Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

I'm 100% feels all the time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Mo Tzu posted:

This is good advice, though if you're more intellectual and less experiential (this seems elitist but I'm not sure how else to say "if thinking is easier than feeling for you") then reading up on different church dogmas, ideologies, and theologies is also good
there's also different kinds of thinking, for instance i think about abstract things or general things in terms of concrete or specific things, so in order to explain something when i write something i end up listing a billion examples

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Smoking Crow posted:

Hello and welcome to the apostolic successor of the last Christianity thread. While most of us are liturgical in some form (Catholic, Orthodox, Lutheran, Episcopalian, etc), we cover a myriad of denominations. Ask anything you want! Just remember the rules: 1) be a cool guy 2) don't be an uncool guy.

last thread https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3554109

Always now and ever and unto ages of ages~~~

Just as the devil is disorderly and jumbles things together, so your writings and head are equally disordered and mixed up, so that it is exceedingly annoying to read and difficult to remember what you write, OP.

(source)

Worthleast
Nov 25, 2012

Possibly the only speedboat jumps I've planned

Lutha Mahtin posted:

Just as the devil is disorderly and jumbles things together, so your writings and head are equally disordered and mixed up, so that it is exceedingly annoying to read and difficult to remember what you write, OP.

(source)

You are as an arch rascal and disgraceful scoundrel. You are the white devil and a glittering Satan.

Imagine if Luther had the internet.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
I may actually change my mind about the, uh, :effort: OP if it gets lurkers to stop lurking and :justpost:

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

if you're going to complain to someone, complain to rodrigo diaz, i based mine on his milhist op

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
To the lurkers, don't sweat the agnosticism. I've arrived as a practitioning asatrúar shaman who is also christian and into native american cosmology. I'll be happy to answer questions about the path or took or just faith in general!

HEY GAL posted:

there's also different kinds of thinking, for instance i think about abstract things or general things in terms of concrete or specific things, so in order to explain something when i write something i end up listing a billion examples

That's cool and good not really relevant because you haven't yet TOLD ME ABOUT YOUR GAME

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

HEY GAL posted:

Yeah I guess it's less intellectual vs experiential and more visual vs aural/ something about being social maybe

Nothing scares me more than a church that welcomes visitors, especially ones with almost no young people (they seem desperate tbh)

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

As a Mennonite-Turned-Unfocused-Believer-In-Things-I-Can't-Quite-Define, I rate this thread A++, Would Rescue From Drowning Only To Be Burned At The Stake By It Later Again.

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Ways to circumvent the Compact #6: Find a dreaming god and affect his dreams so that they become reality. Hey, it's not like it's you who's affecting the world. Blame the other guy for irresponsibly falling asleep.

my dad posted:

I may actually change my mind about the, uh, :effort: OP if it gets lurkers to stop lurking and :justpost:

I especially adore venerate like the thread title.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Just waiting for Zen death robot

I always mess something up in ops

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Smoking Crow posted:

Just waiting for Zen death robot

I always mess something up in ops

Yeah you're missing an I in Christianity.

Blurred
Aug 26, 2004

WELL I WONNER WHAT IT'S LIIIIIKE TO BE A GOOD POSTER

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
meh

come back with prosperity gospel

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Ways to circumvent the Compact #6: Find a dreaming god and affect his dreams so that they become reality. Hey, it's not like it's you who's affecting the world. Blame the other guy for irresponsibly falling asleep.

Worthleast posted:

Post the sweetest Church music you got. Christian Rock is not Church music, for it is neither good Christianity, nor good rock.

Vestments and architecture are a bonus.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9y9yM53TowA

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AhiSYk1zVLQ

For real though, that band's songwriter draws most inspiration from Beethoven and other contemporary superstars.

Valiantman fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Sep 20, 2016

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Should have said arius

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
i love the facial expressions in that comic so very very much.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
valentinus was right

Bolocko
Oct 19, 2007

Mo Tzu posted:

Nothing scares me more than a church that welcomes visitors, especially ones with almost no young people (they seem desperate tbh)

How about mine, where the first day I went to a mass in about 25 years the greeter outside explained to me that he didn't think he believed "the whole thing" but he wanted the "community aspect." He was a Eucharistic minister.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Mo Tzu posted:

Yeah I guess it's less intellectual vs experiential and more visual vs aural/ something about being social maybe

What about unfriendly churches

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Worthleast posted:

Post the sweetest Church music you got. Christian Rock is not Church music, for it is neither good Christianity, nor good rock.

Vestments and architecture are a bonus.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9y9yM53TowA

I posted this in the last thread but Armenian chant is baller and I still wanna go to one of their Divine Liturgies with HEY GAL when she's back in the states. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XtPfE6mHA_s

Also, glad to see lurkers posting, seriously :justpost: as long as it's not abortion or prosperity gospel

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you
Here's my fave Christian musician. He's a big genre hopper:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7sDzjG9p3_c

He has about a zillion albums ranging from quasi-prog to deconstructed hip-hop. Here's a solid album of verbatim psalms:
https://soul-junk.bandcamp.com/album/1961

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Mo Tzu posted:

I've spent a while church shopping in four different cities, and for me it's the community that matters more than the theology - I'm a young person (well, relatively young these days), and I keep looking for a church with people my own age. It's always been hard to find one that also isn't hardcore right-wing.

