Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Caustic Soda posted:

Probably. My aunt lives out on the country, and at least back when she was in her 40'ies church was the one social event in the local village, so she attended even though she is (and was) an atheist. I doubt rural Denmark is as sparsely populated as the Midwest, though.

True enough. In rural Denmark the church is much, much stronger, though. Also where the "kooks" have their strongholds, JW, baptists and Inner Mission( a Pietist movement thing) are especially numerous out there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Churches are also big social events down in the American South where I live.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Cythereal posted:

Churches are also big social events down in the American South where I live.
Southern Baptists usually have a Wednesday night meeting as well as Sunday, and IIRC some congregations have an afternoon service on Sunday that you are expected to attend as well as the morning service.

Good luck trying to find a table at any restaurant after 11AM, as all the churchgoers flood out to breakfast/lunch/brunch with the family.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Southern Baptists usually have a Wednesday night meeting as well as Sunday, and IIRC some congregations have an afternoon service on Sunday that you are expected to attend as well as the morning service.

Good luck trying to find a table at any restaurant after 11AM, as all the churchgoers flood out to breakfast/lunch/brunch with the family.

Yup. In my experience, the Wednesday night meetings are usually aimed at youth programs and also invent something for the kids' parents to do.

The after-church rush is real and it is a pain.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Cythereal posted:

Yup. In my experience, the Wednesday night meetings are usually aimed at youth programs and also invent something for the kids' parents to do.

The after-church rush is real and it is a pain.
When I lived in NC, there were also blue laws and non-exempt businesses were only allowed to be open from 12-5. This meant that shopping on Sunday was also a madhouse. It's good to be on a coast full of degenerates who stagger out to brunch solely for the chance to two-fist margaritas and mimosas.

stereobreadsticks
Feb 28, 2008

Mr Enderby posted:

Do you know how these folk saints are venerated (worshiped)? Is it just the same as form of veneration as that done by lay people for recognised saints, or are there additional aspects?

It depends on the individual traditions but yeah, a lot of them are basically just treated as extra saints. Even things like dressing up your statue of Santa Muerte really aren't that different from the traditions of dressing up your statues of Mary, which is also a really common thing in Mexico. There are some that are taken a bit more seriously, as you can see in the picture I posted Maria Lionza is sometimes given offerings of things like fruit, drinks, and cigars but even with her there's kind of a spectrum of belief ranging from, "sure put a statue up, why not? we've got statues of all the other saints" to believing she's literally a goddess at the center of her own religion.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

stereobreadsticks posted:

It depends on the individual traditions but yeah, a lot of them are basically just treated as extra saints. Even things like dressing up your statue of Santa Muerte really aren't that different from the traditions of dressing up your statues of Mary, which is also a really common thing in Mexico.
I was reading that in the Philippines you dress up the Santo Niño instead. I wish *my* religious tradition included dressing up dolls for the home. Yes, I know I could just do it, but my husband would roll his eyes at me. A lot, and in any case the Baby Jesus wouldn't be high on my list of preferred saints.

stereobreadsticks
Feb 28, 2008

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I was reading that in the Philippines you dress up the Santo Niño instead. I wish *my* religious tradition included dressing up dolls for the home. Yes, I know I could just do it, but my husband would roll his eyes at me. A lot, and in any case the Baby Jesus wouldn't be high on my list of preferred saints.

Now that you mention it, that's probably what I was thinking of. I know I've been in peoples' houses in both the US and Mexico where they've had properly dressed up Marys but I can't really find examples online so it's possible it's just something those individuals did rather than a traditional thing.

Also, you should totally get awesome religion dolls, why not?

stereobreadsticks fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Sep 23, 2016

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
we dressed La Conquistadora up when i was a child

http://www.santafenewmexican.com/news/local_news/history-of-la-conquistadora/article_ca342910-fe14-5b69-a766-8cb9000ac3d8.html

there is also a collection of her tiny clothing in our cathedral museum

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

stereobreadsticks posted:

Also, you should totally get awesome religion dolls, why not?
Because I wouldn't be venerating them, and it would be tacky. And there would be no fun in dressing up a statue of (say) Elizabeth Fry because Quaker.

stereobreadsticks
Feb 28, 2008

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Because I wouldn't be venerating them, and it would be tacky. And there would be no fun in dressing up a statue of (say) Elizabeth Fry because Quaker.

