Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Caufman
May 7, 2007

I'm as speechless as you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Josef bugman posted:

I am hesitant to ask but, who got you that and does it mean what I am dreading it means?

The benefactor remained anonymous, but it almost certainly means what you think it means. I have no problem with it; what happens in the dark should come out in the light, in this life if not the next.

And I've already disclosed as much of my story as I feel I need to on these dead forums. A few years before the events of Spotlight took place, I was sexually abused by an older, non-religious family member, and it was a Catholic deacon and his church lady wife who were among the first to tell me that what happened to me was abuse, and that it wasn't my fault.

Caufman
May 7, 2007
I don't think of it as a bad avatar. It may have been given to me in mockery, but I happen to like Catholicism, stylized black & white imagery, and swing sets. And it doesn't come with an angry red caption, either.

Regardless, the story behind Spotlight is not one to be ignored or avoided, even if those events were perpendicular instead of parallel to my own.

Caufman
May 7, 2007
That's nice and generous of you, thank you, but I would only want it changed if it bothered other people. SA is not a safe space, but I don't need to be unintentionally making it less safe.

edit: In a related story, after the allegations and lawsuits regarding clergy sex abuse and cover-up scandal, it became my parish's policy (and possibly the policy of the entire archdiocese) that adults have to be in groups of at least two when working with children. I think it's a pretty good policy for any adult who spends a lot of time around kids.

Caufman fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Sep 14, 2017

Caufman
May 7, 2007
I've been contemplating the language used at the memorials of Joshua's last mortal meal. To answer you, Josef, I'm inclined to agree that the meaning is more important than the sound. It's about the Word and not the words. Before there was the term 'logos', there was the Logos. Before there was the dao we can talk about, there was just the eternal dao.

Now I can't change how someone else approaches and reacts to the Mass, the memorial of that Last Supper. It's unapologetically and unchangeably a subjective experience. In the story of the original Last Supper, even then not all twelve attendants came or left with uniformed spirits. Beauty, including the beauty of the Mass, is received by each person in grace. No one had to invent the joy of beauty, and no one can really fake a substitute for it, either.

But outside of the weekly, hour-long memorial to Jesus of Nazareth, I spend most of my time in the vernacular world. Here, I do have control over how I will use language. In my actual conversations like this one, It's up to me how to emphasize which things matter and how I will engage with whoever listens and wants to respond. And on the orders I've received from Christ Jesus through the Mass and through the canonical literature, I am to recognize in the other person the same likeness and spirit of God as Jesus proclaimed. My choice of words ought to reflect this intimate, God-made bond. It calls for a new and renewed language each time.

Senju Kannon posted:

hey guys! me and 13 orphans are trying to start a religion podcast where we answer questions about religion from people, as well as from the catholic answers forum (yes this is basically a religion based my brother my brother and me and while i am a little ashamed of this i am not ashamed enough). if any of you were wanting to help us achieve this, can you send us a question at smellsandbellspodcast@gmail.com? it would be very appreciated

Thirteen Orphans posted:

No joke I would love to have you guys and any other of the posters here share their knowledge, wisdom, humor. We'll make it work.

Way cool. I have podcast/radio experience from working at my college radio station. Whatever technical questions you got about editing audio, I'm happy to answer them. Check and compress your volume levels, friends.

My spiritual mentor suggested I read Pierre Teilhard de Chardin, and I wanna be like, "Bro, why couldn't he just make a podcast?"

Caufman
May 7, 2007
Sex with alien robots is not only permissible, it's inevitable. Love conquers all; resistance is futile.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

HEY GAIL posted:

They loving fetishize physical reproduction and theology of the body is one of the reasons i left

Harsh, but fair.

When my wife and I got married, the diocese's marriage prep material exhorted us to make our marriage "open to life". I may have made a grave, sinful error, but I took that to mean a serious, meaningful, and wide-ranging attitude towards life, and not as a euphemism for heterosexual intercourse without birth control.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

zonohedron posted:

It was definitely meant to be a euphemism for that, I'm afraid; some marriage prep material is more euphemistic than others, because this still really isn't a popular teaching, not helped by the bishops at the time being at best tepid in their support. (I'd have to check my own marriage-prep booklet to see what mine said, because whatever it did say was completely unmemorable.) Whether you made a grave error by not seeing that phrase that way is for you and your confessor to discuss, though.

What a shame it would be if the instruction to be open to life was only interpreted as orders to inseminate or approximate insemination. It was not how Mary and Joseph saw being open to life.

