Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I am pretty sure my local Catholic church doesn't have a kitchen. When I was a kid I was all over that building and I dunno where you'd put it. But then there was no social aspect to church either, except the service itself and maybe saying hi to people you hadn't seen all week. No organised thing, no food or anything. I believe the Baptists round the corner do more of the social stuff though, and I know the Anglicans do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

I checked at my local Catholic church today and it turns out they do have refreshments after the Sunday service, so that's my bad.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Late, but wanted to shout-out to my fellow possibly-atheist still-Catholics. I am in the middle of a long slow process of working out what the hell I believe at all, but I'm certain cultural Catholicism is a thing because that's what I am.

Also the phrase 'prosperity gospel' makes me want to set things on fire.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Doctor Malaver posted:

https://www.facebook.com/OtkroiGruziu/videos/1770517589866681/

I posted this in two threads already - I forgot this one would be the most appropriate. Georgian monks and a child sing to the Pope in Aramaic. Beautiful.

The girl's singing sounds like Russian to me at moments but I guess it isn't because nobody mentioned it. The text is Psalm 50 or 51. Does anyone have that in Aramaic perhaps?

This is incredible, thank you for posting it

e: same song on Youtube for the lazy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=locW-9S00VU

HopperUK fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Oct 9, 2016

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

I've only ever had Communion wine twice and it was absolutely horrible both times.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

what's happening
where are their hats?
WHERE ARE THEIR HATS

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Jesus was (according to the gospels) a specific man living at a specific time and place. Of course a lot of what he said was specific and seems obscure to us today. Reading the Bible for me is all about context. I got myself a study bible (Harper Collins) and I'm slowly working through it, because I loving love footnotes.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

My Bible readthrough is finally out of Leviticus. And it was interesting but I still got bogged down. Holy crap I'm glad to be approaching the bits with talking donkeys and stuff.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

'Prosperity gospel' fills me with such blind rage that I'm starting to understand the word 'heretic' in a whole new way.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

drat ancient Israelites, is it so hard to just not worship false idols for five loving minutes, I mean. drat. I'm really enjoying the Old Testament right now.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Mo Tzu posted:

She isn't, because when informed of the reality she doesn't try to convince me it didn't happen but instead goes, "oh. oh god."

Also you really don't realize how hosed up your childhood was until you mention things like this and people go, "oh my god that's horrible." Oops.

I can relate to a bit of this. My mother went through an alcoholic phase and there are things I know for a fact I'm the only one who remembers, because both my parents were drunk and my siblings were tiny.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

There aren't any saints with my name despite it being all Irish and stuff. My middle name is Roman and there aren't any there either. I can corner this market if I can quick figure out how to be super holy.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

HEY GAL posted:

like, literally Roman? that's Romanus, patron saint of music

Nah, I mean, of Roman origin. Lavinia.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

I popped into the cathedral just now and the choir were practicing for evensong and it was extraordinarily beautiful. I thought of you lot in this thread. My slow meander back to faith has honestly been assisted by the discourse here and I just wanted to say thank you. So thanks, posters. Thosters.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

It's occurred to me that the best explanation for Christ's sacrifice is that the only option available to a being of infinite power and infinite goodness is to commit suicide, because what could be more inimical to the interests of slaves than an eternal master upon whom they are inescapably dependent?

Call it "the Problem of Goodness."

At the risk of spoilers, you ought to seek out 'The Second Coming', the TV show written by Russell T Davies in his pre-Doctor Who days. It has things to say on this score and I quite liked it, though that was many a year ago.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Favourite characters in Bible readthrough so far:

1) Balaam's donkey, the real heroine of that story
2) Aaron 'The gold just came out of the fire in that shape, honest'

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Josef bugman posted:

The purpose of different parts of the Bible and Tanakah are designed to show different things. This I agree on. However I would assume that a holy document would want to show its subject, in this case God. In the best possible light in order to recommend remaining within the faith or to encourage others to take part in it.

I would have thought the purpose of a holy document is to tell the truth about God in the best way possible. I mean, in that it makes sense to talk about documents having a purpose at all, in this simplistic way.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Caufman posted:

Has anyone else been moved by the papacy of Francis? In his role as a spiritual father, he's been illuminating and challenging to me. I've especially found personal and universal significance in mercy as the first attribute of God.

Yeah, it's made a huge difference to me personally. I love him quite a lot.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

System Metternich posted:

Personally I would've loved some background about the liturgy: what do we do, where, when and especially why? As an example: my old, super liberal parish in Vienna recently decided that the “Lord, I am not worthy...“ part of the Mass didn't fit in with modern times anymore and decided to change it.

