Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ghost host
Apr 17, 2010

ain't got no cash
ain't go no style
I've mostly imagined retired women and high schoolers needing to fulfill volunteer hours as those who work for free, but apparently there's willing people?

I haven't volunteered since I was 13, when I served pie slices at a church for an hour.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ProSlayer
Aug 11, 2008

Hi friend
I started volunteering after college as a good way to leave the apartment and meet people. I enjoyed it quite a bit and have been doing it about once a month for a couple years now. Can't say I've made an everlasting friendships but I do feel good after helping out.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.
I thought about it for like two seconds until I found out how much those chumps get paid.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
i used to volunteer a lot when i was looking for a job after university because it looks good and is less boring than applying for jobs and i like helping out

the park was good fun, ripping up plants, chopping down trees etc and i can see the improvements i helped with any time i walk through it. its right outside my house too so i feel quite responsible for it.

now im working i mostly just pick up litter left by fuckheads from elsewhere who drive in so they can drop mcdonalds packets and let there dog poo poo everywhere (or tie the dog poo poo up in a bag and leave it hanging from a tree if they are extra filthy antisocial bastards) when im smoking drugs in there

the medical lab was also fun, it looked very good on my cv, helped out the nhs, saw lots of bits of people floating in jars, the works

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
I always tihnk about volunteering and doing something good in my life but instead I sit the gently caress back down, smoke a bowl, and play bideo games.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
you should smoke a bowl and then volunteer in a park, thats what i did (except not a bowl because glassware is for americans)

being outside is fun and its even more fun on weed

Namaer
Jun 6, 2004

i volunteer for sex all the time. i don't get paid. i should get paid.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I volunteered at a social justice archive for a few months after I came back to Canada since I was having no luck finding a job. Real, old-school socjus, no identity politics and micro-aggressions, concerned with worker's rights and freedom of press, woefully outdated, underfunded and with an uncomfortable amount of Russian apologia.

Now I've betrayed all of my ideals and work for a bank. :)

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I volunteer at animal shelters because now I have an "in" as easy access to get stray cats fixed when I trap them. The lamest ulterior motive ever.

No I'm not one of those people that posts about it on Facebook. I don't mind admitting it to strangers on the Internet though.

It is a very rewarding experience but it's hard seeing animals suffer and also you become emotionally invested in these dogs and cats and I now fully understand how people end up with five dogs and nine cats.

I wish I could do it more often but my work schedule and watching our infant child makes it really difficult. You don't need to volunteer every week. Even once a month is a huge help.

Falun Bong Refugee
Dec 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
I haven't done it in a while but It's fun sometimes. I've never just randomly done it, usually a friend or co-worker asks. It's fun to hang out with friends.

Tite Barnacle
Jun 4, 2014

Meowdy Purrdner

Grimey Drawer

Namaer posted:

i volunteer for sex all the time. i don't get paid. i should get paid.

That's just greed, your parents already give you an allowance.

dookifex_maximus
Aug 10, 2016

by zen death robot
anyone made the retard masturbator joke yet

lorn Wayne
Jan 7, 2006

:staredog::meowth::pipe:
I volunteered on weekends for a year at an Epilepsy residential home for the elderly.

it was one of the 'hard houses' of the whole compound as pretty much everyone was in a wheelchair and suffered from a host of other mental/physical conditions on top of epilepsy from alzheimers and tourettes to uncontrollable incontinence. 2 people died during my time there. my worst experience was when a dude's wheelchair tipped over in the shower when I was supervising him, and filling out the subsequent accident report while my hands were shaking.

HUGE turnover rate by underpaid and somewhat understandably jaded care staff. goddamn it was hard but gotta say overall pretty rewarding when you take money out of the equation.

e: give volunteering at least a temporary shot you high/drunk gamer nerds.

dookifex_maximus
Aug 10, 2016

by zen death robot
i heard that will smith wanted like a billion dollars to do this one film and so i thought why not and volunteered to do it for free and it turns out the economy doesn't work the way we think it does

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
I had to do some volunteer work for health class in school. I thought it was bullshit to force someone to do free labor and my dad agreed so he signed off on all my poo poo and said I helped him out at work and I didn't have to do it. Wrote a cool essay about all the good deeds I didn't do and prbs damned my soul but at least I didn't have wage my time. Thanks dad.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
I volunteered for Barracks duty a couple of times. It was boring and I filled out a log book while watching pirated movies on my laptop

Harakiri Potter
Oct 18, 2004

REACH HEAVEN THROUGH VIOLENCE BABY
back in the mid 90's i volunteered to fill sandbags in iowa during some heavy flooding there. i was bussed out there, in a packed blue bird school bus and immediately put to work reinforcing dikes along an oxbow of the missouri. it was hard work to do for free, but i love this country. at one point we were pretty much an island, having camped up on a huge berm, in the pouring rain, to awake to seeing swirling, dirty water loaded with window frames and mailboxes and a few dead cows. it was nuts. then it hailed. big rear end hail stones clunking down on broken sheds and the front end loaders.

so two weeks of this and cleanup work and i'm just praying for a flush toilet and thinking about home. up comes a big disaster aid truck, the people who take your blood and give it away to africans or charge a kidney if you have a rare blood type (i'm super rare, a/b neg) and these guys were like "hey who wants to give us some of your blood lol?!?" so i was like MOLON LABE and asked my cohorts to abstain from giving their blood to these "non profit" poseurs.

some dudes give their blood and get a cookie. while the blood thieves were setting up, they put out a table with coffee and donuts. so i went over to get some coffee bc i haven't had any in like, a day (this one guy really screwed up my latte earlier in the week) and this whiny little dude is like "that's a dollar".

and i'm like "this lovely coffee is a dollar?"