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Smoking Crow posted:

What about unfriendly churches

Welcoming, but in a New England way not a southern way

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Mo Tzu posted:

Gotta explain this to a dirty Old Worlder

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

System Metternich posted:

southerners are extremely gastfreundlich, except maybe texans but that's the west not the south
i do not know anyone from New England so i don't have the appropriate german adjective

ed: also southern food is delicious and fattening

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Cythereal posted:

I've spent a while church shopping in four different cities, and for me it's the community that matters more than the theology - I'm a young person (well, relatively young these days), and I keep looking for a church with people my own age. It's always been hard to find one that also isn't hardcore right-wing.

Be the change you want to see. Old congregations know they're old and know they need younger members. Join one and be the seed of a new generation in the church. They're all sick of being on committees at this point so in a few years you could be running the place.

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

System Metternich posted:

Southern people are super friendly, like smiles and "how are you" and stuff like that. New England people are more cold, less likely to be as exuberant in their welcome, but aren't unfriendly. Unless you're southern, in which case it seems rude

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
I miss the old OP.

huber was right

e: The thread tag is funny though.

RubricMarine
Feb 14, 2012

From the last thread 'cause I was TOO SLOW

HEY GAL posted:

anything preventing you from coming back?

or from test-driving Orthodoxy? :twisted:

Mostly just personal difficulty with believing. Even when I was younger and still involved with the church, there was no energy behind it, and after a while I kinda realized I had like, never truly believed in God but went through the motions. This has stayed true even when I was going through a pendulum motion of atheism/agnosticism and the church/deism back in the day. Still, I wouldn't be here if I was some card-carrying, smug "ha ha you dumb Christians there couldn't possibly be such a thing as God :agesilaus:" atheist; I find theology and the liturgy extremely interesting. Pomp and circumstance is like, my extended middle name.

Though, come to think of it, I know very little about Orthodoxy beyond a vague concept of autocephaly, the Pentarchy being a thing, and silly hats with fold-down crosses so they don't hit the door. I know some of how Orthodoxy affected the history of the Byzantines as well, but nothing beyond that, really!

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Mo Tzu posted:

The Midwest is too cold and unfriendly for me

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Deteriorata posted:

Be the change you want to see. Old congregations know they're old and know they need younger members. Join one and be the seed of a new generation in the church. They're all sick of being on committees at this point so in a few years you could be running the place.

I'm in the fourth city I've lived in in the past ten years. :v: Maybe if I find the right one. Of the churches I visited, though, it was the ELCA Lutheran church I was happiest with. They certainly had the best food.

For those new to this thread, I'm an Evangelical by background and general beliefs, but I no longer consider myself Southern Baptist per se - I have issues with how right-wing the SBC has become, and a lot of Evangelical churches in general.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Cythereal posted:

I'm in the fourth city I've lived in in the past ten years. :v: Maybe if I find the right one. Of the churches I visited, though, it was the ELCA Lutheran church I was happiest with. They certainly had the best food.

For those new to this thread, I'm an Evangelical by background and general beliefs, but I no longer consider myself Southern Baptist per se - I have issues with how right-wing the SBC has become, and a lot of Evangelical churches in general.
and he moves a lot, add that to the character sheet

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

HEY GAL posted:

and he moves a lot, add that to the character sheet

:p College, grad school, and two different jobs. Thought I'd mention my religious background for any newcomers to the thread since the old one was explicitly aimed at/about liturgical Christianity.

At any rate, character sheet duly created.

Cythereal fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Sep 20, 2016

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003
A reading from the Gospel of Markov

quote:

And it came to it, he saith unto them, "Render to Caesar the things which Moses commanded, for a camel to go through the midst of the gospel of the chief priests, and unto the sea."

Amen.

The Wolfen
Apr 12, 2007
Wanted Ghost Coon. Cannot be treed or trapped. Reward Ghost Coon Skin Cap!
Fun Shoe
Count me as another long time lurker who is willing to chime in now that the thread is fresh and new. I came into the old one trying to expand my knowledge of the lived experience of liturgical church Christians compared to my staunchly Protestant upbringing, and have been blown away by how much I didn't know about Catholicism and Orthodoxy in particular (I honestly don't even know that I knew Orthodoxy was a thing).

My fiancee comes from at least a culturally Catholic background, so I've wanted to learn something of the traditions and practices that make up a significant part of her belief system. It's been incredibly helpful for me to be able to read the experiences and beliefs of everyone here, and hopefully one day I will be able to contribute something myself (though the only thing I really know much about is church planting in Central Texas and that from a congregant rather than clergy position).

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
I keep getting videos from this channel in my youtube recommendations, and this one I thought was funny enough to share.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6WI7opaMUI

Sinnlos
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about believing in magical rainbow gold

Has anyone in this thread been through Pre Cana with the Roman Catholic Church? I'm about to start with my fiancé, and have a general idea of what to expect, yet find myself still somewhat apprehensive about the whole affair.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Paladinus posted:

I keep getting videos from this channel in my youtube recommendations, and this one I thought was funny enough to share.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6WI7opaMUI

The list of things Facebook thinks I am, judging by the stuff it regularly suggests to me: gay republican pro-putin atheist mra neo-nazi who wants to kill all muslims

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

my dad posted:

The list of things Facebook thinks I am, judging by the stuff it regularly suggests to me: gay republican pro-putin atheist mra neo-nazi who wants to kill all muslims

so... Milo Yiannopoulos?

• Locked thread