Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal
This list is all over the place and mixes locations vs. cuisine style but its more stream of consciousness.

Chinese:
Spicy Empire in San Mateo does really spicy Szechuan style Chinese. Yin Yuan is in Millbrae and I think tastes better overall but not quite as spicy.
Wonderful in Millbrae is really good Hunan style Chinese food and is generally really delicious. Their cilantro beef is something I could eat forever on rice. Its not extremely spicy but they are a really legit place for good food.
San Tung is good eats for Korean-style chinese food. Wings are good.
Everyone's rec for Dim Sum would be Koi Palace is legit good.

Pizza:
Slice of New York in South Bay has legit good New York style pizza.
I personally prefer Zachary's deep dish over all other stores that sell deep-dish in the Bay Area.
If you're in Berkeley, Brazil Cafe used to have a good Tri-tip sandwich. Their mango smoothie isn't as good as it used to be.
Cheeseboard is fine if you've never been but its not my favorite.
Cicero's pizza in Cupertino/West San Jose is my favorite pizza in the Bay Area.

Korean:
There's no good KOrean in SF but if you do want Korean, go to Han Il Kwan. They're good and the old ladies in the back make the food legit. Its also the place for Korean tour buses to stop at and people enjoy it pretty generally. You could also do My Tofu House - up to a few years ago, it was good. There's also Won Mi on Fillmore if you're craving Korean food at 3am. Its not good at all unless you're drunk but its good enough to eat and not regret.
Korean drinking places - I will always have a special place in my heart for Playground in Japantown but its not amazing. Toyose in the Sunset is a better place for food but its tiny.

Japanese:
Izakaya Sozai has always been good and should still be good.
Muracci Curry on Kearny is great for lunch and their spicy curry ramen is pretty good at getting

Vietnamese - PPQ in the Sunset is better than Turtle Tower overall but you should always go and try out their Pho Ga if you haven't already. Turtle Tower's stir-fried pho is also pretty good and different from what you'd find at a lot of other places.
You'd be better served going to south SJ for Vietnamese.

Soma:
I personally like Garaje. Some people might not like it but its decent Mexican at outrageous Soma prices if you need lunch. HRD, down the street, used to be cheaper but its good enough for lunch.

Indian:
Go to Fremont/Pleasanton. Up to a few months ago, Bawarchi in Pleasanton was a popular spot amongst my coworkers. They're currently searching for the next best Biriyani place. In SF, Chaat Corner seems to be the place all of my coworkers go and they have pretty legit good food.

I'm sure there's more I will post later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal
If you ever get a chance, go to Pho 90 on Story road. Definitely the best Pho I've had and its different from many of the styles you see in the area.

If you want Bun Cha or any other foods, Thien Long - https://www.yelp.com/biz/thien-long-vietnamese-restaurant-san-jose - is really good.

Cicero's Pizza is good west New York style pizza.

Korean food is better down in South Bay, Chinese food is better in South bay as well. Hell, Vietnamese food is amazing in the South Bay. If you have any specific requests, I can definitely give better recommendations.

Check out gen for ayce Kbbq, Tobang and Gooyi Gooyi are both regular kbbq places that are very good.

Alexander's if you want to splurge on steak is very good.

If you want XLB, I've heard Crystal Jade in the Embarcadero Center has decent xlb, so check that out and report back if you can.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Toilet Rascal
A few places to add to that pretty good review - R&G Lounge has good food for what it does (crab). A place I found a while ago does good Hakka food - https://www.yelp.com/biz/hakka-restaurant-san-francisco.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Toilet Rascal
Lets have some sandwich arguments.

Best sandwich in SF (imo) - Submarine Center in West Portal. They've been doing sandwiches for years and haven't changed a thing. Atomic sub is amazing.

Giordanno's - Good Pittsburgh style sandwich. Sad about them closing down the North Beach spot.

Cheese-n-Stuff - Best nostalgia food for me.

Miller's Deli on Polk had a good pastrami last time I was there. Should still be pretty good if nothing's changed.

