Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Any south bay recommendations?

I've been meaning to make a reservation at Din Tai Fung at Valley Fair. Thank god this one does reservations, because gently caress waiting in line for hours for some soup dumplings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Shadowhand00 posted:

Jougert has a ridiculous 5 star yelp rating and they've held onto it for the 2 years they've been open. They're so good after a nice long bike ride.

I don't believe there're any good roasters on the Penninsula. Phillz was good years ago before I feel like they over expanded. Sightglass coffee is my favorite in the city though.

Is Philz not good anymore? I don't get it as often as I used to, but it still tastes about the same to me. Prices have definitely gone up though.

For good coffee in the south bay, I like Big Mug in Santa Clara, and Red Rock in downtown Mountain View. There's a couple other places that I've been to, but not often enough to really nail down if I would go regularly (B2, Chromatic, Great Bear).

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Development posted:

hey goons. Can anyone recommend a legit world class chocolatier in SF? GF is coming in for a week and we enjoy some robust truffles. Cost isn't that much of an issue.

I really liked Teuscher at Stanford, before they closed. I believe they have a branch up in the city that's still open.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Mission Peak is a pretty popular hike around the Fremont area. It's a constant slope with little shade, so it can be moderately tough when it's hot out, but it looks like this weekend is gonna be a bit cloudy.

There's a pole at the peak with holes drilled into it meant to point you at various bay area landmarks, but most people just climb on the pole for their Facebook profile pictures. And there's some snarky comment to be made about the huge lines of people waiting to take a picture with the pole, but I'm too tired to think of it right now

Also, the parking sucks there. You'll probably have to park along one of the residential streets (make sure it's okay to park there) and walk a few blocks up to the trailhead.

Edit: I just realized this is the food thread, not the main bay area thread :doh: Uhh, I guess 85 C bakery is all right? Devout Coffee over on Niles is nice if you're into the hipstery third wave coffee vibe. I'm not too familiar with the food in that area, to be honest.

404notfound fucked around with this message at 00:25 on May 5, 2017

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

You have a lot of pretty good options when it comes to getting your drink on. Haberdasher is across the street from the convention center and is all about the speakeasy-esque, craft cocktail vibe; reservations highly suggested. On First Street, there's Paper Plane, 55 South, and Original Gravity all right next to each other, although the first two will get utterly swamped on the weekends. There's also the Fountainhead and the Hedley Club Lounge, both of which are on my list and I haven't found time to visit yet. If you wander over to San Pedro Square, there are at least three different bars packed into that area as well.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Are we still recommending BBQ spots? QBB in downtown Mountain View is relatively new and has the largest bourbon menu I've ever seen--nearly three full pages of their menu. My brisket sandwich was pretty good too.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

We have so much god drat Chinese food here in Milpitas. That and seemingly 2-3 boba shops in every single shopping center. Great if you're into it, but I really wish there was more variety here.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Carillon posted:

A food blogger I follow has been trying to find good XLB here in the bay area and failing. All the talk of XLB though has made me want to find some here, anyone have any leads on where they might be?

If you're in the south bay, Din Tai Fung has a location in the Valley Fair mall in west San Jose

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Incoherence posted:

The thing about Nola is that it's not exactly Traditional New Orleans Food like you'd find at somewhere like Poor House Bistro in SJ; it's its own fusion of Cajun/Creole and Californian. Still good, though.

Mervyn's used to be the quintessential downtown Mountain View dive bar, but they have an actual sign out front now so it's probably less hipster-cool than it used to be.

Yeah, it was really weird stopping into the front store for some boba and seeing clear through the door to the back to Merv's.

I remember a few years back when a cocktail was only $2.75. It's gone way up, though probably still more affordable compared to other options in the area.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Found out some of my friends are also foodie types who can afford the occasional nice dinner, so we went to Madera inside the Rosewood a few weeks ago and had a great time. What are some other trendy places in the south bay/peninsula to check out? I think we've got Manresa and Chez TJ on our list.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Ranter posted:

How was the meat, and did the ventilation work well or did you leave reeking of smoke?

I haven't been to a Korean BBQ place here that didn't leave the smoke/meat smell in your clothes.

When I was in Korea, I noticed a lot of the places there put the vent almost directly over the grill, so it actually catches everything--you could get dressed for a night out, eat some barbecue, and then go to the club without smelling like the restaurant. Ever since then, I've wondered why I don't see places like that here.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

SFGate put out a bay area Michelin star restaurant guide recently. Their website layout is garbage, and the slideshow format they presented this in (140 images!) doubly so, so here's a deslided version: http://deslide.clusterfake.net/?u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.sfgate.com%2Ffood%2Fa%2Fsf-michelin-star-restaurants-california-13865113.php

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Welp. Tied House in Mountain View is gone: https://www.mv-voice.com/blogs/p/20...-calls-it-quits

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Anybody know where to get good bread in the south bay? I was just up in Berkeley with a friend and got to check out Acme, which had a huge variety of different breads. But when I try to look for bread/bakeries down here, it's mostly pastries and cakes.

I just want a decent selection of reasonably priced loaves of bread, but it's been hard trying to find something anywhere near San Jose. The closest I've come is Manresa, but from the website, their offerings seem surprisingly scant.

404notfound fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Mar 2, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Thanks, I'll keep an eye out for both Acme and As Kneaded, though what I'm really hoping to find is a shop that I can regularly return to and try out different fresh-baked things. I'm not impressed with what Manresa's website shows, but I'm probably still going to end up there at least once just to see what they have in person