Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

THANK GOD FOR THE SMOKE MACHINE!
Lots of good izakaya style joints in the South Bay. I like Tanto and Sumiya Yakitori in Santa Clara. There's a lot of decent ramen places that haven't already been mentioned in Mountain View as well, like Maru Ichi and Shalala. I've never been but San Mateo is supposed to be a bit of a hotspot for top notch ramen (Santa Ramen).

Seconding Tobang and Gooyi Gooyi for family style Korean BBQ in the South Bay. Those places tend to have long waits, so if that's an issue my fallback is usually Han-Sung BBQ. There are also a few Korean fried chicken joints in the area like 99 Chicken and Bon Chon, though the quality of the first has gone down a bit over the years for the former (still pretty good, though) and I'm just not a huge fan of the latter.

Berkeley is a great city for food. My favorite Chinese food in the entire Bay Area is probably at Great China. They have fantastic Peking duck that comes completely deboned and is served with thin rice crepes instead of steamed buns. I've basically haven't had a single bad thing on their menu, it's all good. Gregoire's is good for French-style cafe food (potato puffs!!!) and Angeline's Louisiana Kitchen is a solid Cajun joint. There are also the "classic" Berkeley student haunts like Top Dog (hot dogs) and Cheeseboard (pizza joint that serves one type of pizza a day, seasonal ingredients). Chez Panisse is also a pretty iconic Californian restaurant that used(?) to have a Michelin Star. Also Berkeley has probably the best supermarket I've ever been to in Berkeley Bowl. Chef Yu's in Oakland is also really solid Korean-style Chinese food (jajangmyun/jjamppong). I also like Seoul Gomtang (Santa Clara/Oakland) for Korean beef soup... great comfort/sick/hangover food.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

Oh! I remembered a great Japanese restaurant in Daly City that I stumbled upon. Tani's Kitchen (https://www.yelp.com/biz/tanis-kitchen-daly-city) is a cool little (and I mean little) spot that serves up great Japanese comfort food (along with sushi). Think curry, gyudon, etc. They have the best tamago (sweet rolled omelette) that I've had anywhere in the states. Highly recommended, and it's all for a very reasonable price as well.

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

There's a new Korean soup joint (seolleongtang/galbitang) in Milpitas called Soup by Park's BBQ (same Park's BBQ that's popular in LA), has anyone tried it out? The Yelp reviews are pretty noisy with people leaving 1 star reviews for lovely lines despite decent food? I have no idea what to make of it, gently caress Yelp.

I'm pretty blown away at how much Korean stuff has opened in that area -- in the last few years they opened a Von's Chicken, Paris Baguette and Jang Su Jang in that plaza alone to supplement the SGD Tofu restaurant that had been there by a while, as well as a brand new H-mart just a couple of exits down. Certainly would have been nice to have more Korean options when I lived around the corner from there rather than having to drive a bit to Santa Clara/Sunnyvale...

I don't know that much about San Francisco stuff but I liked getting cioppino at Sotto Mare which seems to me to be a pretty classic SF thing to do. Also a fan of walking around farmer's market at the ferry building, which also has some great plaes like Hog Island Oyster Company. I'm just reading now that Boccalone (charcuterie shop) closed down there though, fuuuuuck

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

I've been interested in taking a few cooking classes in my spare time, anyone know of any good ones in SF? I had sushi classes in mind in particular but I'm not sure how to distinguish the "good for tech company team outing" type classes versus fundamental focused classes with quality instruction (not that the two are necessarily mutually exclusive, but...). I'm open to other cuisines in general, too!

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

idiotsavant posted:

18 Reasons does a bunch of different classes and they do a lot of good food cause work, maybe check them out

I've actually done one of these, as an aforementioned tech company team outing! They definitely seemed cool but we only ended up making pasta for 20 minutes and not doing much else. Not sure if that was because of the format of the class we took or if that's the typical team outing experience.

That Thai class looks cool, I'll have to check that out at some point. It being a weekday in Pacifica makes it a little tricky, though...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

Carillon posted:

How's crab season been treating everyone? I've been loving the season, I felt like last years wasn't great so good to see this coming back with full force. Price wise I've been seeing 7-8 bucks a pound for the live ones out off the boats in HMB.
Got a few from 99 Ranch in Richmond maybe a month or so ago at 5.99/lb (live). I haven't actually gone crabbing this season, should give it a shot before it's over...