The 3 Italian delis that are old (1 in the Marina, one in North Beach) are both really solid.

The Italian beef at Tony's slice house in North Beach is really good if you guys have never had it.

I don't like Ike's. Too much sauce, not enough real flavor.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Toilet Rascal

snyprmag posted:

Have you been the an Everett and Jones? Their sauce is really good but I haven't managed to make it to one of their restaurants. Brick Pig House on Shattuck in North Oakland is a good little spot.

Both of these are solid choices with a caveat - E&J is mostly good at their 2nd location, I believe the one on College where they have the brick oven. The one in Jack London isn't very good at all and mostly dry and too popular.

Smoking PIg was extremely good when they first opened but their quality is mostly up and down nowadays compared to their first year. Emergency BBQ in Redwood City has good brisket and should be something people should check out.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Toilet Rascal

amethystbliss posted:

Speaking of dessert, Jougert in Burlingame is a delicious and healthy option. It's a greek yogurt place; they have savory and sweet options. You can choose from a menu or create your own. The Orange Blossom one is my favorite (orange zest, agave, dark chocolate and pistachios). Jougertella is also really yummy (bananas, nutella, maple syrup and cinnamon).

Does anyone have any favorite coffee places in the Peninsula? Millbrae/Burlingame/San Mateo seemingly have nothing good. Bliss in Redwood City is the best I've found so far, and it's drat good.

Jougert has a ridiculous 5 star yelp rating and they've held onto it for the 2 years they've been open. They're so good after a nice long bike ride.

I don't believe there're any good roasters on the Penninsula. Phillz was good years ago before I feel like they over expanded. Sightglass coffee is my favorite in the city though.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Toilet Rascal
I mentioned when I tried to start sandwich discussion, but the Tony's Slice House in North Beach does a pretty fantastic Italian Beef that everyone should try once.

Its not that Phillz's quality has gone down - I just prefer other coffee shops to it. If you're going to spend $3-$9 for a cup of coffee, I'd much prefer to spend it elsewhere.

PHillz is expanding down to San Diego in the next few months. They've grown like crazy from what they originally were.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Toilet Rascal
Going to Rasa tonight - anything I must try in particular?

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Toilet Rascal

Baby Babbeh posted:

Just moved over by SF State on the southwestern side of the city. It's not really an area I've explored before, so what's good around here that I should check out?

Go to Submarine Center for the best sandwich in SF.

Toyose is slightly over there but its a great little Korean drinking joint with good fried chicken.

Dosas definitely check out. since the people I went to don't too much spice, we ended up getting the basil dosa. Still absolutely delicious.

Also had the sliders, butter chicken, and the wild mushroom uthappam. All very good and my fiance, who doesn't really like Indian food, is already ready to go back and try more food.

Definitely want to try the biriyani next time.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Toilet Rascal

Carillon posted:

How was it? What'd you get?

It was great! My girlfriend doesn't normally like Indian food at all and was trying to convince us not to go eat there. She ended up loving it and wants to go back again.

We got the following:

- Sliders
- Butter Chicken
- Wild Mushroom Uthappam
- Basil Dosa

This was a good amount of food for 4 people.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Toilet Rascal

Hadlock posted:

Golden Boy pizza is the best pizza in the city that I've eaten so far, and i eat a lot of pizza. Though they have an annoying habit (like most popular places in this city) of slowing down service when the line out the door gets too short.

I absolutely refuse to stand in line for food, except for golden boy, fantastic stuff.

Re: Tony's, I've heard slice house is Tonys pizza, just by the slice, to go. Haven't tried it yet through.

The Italian beef is worth a try at Slice House.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Toilet Rascal

Carillon posted:

Bay Area goons, https://sf.eater.com/2017/6/20/15836106/wurst-hall-kenji-lopez-alt-san-mateo-restaurant, Kenji's opening a restaurant in San Mateo. Exciting if you like good food or follow him on serious eats, or both I guess :).

So excited about this. I'm hoping he runs experiments out of his restaurant.