That's fair. And yeah, Elizabeth Fry's pretty cool but it wouldn't really work to bling her out.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

When I was a kid, everyone rushed out the door after church because gently caress you guys, you're not as important as the Bengals or Steelers

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Smoking Crow posted:

When I was a kid, everyone rushed out the door after church because gently caress you guys, you're not as important as the Bengals or Steelers

I once went to church during the first half of the super bowl and there were literally a dozen people in there

it was the broncos/seahawks one so tbh im glad I missed most of it

Worthleast
Nov 25, 2012

Possibly the only speedboat jumps I've planned

StashAugustine posted:

I once went to church during the first half of the super bowl and there were literally a dozen people in there

it was the broncos/seahawks one so tbh im glad I missed most of it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLETOxd_bWI

Hoover Dam
Jun 17, 2003

red white and blue forever

Smoking Crow posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_M03pO-Gw0A
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYKFszOlxLo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kebKRIppN0I

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
How big are those churches where you have coffee and potlucks? Because I can hardly imagine my downtown church's 200+ congragants gathering together. Also, do you do it somewhere around the church or go places?
I really doubt I'll get in touch with any parishioners here. It's a big church in a 'sleeping hood' (translating from Lithuanian verbatim - it's a term for city districts/areas where you have mainly apartment buildings and schools and supermarkets - entertainment, culture and industry happens somewhere else), about 10 to 15 minute walk...

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
in english we say bedroom community

also my church is like...30 people

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

JcDent posted:

How big are those churches where you have coffee and potlucks? Because I can hardly imagine my downtown church's 200+ congragants gathering together. Also, do you do it somewhere around the church or go places?
I really doubt I'll get in touch with any parishioners here. It's a big church in a 'sleeping hood' (translating from Lithuanian verbatim - it's a term for city districts/areas where you have mainly apartment buildings and schools and supermarkets - entertainment, culture and industry happens somewhere else), about 10 to 15 minute walk...

I'm in the American South, and I have never seen a church of any denomination not do coffee and snacks, from the Lutheran church with 20 people in most services to the college-aimed nondenominational Protestant college church with hundreds. Every church I've been to has had a lobby area if not a big utility room used for the purpose.

Digging out an old post from when I was in my first job I moved for and was visiting local churches and surveying the food:

quote:

Southern Baptist megachurch: granola bars, orange juice, lovely coffee.
Non-denominational Protestant church 1: pop-tarts, coffee cake, coffee.
Small Baptist church: small mountain of publix bakery items, coffee.
Lutheran church: random homemade sweets, donuts, homemade lemonade, really good coffee (coffee hour doubled as bible study for the whole church - it was that small).
Non-denominational Protestant church 2: dunkin donuts, coffee, orange juice.
Methodist church: homemade banana nut bread, dunkin donuts, coffee, orange juice.
Episcopalian church: coffee cake, cinnamon rolls, coffee, orange juice.
Catholic church: next door to a dunkin donuts
Russian Orthodox church: GREAT coffee, coffee cake, donuts

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

I don't know that it's possible to have a church too small for a potluck. The storefront OCA church I went to this last Sunday had one for its churchwarming, complete with a Byzantine church cake.

Mr Enderby
Mar 28, 2015

Valiantman posted:

There might be coffee afterwards sometimes if there's a visitor to the parish, like a missionary or something. Or some breakfast oatmeal if it's a family service. Might be different in some places but I'd say that's the rule of thumb in Finland. You come, you sit and chant, you maybe receive the Eucharist, you leave. It's likely you speak to no one and that's not because of Finnish stereotypes. It sucks big time.

That's kind of sad. Maybe start something up? Honestly, apart from people with their kids, I'd guess most people who make time for church on a Sunday would be willing/glad to have a biscuit and a chat afterwards.

Most Anglican churches I've been to have had some sort of social event after their services, but this may be less common in the countryside. My mother's church (Presbyterian) does lunch every Sunday, although that's possible because there's an on-site kitchen and hall. There's a small charge, but it's waived for the homeless. I've cooked there a few times.

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003

Cythereal posted:

Digging out an old post from when I was in my first job I moved for and was visiting local churches and surveying the food:

You didn't visit a hardline Church of Christ. Kitchens in the church building? Unscriptural. Fellowship halls? Unscriptural. Potlucks. Definitely unscriptural.

Actually how common is it for Catholic churches to have kitchens? Mine does, but the church is gigantic.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

Now that I think about it, I think every church I've ever been to has had a kitchen.

Of course, a number of those were Catholic churches that also had Catholic schools attached.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
I went to non-denominational preschool under a Catholic church.

