Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I decided to make a thread for this so it gets a bit more traction.

I'm one of those weirdos that doesn't really do IRC, but I do love bieks, so I created a slack channel for people to chat in.

Slack is nice because it has great mobile apps, web apps, etc and they work well and history is saved so you can review all the great content you missed and it's all nice and modern and web2.0.ruby.startup.agile and whatnot.

Let me note, this is :siren:NOT MEANT TO REPLACE IRC:siren: they can both exist side by side, no one has to get huffy, I just prefer mobile apps, and my experience with mobile irc has been "warning: your connection will time out in one minute"

If you'd like to chat on slack, you can register for the official Layer Dan Slack chat here: https://afternoon-everglades-24325.herokuapp.com/. Since nice the registration page is on the free version of heroku, it sleeps if no one accesses it within 30 minutes, so if you try to hit the registration page and it seems to be not loading, just wait a minute, it has to wake up. That's just for the registration page, not for slack itself. post here in this thread and myself or an admin will add you.

The slack channel itself is https://layerdan.slack.com

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 17:27 on May 22, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Bump for the night crew and because we're having a grand old time in slack. Join us!!!

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
no

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

OK

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
Is this the island of misfits for those who got run out of IRC or what

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch
So is slack just one of those things like discord that IT nerds flock to because it's IRC without being irc.synirc.org #bieks?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Yeah it's irc but not garbage, basically.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

It's irc without having to be tethered to a headless Linux box running bitchx in a screen instance

You should try it, it's fun

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

It's irc without having to be tethered to a headless Linux box running bitchx in a screen instance

You should try it, it's fun

irssi is better

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch
I just keep mIRC running in the background. I've never been bothered to screw with setting up a bnc or anything.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
What does this have to do with bikers that don't know how to brake?

E: Can I be taught how to slide properly in this chat?

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
I joined, god help you all

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Joined but not sure what slack is or how to use it

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Slack is irc for millenials

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
Isn't it IRC for people who want to pay for IRC

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HX0fIi3H-es

SapientCorvid
Jun 16, 2008

reading The Internet
joined. it's pretty cool tbh

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
If IRC was enough for 1992 it's enough for me

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

If IRC was enough for 1992 it's enough for me

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Slack is irc for millenials

Join us!! Talk about how boomers ruined the world!

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Bump to keep from archives

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm
Super secret supermoto sluts sanctuary.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Slack is cool and good.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

ElMaligno posted:

Slack is cool and good.

:same:

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Yeah, earplugs and eye surgery, buncha real fuckin cool guys in there. Almost as if the whole chat room is wearin a leather jacket and leaned up on a Trans Am with a cigarette.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Yeah, earplugs and eye surgery, buncha real fuckin cool guys in there. Almost as if the whole chat room is wearin a leather jacket and leaned up on a Trans Am with a cigarette.

Yes where's the slack where we only discuss the finer points of pegging and swap culture.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

you can come by slack and talk about cigarettes and mullets all you want

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

All are welcome in the slack

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014

Z3n posted:

Yes where's the slack where we only discuss the finer points of pegging and swap culture.

How did you develop that prostate callus anyway?

ONLY IN SLACK.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Space Whale posted:

How did you develop that prostate callus anyway?

ONLY IN SLACK.

its a long story.

:quagmire:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Due to cool and hilarious circumstances we are now invite only. Post here if you want in and an admin will add you.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Due to cool and hilarious circumstances we are now invite only. Post here if you want in and an admin will add you.

Is this something where people that use IRC are not allowed to be on slack or what?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

No it's a thing where people who join slack to troll it aren't allowed. Regardless of IRC membership

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

No it's a thing where people who join slack to troll it aren't allowed. Regardless of IRC membership

Which is why people from IRC get blanket banned, OKIE DOKIE

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

EX250 Type R posted:

Which is why people from IRC get blanket banned, OKIE DOKIE

That's not the case but thanks for your concern

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

That's not the case but thanks for your concern

Says the person with the invite only clique. I know I've never trolled, but I am apparently not welcome there because of my association with IRC.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
I too would like to be added to the slack chat. Overnight work is boring and I need to annoy someone.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

Skreemer posted:

I too would like to be added to the slack chat. Overnight work is boring and I need to annoy someone.

irc.synirc.org, #bieks

Everyone is welcome in bieks, we are not a safe space echo chamber and we don't ban people we disagree with. All thoughts and ideas are welcome to be expressed, you just might get poo poo on for the stupid ones.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

EX250 Type R posted:

irc.synirc.org, #bieks

Everyone is welcome in bieks, we are not a safe space echo chamber and we don't ban people we disagree with. All thoughts and ideas are welcome to be expressed, you just might get poo poo on for the stupid ones.

I'll have to see if I can get back in, the company had blocked IRC for a bit and is rather aggressive when they find proxies running internally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Skreemer posted:

Pm me your email address