Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty
I saw a thing saying that lurkers should just post, and whilst I'm not much of a lurker here I haven't seen this broached in my skim-reads of this thread. I have always wondered how people know they've picked the right religion/the right version of a religion and I'm interested to hear some thoughts on that, if anyone's happy to tell me any. Whilst I appreciate that not all religious institutions/individuals have the same "If you don't believe exactly what I do then you're going to Hell!" thing, as I understand it there is usually some degree of feeling that your version is the 'correct' one to some degree or another and I find that interesting because it's something I just don't have context to understand. So... How do you know you picked correctly?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

Lutha Mahtin posted:

I notice in your post here that you seem to be talking about what I would say are several separate issues, and it's not clear to me if you realize that many people consider them separate. One is the issue of how people approach religious, cosmological, and philosophical ideas in terms of truth and authority. Another is the issue of how someone believes their chosen understanding of truth and authority relates to other people who do not have the same beliefs or life experiences that they do. These aren't the only ideas in your post, but these two are very large ideas on their own so let's just stick with them for now.

When considering the ideas of truth, authority, and/or correctness, I have to start by saying that I'm a little skeptical of your statement that you "don't have the context to understand" how people accept ideas about the world, their experiences, reality, etc., because everyone does this. Regardless of whether someone considers themselves religious, not religious, whatever, everyone has ideas and reasoning about their experience and how/whether this experience exists within a broader reality, as well as about the nature of that broader reality. So if you are indeed basing your reasoning about this issue upon the logical assumption that there are several ways of looking at the world, one being your own way and another being the "religious" way, and that these two ways are mutually exclusive and possibly incomprehensible to each other, I would then have to put on my smug postmodernist hat and say that this assumption is (1) in some ways Othering religious people in comparison to you and your own school of thought, and (2) not a whole lot different from, for example, a religious person who cannot conceive of how an atheist could possibly live by a code of morals. Please note that I am not saying that you are indeed doing this or that you're bad or mean or anything negative: I'm just trying to give you some ideas to think on, because clearly you are someone who has thoughts about stuff and is curious to learn, which is cool and good.

And actually, I lied that I was going to cover the two topics I listed in my first paragraph. I will try to write more eventually but time is short at the moment, so I'll just post this part for now.

People do reason about their experience, but I am struggling to think of another situation (with that said, the poster who pointed out that it's probably similar to political leanings I think made a good point that I hadn't considered) where there is so much to choose from in terms of schema surrounding an experience that then translates into traditions, beliefs, actions etc. I suppose something like "How do we all know we're seeing the same thing when we talk about colour?" is also similar, but on the whole language then steps in there and makes it a mostly moot point in a day-to-day context. I get the feeling that religious/spiritual belief systems have less of a... default? for lack of a better word, solution. We can also debate things like the existence of the table in front of us, and all those other classic philosophical things, but ultimately the vast majority of people will behave the same around that table regardless of whether or not it could be argued to be something other than that which it appears to be.

On the other hand it feels like the nature of a deity, creation, and how those relate to one another and the person thinking about them has more possible 'solutions,' causing people to act in vastly different ways based upon their interpretation of these.

I suppose the purpose of my post was more to ask for individual experiences of choosing the 'right' religion - whether that's just because it works for them, as has been said in response, or whether it's because it feels more factually correct. Which may be the separation you are referring to at the start of your post?

I hope that made sense, I'm super tired but didn't want you to think I'd posted and abandoned!

• Locked thread