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

Keromaru5 posted:

Now that I think about it, I think every church I've ever been to has had a kitchen.

Of course, a number of those were Catholic churches that also had Catholic schools attached.

Same here, whether or not the church also had a school, whether or not the church ever had potlucks or post-service coffee. (In my current parish's case, no school, potlucks, or coffee, but the kitchen's where they cook the pancakes, breakfast tacos, or sausage that the Knights of Columbus sell as a fundraiser every other month, or the spaghetti dinners that the high school youth group does as a fundraiser, that kind of thing.)

Bel_Canto
Apr 23, 2007

"Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo."

Keromaru5 posted:

Never even heard of a Catholic church without a kitchen. Remember that many of the Catholic ethnicities in America are people for whom making shitloads of food is baseline hospitality: Poles, Italians, and Hispanics all do this to varying degrees. My people (Irish) are the exception here, but lavish church hospitality kind of went out the window when the people you were inviting in might be redcoats who'd kill you and burn the altar.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

I've never seen a church with a kitchen anywhere, at least not Catholic ones (not sure about the local Lutheran church). You've got a fully-equipped kitchen in the Pfarr- or Gemeindezentrum (a larger building near to the church where there are rooms and facilities for the various parish groups and usually also a large hall for theatre productions and stuff) and also wherever the priests live, of course, but the average church around here is only for prayer/dusty hidden rooms we don't tell the tourists about that've got tons of ancient stuff in there that nobody ever needs

e: Are you saying that the kitchen is indeed part of the church building itself? If so than that may be another American-European difference

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

System Metternich posted:

I've never seen a church with a kitchen anywhere, at least not Catholic ones (not sure about the local Lutheran church). You've got a fully-equipped kitchen in the Pfarr- or Gemeindezentrum (a larger building near to the church where there are rooms and facilities for the various parish groups and usually also a large hall for theatre productions and stuff) and also wherever the priests live, of course, but the average church around here is only for prayer/dusty hidden rooms we don't tell the tourists about that've got tons of ancient stuff in there that nobody ever needs

e: Are you saying that the kitchen is indeed part of the church building itself? If so than that may be another American-European difference

I've never seen a church of any denomination without a kitchen, either in the church building itself or part of another building on the church property for church events. I have no trouble believing it's an American thing.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

System Metternich posted:

Yeah, every American church I've been to has a kitchen and fellowship hall of some sort, typically in the basement or attached to the sanctuary building. I'm sure there are lots with detached buildings too but I can't think of any I've seen.

Could it just be a time period thing, with older European churches being built before coffee hour and potluck luncheons were a common cultural thing?

Also, pray for me goons, I'm going country dancing tonight and am rhythmically challenged. Pray for my date's toes :v:

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

American churches also have kitchens because it makes it easier to host a wedding or funeral (although nowadays the reception and wake are usually held elsewhere).

Wow, now I'm realizing how much it would weird me out if a modern (post-1900) church *didn't* have a kitchen, and a big one. When a local church closed out this year, they sold a lot of institutional-quality kitchen equipment.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Pellisworth posted:

I'm sure there are lots with detached buildings too but I can't think of any I've seen.

I've been to a few churches with kitchens and fellowship halls in detached buildings. Seems to be not uncommon when the initial sanctuary building is small or old and then they saved up enough money to add a second building on the church property which usually includes a fellowship hall, kitchen, and Sunday school/office space.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I am pretty sure my local Catholic church doesn't have a kitchen. When I was a kid I was all over that building and I dunno where you'd put it. But then there was no social aspect to church either, except the service itself and maybe saying hi to people you hadn't seen all week. No organised thing, no food or anything. I believe the Baptists round the corner do more of the social stuff though, and I know the Anglicans do.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Cythereal posted:

I've been to a few churches with kitchens and fellowship halls in detached buildings. Seems to be not uncommon when the initial sanctuary building is small or old and then they saved up enough money to add a second building on the church property which usually includes a fellowship hall, kitchen, and Sunday school/office space.

Thinking more about it, seems to me that it would be hard to pull off coffee hour, potluck lunch, and food banking without modern food storage (canning, refrigeration, freezing) and electricity.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Hey Hegel- I was doing some research into the Galileo affair and came across the claim that asserting the Earth is not in the center of the universe caused theological problems (that is not just in terms of scriptural interpretation but in asserting that humanity isn't the center of the universe) - does your knowledge of the early modern period back that up?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

StashAugustine posted:

Hey Hegel- I was doing some research into the Galileo affair and came across the claim that asserting the Earth is not in the center of the universe caused theological problems (that is not just in terms of scriptural interpretation but in asserting that humanity isn't the center of the universe) - does your knowledge of the early modern period back that up?