So far, my spiritual mentor (who also lead my marriage prep) has smiled warmly at how my wife and I respond to the full range of life's dilemmas. Of course I will let you all know if any of us run afoul of the local bishop. For now, we are happy to resume our discipleship of Jesus while remaining off the bishop's radar.

Caufman
May 7, 2007
Far be it from me to make any unkind judgment about the beauty and humor of silly hats, it's just that I respond very well to the understated stylishness of the Roman hat and its lookalike cousins.

Yes, it is so.

Ex Quisite

No. That's too stylish.

Caufman
May 7, 2007
My childhood parish in America was St. Pius X with no affiliation to the Society of St. Pius X. That was very confusing growing up.

Caufman
May 7, 2007
I felt similarly about The Young Pope, but that had the benefit of being shocking but fictional. A real antipope is simply too spicy for me.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Lutha Mahtin posted:

what kind of paperwork does a priest have to fill out in the case that a person "probably" has a soul? :v:

I think if they wrote a new gospel, it'd cover all the bases.

Caufman
May 7, 2007
You guys have good podcast voices, too.

On copyright, I heard good points from both. The Holy See maintains normal relations with the Federal government of the USA. The Vatican acknowledges the right of America's government right to make and enforce laws in its territories.

But piracy is a synonym of infringement and bootlegging. It's not a synonym of theft. The biggest difference is in the loss of physical property. Capitalism is not modeled after the Kingdom of Heaven, where the libraries are even easier than Amazon Prime. Right now it controls how much human creation any person gets to access based on economic status.

Now I believe that the vast quantity of pirated material is wasteful entertainment that wounds the soul to consume regardless of copyright adherence. The first few times I played Crusader Kings II (paid for) really helped me appreciate the European middle ages, but the next 300 hours had sharply diminished value and increasing opportunity costs. But among pirated materials are important books and meaningful films. I know there are public libraries, but inconvenience is a cost applied to some people and not others under our capital-based economic systems.

Caufman fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Oct 4, 2017

Caufman
May 7, 2007
NPR's On Being

Caufman
May 7, 2007

The Phlegmatist posted:

I think it's one of those mysteries that every believer has to work out for himself or herself and then hopefully find something he or she is comfortable with.

I've read all the philosophical arguments and some of them are logically correct (and some aren't, lookin' at you Leibniz) but realistically all of them are pretty trash from a pastoral perspective. It's very difficult to keep repeating Aquinas' "God uses all evil for the greater good" like some sort of automaton when people are suffering incredibly in the present and some nebulous future good is the last thing they want to hear about.

My own personal opinion is that questions of theodicy are not particularly fruitful, and I would be better served by actually confronting evil and suffering in the present rather than just sitting around thinking about William Lane Craig's Molinist theory of trans-world damnation (which is the coolest title but unfortunately he's also wrong, he fell into the same trap as Leibniz.)

I agree with The Phlegmist's points and wish to associate myself with them.

The most useful reaction I've had to seeing suffering or feeling suffering has been to look at it logotherapeutically, as Viktor Frankl did when he was in Auschwitz. Instead of asking himself what was the reason he and his fellow prisoners had to suffer so greatly, he asked what were the reasons they endured life through any kind of suffering at all, great or small. He asked people for the reasons they would want to stay alive if they weren't prisoners, and he helped identify with them how that still applies to them in any situation.

In the sacred story of the Christian scriptures, the reason there's suffering comes from the first man and woman's disobedience, eating the fruit of the knowledge of good and evil which would kill them. No further reason is written for why the fruit exists or why it gives mortality to Eve and Adam. Since then we have lived in the realm and era of unclearness, death, and pain. But it's also the time of the building of the kingdom of heaven, anticipating its completion with the return of God among us and the eternal abolition of death and suffering.

It only seems like it might be difficult to consider one's existence in both authentic history and mythology to be valid and important. But actually we have remarkable imagination.

Caufman
May 7, 2007
I believe there is sexual morality, much of which like the unlawfulness of rape is broadly accepted. But I also have many questions in my prayers. On the dilemmas of sexual morality, I am happy to listen to as many perspectives as there are people.

But personally, I cannot think I'm being open to life if I am ever on the other side of someone who is losing hope because of what someone else condemns in them. There is no need for the human heart to be as cold and as lifeless as stone. There is already plenty of that.

Caufman
May 7, 2007
Lots of stress fractures appearing in the American Civic Religion lately...

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Mystic Mongol posted:

So how is the fetishistic veneration of the flag not just idolatry?

Me, I think the mortal threat of idolatry goes beyond an individual's unseemly relationship with a symbol. The severity of the problem is measured by how far an individual has gone acting and believing in the state as the ultimate good, especially when the state is in conflict with higher order virtues like justice.