"yes sir"

seriously?

"yes"

so i threw mudballs at their poo poo until they fled. a few hours later, an onawa police car showed up, with a cop that turned out to be into rock music and arrested me. he drove me to a pizza hut first. i bought him the salad bar and we ate and talked ultimate frisbee and hunting and then i got thrown in jail for the night and released after no charges were filed. btw monana county jail isn't really that bad imho, good continental style breakfast, too

dookifex_maximus
Aug 10, 2016

by zen death robot

Booblord Zagats posted:

I volunteered for Barracks duty a couple of times. It was boring and I filled out a log book while watching pirated movies on my laptop

i heard from my ex mil friend that volunteering for poo poo in the army doesn't get you jack poo poo because if you aren't cool enough to to be noticed volunteering isn't going to polish your turd self to the sufficient luster confirm/deny?

Roylicious
Feb 21, 2012

Braver than the cops
ain't afraid of no chaps
If they steppin up on me
I just start bustin some caps
I volunteered for like 5 hours in high school and then I got my friend's mom who was the vice principal of a special needs school to just sign my sheet and say I got 200 hours.

Was pretty dope.

scott zoloft
Dec 7, 2015

yeah same
i'm a camp counselor and parent support group speaker in the summer for a week at sick kid camp

Nekodoshi
Aug 4, 2007

I'm only as smart as the content of my posts.
There's a movement that got started in my town called Hustle Kindness, where once every Friday you wear your Hustle shirt and do an act of random kindness. I'm gonna bake a ton of cookies and drop them off at the VFW to thank the veterans.
Also, the company I work for pays full-time employees up to 8 hours for doing volunteer work.

Rambling Robot
Sep 13, 2011
Duggar Fan Club Superstar #1 LOL
im modding the secret gbs mod forum. its so much fun and i get a card every x-mas.

SEGA Ass Fisting
Feb 15, 2012

KEEP IT TIGHT!
you should all volunteer to eat my poo poo

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich
I worked at once of those "dirty hippie save the world" shops for the express purpose of trying to bang keen young chicks trying to change the world.

Worked 3 times.

Cymoril
Jul 1, 2005

Kittens Warm the World
Dinosaur Gum
I volunteer at a cat rescue. I get to pet cats whenever I want.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

504 posted:

I worked at once of those "dirty hippie save the world" shops for the express purpose of trying to bang keen young chicks trying to change the world.

Worked 3 times.

stdh.txt

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.
You should ask your mom about volunteering at the dick sucking factory.

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich

Sorry you think its impossible to get laid.

Uncle Salty
Jan 19, 2008
BOYS
I've volunteered for years with a group that runs a college-readiness program for kids in my city. The work is a combination of mentoring and helping them project-manage a project they design and implement themselves. I love the kids and the program actually has some good outcomes. I don't know; I like it. I'm not there to bang chicks but if I did want to bang chicks with purple hair and engineering degrees (other volunteers, not the students) , this would be the place to do it.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
all the people at the park were old or unemployed losers like me because it was on weekdays

i did not try to bang them

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich

XMNN posted:

all the people at the park were old or unemployed losers like me because it was on weekdays

i did not try to bang them

You have made a correct decision.

SpaghetioSexNoises
Aug 16, 2015
I volunteered at the special olympics for 2 years. I did not try to bang them.

Oh Hell No
Oct 10, 2007

I've got the world on a string.

i volunteered at a large public aquarium for a year and got to deal one-on-one with the penguins and otters and octopuses in quarantine and medical holding, poo poo owned

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

i volunteer at the film festival every year, its a great way to meet girls and say hi to a mild celebrity

SEGA Ass Fisting
Feb 15, 2012

KEEP IT TIGHT!
I volunteer at the pussy eating factory

Harakiri Potter
Oct 18, 2004

REACH HEAVEN THROUGH VIOLENCE BABY

SpaghetioSexNoises posted:

I volunteered at the special olympics for 2 years. I did not try to bang them.

thank you for your service, without people like you, my brother, who is a retard power lifter, would not have a chance

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich

Rape Stink posted:

I volunteer at the pussy eating factory

So you work from home and don't get paid.

jenny jones fan
Dec 24, 2007

SpaghetioSexNoises posted:

I volunteered at the special olympics for 2 years.

So you work from home

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

i thought about volunteering once but realized that only suckers work without being paid

• Locked thread