Whaaaaaaaaaat

I like that bit :mad:

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

A little girl at Mass today informed the congregation, at the priest's urging, that the most important thing about Christmas is 'geezus'.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

My church is weird-lookin.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

pidan posted:

Your church is rad. But something about that architecture makes me think of Jehovah's Witnesses.

I should actually try to find out why it looks that way. It's lovely on the inside!

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

You were saying? :v:

Yes, it's the Russian Patriarch, but the hats should be the same :ssh:

The little fold-down cross is just my favourite thing. There's something about the sensible modern convenience of it being hinged along with what a gorgeously daft hat it is.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

HEY GAL posted:

i'm flabbergasted nobody came up with it before now, esp. considering what happened to the crown of hungary

I've never seen the crown of Hungary before and the sight of it made me laugh and I consider this your fault.

Jaunty!

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

If that's still even what we say!

THEY CHANGED THE WORDS

Look just because it's literally twenty years since I attended Mass doesn't mean they get to change the words.

Oh and happy new year, thread :3:

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

The Phlegmatist posted:

The HarperCollins Study Bible and the New Oxford Annotated Bible are both NRSV and are what you'd use in an academic setting; they both use the historical-critical method for the commentary. The ESV Study Bible uses...I don't know, I guess you'd call it apologetic commentary? It's meant mainly for evangelicals.

I have a HarperCollins Study Bible and I find it really useful. The scholarly notes are great and I quite like the NRSV as a translation.

Course at school we used the Jerusalem Bible, with parts translated by Tolkien. I've always been fond of it because I prefer the tetragrammaton preserved or rendered 'Yahweh' as opposed to 'The LORD'. Just a personal thing.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

'Lord, I am not worthy to receive you, but only say the word and I shall be healed.'

I'm not sure quite why I like that so much but I really do. Though 'Do this in memory of me' is a pretty close runner.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

I am Roman Catholic. More or less.

Isaiah 6:8. Also I heard the voice of the Lord, saying, Whom shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, Here I am; send me.

I also love the start of Genesis but I'm super picky about which translation because the poetry is so good.

In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth. And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

JKL I hope that you find happiness and communion with God in whatever way has value to you. But I also hope that you develop out of this difficulty a broader empathy for others in a similar boat to you.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Pellisworth posted:

edit: I'm not intending to dunk on Charismatic Christianity other than that prosperity gospel and the just-world fallacy are poo poo, heretical, and abhorrent. For me personally, interacting with Charismatic Christianity was crashing into a brick wall where I realized it was utterly not my thing.

I was working with a Baptist dude the other day and he didn't believe me that the prosperity gospel was a real thing. I had to pull up the wikipedia page and show him because he refused to entertain it as something people would really believe. (we are in the UK)

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

HEY GAIL posted:

i think it's interesting how everyone falls all over themselves to dismiss the work of women while accepting the same thing in the work of men, but i was referring to this book:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Always_Coming_Home

I love that book! I'm a sucker for constructed histories and mythologies.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Two nuns are driving down a dark country lane when suddenly Dracula leaps out of the bushes.

The driver says to the passenger, "Quick, sister, show him your cross!"

The passenger leans out and shouts, "Get out of the loving road!"

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

I like the King James for poetry and the NSRV for clarity.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

We used the Jerusalem Bible at school. It's pretty good imo. Parts of the translation were written by Tolkien! Jonah, I think.

e: It also renders the tetragrammaton as 'Yahweh' instead of 'the LORD' which I strongly prefer. Honestly it's going to be about which translation speaks to you. I love my HarperCollins Study Bible that uses the NRSV but it doesn't have anything matching the King James version of Genesis 1 for beauty.

HopperUK fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Jul 1, 2017

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Is that what allows the evil skellington to rise? The departure of Jesus?

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

That would be a great magical realism/horror story ala Süskind's Perfume, I think

The story of a man who looks for God in the hearts of his neighbours. Literally.

Holy poo poo yes, that sounds great.

love your av, too. I found a notebook in a little shop in London that had that picture on the cover and it's so nice I am nervous to write things in it. Love a bit of Dore.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Love you too friend :3:

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

SavageGentleman posted:

*edit: the same page also contains esoteric illustration, love this one:

Hahaha I love how cross the wizard chap is there. When you are QUITE done pissing about :mad:

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Thirteen Orphans posted:

In case you didn't know which dog god we were talking about : 18 Kings Temple.

Aaaaaah who is a good boy :kimchi:

In dog we trust.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

docbeard posted:

Welp, off to conquer Münster, I guess.

That's your answer to everything!

• Locked thread