Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bolocko
Oct 19, 2007

Mo Tzu posted:

Nothing scares me more than a church that welcomes visitors, especially ones with almost no young people (they seem desperate tbh)

How about mine, where the first day I went to a mass in about 25 years the greeter outside explained to me that he didn't think he believed "the whole thing" but he wanted the "community aspect." He was a Eucharistic minister.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bolocko
Oct 19, 2007

TIL Andy Warhol was a practicing Eastern Catholic.

https://homodoxconfessions.wordpress.com/2010/12/17/bl-andrew-warhola-fool-for-christ/

quote:

Although Andy was perceived—with some justice—as a passive observer who never imposed his beliefs on other people, he could on occasion be an effective proselytizer. To my certain knowledge, he was responsible for at least one conversion. He took considerable pride in financing a nephew’s studies for the priesthood. And as you have doubtless read on your Mass cards, he regularly helped out at a shelter serving meals to the homeless and the hungry. Trust Andy to have kept these activities very, very dark.

(...)

“The artist who held the most revealing mirror up to his generation,” as Richardson called him, was in some sense Christian because he was queer, queer because he was Christian.

Bolocko
Oct 19, 2007

HEY GAL posted:

in the opinion of several Orthodox "church Fathers" (our word for the ancient thinkers who helped frame our body of ideas), yes. in the opinion of others, no. i agree with the first group.

In case anyone is interested in reading further on this (specifically re: Maximus the Confessor): http://www.academia.edu/1474147/Living_above_Gender_Insights_from_Saint_Maximus_the_Confessor

Bolocko
Oct 19, 2007

https://youtu.be/hLrmI5IqGyU

Bolocko
Oct 19, 2007

For me also "Behold the Lamb...!"

But the Confiteor is a very close second.

I confess to Almighty God
and to you, my brothers and sisters,
that I have greatly sinned,
in my thoughts and in my words,
in what I have done and what I have failed to do,
[& striking one's breast:]
through my fault,
through my fault,
through my most grievous fault;

Therefore I ask Blessed Mary ever-Virgin,
all the angels and saints,
and you, my brothers and sisters,
to pray for me to the Lord our God.

Bolocko
Oct 19, 2007

HEY GAIL posted:

excuse me:

"father gay, so what"
excuse me:

"father gay, ess-jay, so what"

Bolocko
Oct 19, 2007

Felt you'd appreciate these from the L.A. Archdiocese Religious Education Congress taking place this weekend:

Phoneposting, so let me know if I screwed something up.

Bolocko
Oct 19, 2007

So throughout Lent I'm re-reading Job and packing in commentaries. At the moment I'm using the Moralia by St Gregory the Great, On Job by Gustavo Gutierrez, plus takes by Aquinas and St John Chrysostom. What else should I add? Any distinctly Protestant readings I should take up (I noticed something from Calvin on Amazon)? Any Jewish commentaries? Philosophers' investigations? Perspectives outside the Western theological bubble? Scholars of other traditions responding to Job?

Bolocko
Oct 19, 2007

HEY GAIL posted:

a guy who teaches at my alma mater wrote this
https://www.amazon.com/Book-Job-Commentary-Translation-Academic/dp/0788505998

it's the translation for me, i don't read any others
This looks excellent, thank you.

Bolocko
Oct 19, 2007

WerrWaaa posted:

I want the Bibliotheca set:

http://www.bibliotheca.co/

That's a very handsome set.

However, and this is purely a matter of taste, when I see that I can't help but think

"What a nice Bible. It would be a shame if anyone read it."

What's a Bible with a more medieval Catholic aesthetic?

Bolocko
Oct 19, 2007

Anyone OK with Old Church Slavonic? I found a Maximus the Confessor pendant and Professor Google is giving me difficulties with the text on the back. It reads, " МОЛИ ВОГА О МНЕ СВѦТЬІЙ О ДЧШЕ МОЕЙ " or something near enough that I messed up on text entry.

Any clue on what this says?

Bolocko
Oct 19, 2007

Lovely, thank you!

Bolocko
Oct 19, 2007

HEY GAIL posted:

(do catholics hold up their phones and film in church? because orthodox sure do)

Only the deacons

Bolocko
Oct 19, 2007

From what I've read, Copts were previously dissatisfied with Catholic baptismal technique.

Bolocko fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Apr 29, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bolocko
Oct 19, 2007

chernobyl kinsman posted:

uh sure but for the vast majority of congregants over the millennia of the latin mass' use would still not have been able to understand it, and that was sort of the point

The correct answer is that Latin language enables a less mediated entry into the Latin tradition of the church (which was reified in Vatican II) and everyone should learn Latin and understand liturgy that way, but, barring that, vernacular is good for most of the liturgy (keep those kyries), and the Latin Mass should be offered where it is desired. If parishioners don't understand what's going on they can't contemplate the mystery of the Eucharistic celebration and the whole thing just becomes so much hocus pocus.

• Locked thread