That was the prime charge of heresy against him. It's not a disputed point as far as I know.

The whole thing was a political mess primarily, but the Pope fired the heresy gun when Galileo wouldn't back down.

ETA: Here's a pretty good writeup on it.

Deteriorata fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Sep 23, 2016

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

Keromaru5 posted:

I don't know that it's possible to have a church too small for a potluck. The storefront OCA church I went to this last Sunday had one for its churchwarming, complete with a Byzantine church cake.

Can we see a picture of the church cake? :D

After the blót we throw up a three-legged bonfire pan and grill horse steaks, it owns

Hoover Dam
Jun 17, 2003

red white and blue forever

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Wow, now I'm realizing how much it would weird me out if a modern (post-1900) church *didn't* have a kitchen, and a big one. When a local church closed out this year, they sold a lot of institutional-quality kitchen equipment.

"My parents used to have a gyro machine, but we gave it to the church when we sold the restaurant." --a buddy of mine inadvertently uttering the most Greek-American sentence possible

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Yeah I can't say I've ever seen a church in Minnesota that did not have a kitchen. It's even part of a pretty well-known in-joke here, the idea of church basement ladies. The joke, which even some of you foreigners might agree with, is that no matter who the people are who are nominally "in charge", the real power and heart of a parish lies in the middle-aged and older women who work tirelessly to put on events and keep things running smoothly. Many church buildings in America, or at least throughout much of Minnesota and other Upper Midwest states, were made such that the basement underneath the sanctuary was the combination fellowship hall, kitchen, and (if you have it set up with room dividers) Sunday School rooms.

During my youth, I spent many Sunday mornings on feast days in the basement of the church, helping cook for youth fundraiser meals during the worship service. One thing that every church basement kitchen has is a PA speaker with a wire running to the sanctuary's PA system. This allows the people tending to the food to still participate somewhat in the service and hear the sermon. It is an interesting experience to cook and worship at the same time, for sure. There are times when you might have to temporarily take over for someone who is following deeply the church prayers, or someone who needs to run up and sing with the choir :haw:

Blurred
Aug 26, 2004

WELL I WONNER WHAT IT'S LIIIIIKE TO BE A GOOD POSTER
Is there any information on what kind of religious beliefs ordinary peasant folks had during the Medieval period?

My understanding of the first few hundred years of Christianity (prior to Constantine anyway) is that churches were small and intimate affairs, where converts came to the faith voluntarily and would have been in direct contact with religious teachers within the community, so we can therefore assume that they would have had a decent grasp of the relevant theology. After the medieval period, with the invention of the printing press and wider literacy, we can again assume that it was possible for the average peasant to be well informed on at least the fundamentals of Catholic dogma. But what about the intermediating period? Without books or literacy, with masses performed in a foreign tongue, and without the idea of voluntary religious association (if your king was a Catholic, that meant you were too) just what kind of knowledge could the average peasant have been expected to have about Catholic teachings? Would the average peasant have even set foot in a church, much less have been able to communicate directly with his / her parish priest about any questions they may have had?

I've read a few books about the medieval period generally, and about Christianity / the Church in the medieval period specifically, and they always seem to gloss over this part. It seems obligatory to mention that the Church was always facing in uphill battle in suppressing pagan superstitions during this period, but that's about it. Is there any information at all about the role that Christianity played in the lives of ordinary people during this period?

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
there is a chick in this hostel from Alaska, and it's making me think: does anyone here know how native Alaskans fast? if you live in Alaska and hunt whales, there's not a lot of farming up there. Same for native Siberians I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

HEY GAL posted:

there is a chick in this hostel from Alaska, and it's making me think: does anyone here know how native Alaskans fast? if you live in Alaska and hunt whales, there's not a lot of farming up there. Same for native Siberians I guess.

That's a good question, I do know you're right and the Inuits have an almost entirely animal-based diet so fasting seems like it'd be tough. They also would be dealing with serious vitamin D deficiency since they're getting all their vit D from eating animals (especially seafood) rather than sunlight.

e: also I forget the numbers but there are a ton of Inuits who still eat a largely traditional diet, we're not talking past tense

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Sep 24, 2016

• Locked thread