Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

amethystbliss
Jan 17, 2006

I'm also on the Peninsula.

As Carillon mentioned, Rasa in Burlingame is an absolute favorite. I don’t know how they managed a Michelin star during their first year open, but the food is really delicious and affordable. I like any of the dosas, the Bombay sliders, and the paneer curry.

If you’re into fine dining, All Spice in San Mateo is another Michelin starred place, and it’s really something special, but can be quite pricey. On the topic of starred restaurants, we’ve also tried Bouchon and La Toque up in Napa—both were phenomenal.

It’s not the most authentic Mexican joint, but I also love Nueve in San Bruno. Really nice food presentation, always easy to get a table, good drinks, and $14 bottomless mimosas on the weekends. It’s housed in an old Taco Bell in a strip mall, so not the greatest vibe but their mole enchiladas and Nueve fries are really good.

Mingalaba in Burlingame have great Burmese food, especially the tea leaf salad.

Millbrae Pancake House is great for greasy diner food/traditional diner pancakes, especially if you’re hungover.

Tried Johnston’s Saltbox in San Carlos last week and was really impressed. Great atmosphere, good service, and fresh, delicious food.

As for places in SF proper, we’ve been going to Lavash a lot. My husband is Persian, and this stuff is the real deal. We also used to love going to Marlowe, but I haven’t been in a few months.

There are so many more. We’re so spoiled for choice!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

amethystbliss
Jan 17, 2006

Speaking of dessert, Jougert in Burlingame is a delicious and healthy option. It's a greek yogurt place; they have savory and sweet options. You can choose from a menu or create your own. The Orange Blossom one is my favorite (orange zest, agave, dark chocolate and pistachios). Jougertella is also really yummy (bananas, nutella, maple syrup and cinnamon).

Does anyone have any favorite coffee places in the Peninsula? Millbrae/Burlingame/San Mateo seemingly have nothing good. Bliss in Redwood City is the best I've found so far, and it's drat good.

amethystbliss
Jan 17, 2006

404notfound posted:

Is Philz not good anymore? I don't get it as often as I used to, but it still tastes about the same to me. Prices have definitely gone up though.
I think Philz is about the same as it's always been, we recently got one in Burlingame. I'm more into espresso drinks myself so don't really bother with Philz.

amethystbliss
Jan 17, 2006

SB35 posted:

I'd appreciate recommendations for good coffee and read a book kinda place in the peninsula. Starbucks and Phillz are out because they're ridiculously loud. I don't know how anyone actually gets any work done there.
If you can get over the insufferable attitude of the hipster baristas, S’Bastians in Redwood City has pretty good coffee and is very quiet. I've only been a handful of times, but always see lots of people working there. They have a 5 star Yelp review.

Almost forgot about it because it isn't really a cafe, but Apple Fritter in San Mateo make really good lattes and depending on who is working, they have fun latte art. As the name implies, they also do amazing donuts and fritters (but also serve traditional breakfast/lunch foods). Sometimes the line can be out to the parking lot, though, so it's not worth the wait if you're just going for coffee.

amethystbliss
Jan 17, 2006

Carillon posted:

Yeah I never understood that either. Chez Panisse makes great pizza for instance and is instrumental in the whole California-style pizza (different that California Pizza Kitchen though they've bastardized some of it). It's not a NY slice or deep dish or anything, but there's good, regional pizza out here. I love Goat Hill in the city, I've heard great things about Flour & Water as well.
Tony's in North Beach is great, though I admittedly know nothing about the art of pizza making.

amethystbliss
Jan 17, 2006

mmm11105 posted:

Anyone have any recommendations in Napa Valley in the $50-60/person range?
Bouchon is really good.

amethystbliss
Jan 17, 2006

Marlowe is great, though they moved locations in the past few years. Brickhouse is good too and used to be our go-to when we lived next to the ballpark. I think that area has an Umami burger now too.

amethystbliss
Jan 17, 2006

AnonSpore posted:

Anyone have good recommendations around San Mateo? No particular preference with regards to cuisine, preferably around the 10~30 per person range.
All Spice is a bit above budget but delicious, creative, beautifully plated, etc. It's also starred. The Vault and 31st and Union are pretty good. There's also a good Burmese place on Burlingame Avenue that has lines out the door most nights.

amethystbliss
Jan 17, 2006

Ranter posted:

Going to Californios later this week :pervert:

Report back! Been wanting to try that place for ages.

amethystbliss
Jan 17, 2006

404notfound posted:

Found out some of my friends are also foodie types who can afford the occasional nice dinner, so we went to Madera inside the Rosewood a few weeks ago and had a great time. What are some other trendy places in the south bay/peninsula to check out? I think we've got Manresa and Chez TJ on our list.

All Spice in San Mateo is incredible!

amethystbliss
Jan 17, 2006

flappin fish posted:

Any recommendations for tasting menus/sorta high end in San Francisco proper, around $100-150/pp? My wife and I are going in a couple of weeks and looking for a splurge or two.

We're checking out Sons and Daughters this weekend. I've heard good things, but can report back!

amethystbliss
Jan 17, 2006

Sons and Daughters was incredible! Highly recommended. I had the vegetarian tasting menu with wine pairings and they knocked it out of the park. My husband was also very happy with the regular tasting menu.

amethystbliss
Jan 17, 2006

Just went to Dyafa in Jack London Square a few nights ago. Service was meh but the food was delicious! Really interesting cocktails too. First time having Palestinian cuisine.

amethystbliss
Jan 17, 2006

Might be in for this too depending on day/time!

amethystbliss
Jan 17, 2006

I’m somehow booked all of those days. Weekdays are a little easier for me—I don’t have a weekend free until Sept 15th. If I don’t catch you all this time around, maybe next time.

amethystbliss
Jan 17, 2006

nugget of poo posted:

See ya there!
This guy is my husband of 10+ years (we met on SA!).

Love him dearly, but his taste in food is not to be trusted. For lunch today he had a solitary Monterey Chicken taquito from 7/11. Please steer him well, foodie goons. I'm sitting this one out to look after the kids.

amethystbliss
Jan 17, 2006

Favorite takeout spots in the peninsula that are doing cocktail deliveries? Seeing lots of cool articles from places in SF or East Bay but the only one I've come across so far is 31st Union in San Mateo.

I need a drink.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

amethystbliss
Jan 17, 2006

Rosalind in Pacifica is really good. Also Backhaus.