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Ranter posted:

too real

I didn't really have any bad service when I was in China. I was with my mainlander friend, though, so my experience was probably very different from if I were on my own. I don't really like how most service is handled in the US, to be honest. I always sit at the bar, if I can. Good service is the service you don't even notice, but I feel like it's pretty uncommon outside of very expensive restaurants. I just want the things I ordered, and my drink refilled, please. And most of all, I want to my check delivered and promptly processed when I'm ready to leave.

I went to Californios this weekend, which had excellent service. The food was already very good. A little bougie but I guess that should be expected. Not stuffy or pretentious, though. Would go again.

edit: also, pizza ... there is usually a Del Popolo truck parked in my neighborhood on the weekend. I'll have to check it out. I will say though that Gioia is probably the best American style pizza I've had and everyone should go.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Yes, no. I was with two vegetarians though, and it’s definitely not veggie friendly. There is a tiki bar in the basement, and I’ll just go there instead.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

Uh, LihoLiho is INCREDIBLY good. Don’t bother with Dear Inga though. I’ve eaten at Liho maybe 10 times over the years and never had a bad dish. Get the pineapple dessert for sure. Did you *ask* for vegetarian options or just try to stumble through the menu? They can mod about half the menu to be veggie.

I’m so tired of that poo poo. People would come into my restaurant, not say they needed veggie or gluten free dishes and then leave a yelp like HURRR ITS NOT VEGETARIAN FRIENDLY. Bitch, we can modify 1/3 of the menu as is and can also make you 3-4 other plates entirely if you ask. A restaurant would be foolish to not have vegetarian options in goddamn San Francisco.

Yeah, we asked, we always do, and I agree that it’s pretty much a requirement for SF. Maybe the waitress didn’t know any better. If I recall correctly she said only one or two dishes could be made veggie, beyond the one or two veggie options on the menu, and no one was really impressed with what we received. v:shobon:v

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Here is a ramen question for those who may know.

I had ramen from these places:

Orenchi
Santa Ramen
And a random food truck I forget which!

And they were all bad. I’ve had ramen from Nojo several times and it has always been very good. This made me think I didn’t liked pork based ramens. However, I had Ramen Nagi the other day which is pork based and was good. I also recall my ramen from Iza in Lower Haight being good.

Are those other places just bad or is there some weird thing going on with my palate? Like Orenchi and Santa Ramen were actually gross, and I only ate more than a few bites attempting to be polite. If I had been by myself I would have left, and I think I threw away the one I got from the food truck.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

I had knives sharpened at Bernal and it was very expensive and I’m not sure it was worth it at all! Are your knives really expensive or something? If not, you’d probably be better off learning how and then getting new knives once you know.

Don’t eat whale or dolphins.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

I kind of lost touch of all the hip new restaurants over the last few years. These are what come to mind.

State Bird Provisions is always good. Definitely "modern American."
Rich Table is pretty good, but they've been on the heavy side lately. They also lost their star, if that means anything to you. I don't necessarily care, but it does feel like they've been resting on their laurels a little.
True Laurel is very good. This is a "sister bar" to Lazy Bear, which is supposed to be good, but I've never been!!
Trick Dog is around the corner from True Laurel and is good too. Both of those are bougie cocktail bars ($15+ drinks) which serve food, but I've honestly never been disappointed with anything I've had from either. Worth the money IMO.
Al's Place is pretty good too. I've always had the "family style" tasing menu, fwiw. "An inverted steakhouse" so the veggies are the main and the proteins are the side.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

OGS-Remix posted:

True Laurel is good, I thought Trick Dog was overrated. This was after they won their one of the best bars in America award though, so maybe they were coasting on their laurels. That was also several years ago so maybe it's back to how it was before.
Yeah I actually put off going to Trick Dog for several years, because I thought it would just be overpriced hype, but when I eventually gave in and went, I was genuinely impressed. Before COVID they changed their menu every 3 months, which has its pros and cons, but maybe you just weren't feeling their menu at the time. They are fully open again. I went a few weeks ago. I only had time for one drink, but it was definitely still good. I want to go have dinner some night.

I had dinner at Phonobar the other night. I was pretty surprised, actually. The food was better than I expected. I feel like vegan food gets easily overhyped because people don't know what to expect (or expect so little), but I'd certainly go back. I hope I'm not falling victim to the expectations trap I just described!

I like bars that serve food. :hehe:

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

92->35->9. Eat somewhere in Saratoga.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

I went to Kaiyo Rooftop the other day. The food was pretty good. We had the veggie gyoza, pork bao (gua bao style), yucca fries, beet tiradito, and a veggie roll. The drinks were not good, though. I had "The Wind Rises" which was maybe OK but it was garnished with matcha powder, which was not stated on the menu. I think that's kind of weird, because it's not just a sprig of mint or something. I assume matcha is a polarization flavor as I personally think it's disgusting, so I don't understand that choice. It also didn't go with the drink at all. I tried "Koro's Big Day" after that which is maybe a good drink if you like mezcal but I have concluded I do not. It was also kind of expensive. $150 for 5 small plates and 3 drinks. Too bad. It would be nice if there were some good roof top bars/restaurants. I mean, maybe there are loads and I just don't know. The only other one I've been to is El Techo but that was for my SO's work thing, so...

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

I’d go to Kokkari (Greek), Barcha (Turkish), or Mourad (Moroccan).

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

I don’t see what’s so funny :colbert:

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

I am aware Turkey and Greece are not Middle Eastern in the American context of the word which is why I put it in parentheses. That said both of those places are good and fairly Mid East adjacent in terms of food they serve IMO :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Lazy Susan in SF is American Chinese. I don’t know San Jose restaurants so I didn’t respond to the question initially !!