Numerical Anxiety posted:

If you've never read the donkey show bit from Apuleius' Metamorphoses, it's a rather notable bit of awkward and grotesque comedy. And yeah, the games were awful, but - call it my cynicism - I find some relief in the fact that they were completely honest about what they were.

All else being equal, a lot of folks prefer honesty to hypocrisy.

Mystic Mongol posted:

Also sometimes female criminals would be sentenced to be (spoiler for awfulness) raped by donkeys. Not ACTUALLY, they would just train a donkey to sit on a bed a certain way, and then one day there'd be this woman tied there, donkey doesn't care and no one in the audience is close enough to see the difference.

Standard Def is the worst.

Caufman
May 7, 2007
The veteran show-goer sighs and proceeds.

Caufman
May 7, 2007
Aaah, life is sincerely so funny when there's things still being done in the dark.

Caufman
May 7, 2007
To grossly paraphrase Jesus, if you don't love kids gtfo

Caufman
May 7, 2007

The Phlegmatist posted:

Excuse me you'll actually find that this is extreme liturgical abuse and furthermore,

I respectfully apologize for abusing the Gospel. It's true. I do.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Goobish posted:

Forgive me I'm too lazy to search through the thread. It's probably been mentioned. But I'm wondering what the goons collective is on the tithe? I waiver between *yes good thing* and *no you're probably doing shady poo poo* I'm interested in hearing peoples' opinions, though.

With respect to tithing, I'm reminded of my favorite line from Deuteronomy: "When you harvest your fields, don't pick your vines clean or gather fallen fruit. Leave these for the poor and the stranger."

I take that to mean that even if you aren't a farmer, leave something of your income for people who are vulnerable. In a perfect world, an organization like a church will perfectly disburse the funds donated to those in physical and spiritual need. But every organization on Earth that I've known has earned at least some of the skepticism an outsider might have. So to me, the applicable part of the message is that you should set aside some income (and 10% may be a fair percentage for most earners) for a good, needy cause, either directly or indirectly.

Caufman
May 7, 2007
Farm fresh eggs are a gift.

If you paint them around Pascal, I've been told you've wronged Jesus.

Caufman
May 7, 2007
I'd like to raise goats rather than sheep. Goat dairy is so rich and tasty, and I'm not all that into wool.

Goat meat is the most delicious meat in the world, but it's likely I'd be vegetarian if I had to see the animals that get slaughtered for my plate.

Caufman
May 7, 2007
I think if I got a goat, it'd be a pet, and unslaughterable. What with those snootle, its ground tappers, and its wiggly listeners.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Cythereal posted:

Cows and sheep and pigs can be cute and friendly, too, but that bacon cheeseburger ain't gonna make itself. I didn't grow up on a farm, but I see no problem with raising a creature, giving it a good and healthy life, and ending it quickly and painlessly when the time comes.

I think it makes us appreciate food more, once we realize where it comes from on a gut level.

I ate Mongolian beef today, and it was delicious, thanks be to God.

I have three main reasons I would fully or partially abstain from meat. First is that everything tasty is cute. Second, their minds and mine have a common ancestor. Third, because I think I can, especially if I had fresh and abundant dairy

Caufman
May 7, 2007
This conversation always leaves me a little sad. But it doesn't and shouldn't make everyone sad. Simply put, people do not share the same perspectives of the non-material, and neither are people totally satisfied by attempts at purely material explanations. Without a great change, things are likely to continue this way.

In the meantime, I see no better option than to guard my beliefs and respect what's inside others that's invisible to me. I protect everything I value with my life, and in war time that means throwing myself in mortal peril, but in peace time that means harmonizing the best I can. No doubt that mistaken beliefs have a cost, but I witness too little beyond my scope to be liberally making those calls for other people.

Tias, I haven't witnessed your practices, and that's always going to stop me from saying too much. But the practice of praying for the dead is not unknown to me, nor is the metaphor of the dead still being with us. I believe you and I likely have a lot of important things we agree on with regards to how to treat the dead.

Fellow Christians, not many of us see value in holding onto a superstition. But I'd like to know what we've gained for the Lord in arguing about what's superstitious and what's respectful tradition. I assure you, there are brother and sister disciples-in-Jesus who consider accepted sacramental as non-sacred, bordering on idolatry. And what good that has done for them is as invisible to me as what happens at a blot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caufman
May 7, 2007
Samsara seems to be the place where people speculate on who will be a cockroach next

Caufman fucked around with this message at 12:18 on Oct 22, 2017

• Locked thread