Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PantlessBadger
May 7, 2008
Took a minute to find the new thread, just popping in with three prayer requests. My (Anglican) incumbent's brother-in-law passed away yesterday. Please pray for his family. As he is away I am taking the weekday services this week. Please pray for me as I'm still settling in with this parish and don't yet know the people, let alone the residents at the nursing home where I'll be serving this Thursday. Finally the incumbent from the OCA parish I attend for vespers just announced his father fell asleep in the Lord late last night. There is possibly some concern there as the funeral is being held in an ELCIC parish and I suspect Fr Philip will be under a bit of stress with that environment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PantlessBadger
May 7, 2008

Powered Descent posted:

For where two or three shitposts are gathered in My name, I am there lurking the thread.

Just wanted to say this didn't get nearly enough love.

PantlessBadger
May 7, 2008

zonohedron posted:

I believe all of the Old Catholics are in full communion with the Anglicans; that's critical for some of the Anglicans who believe that ordination is a sacrament, because an Old Catholic bishop can potentially trace his (or her (probably)) lineage to the apostles, and thus if an Old Catholic bishop participated in your bishop's ordainer's ordainer's ordination, your bishop can too. (Some Anglicans do not believe ordination is a sacrament, so it's irrelevant to them; some do but don't believe the Old Catholic links are important; some believe both.)

This is 100% irrelevant, because all lawfully and truly ordained bishops serving in the Anglican tradition can trace their succession to the Apostles. The English church didn't just sprout up from the ground or only begin to claim apostolic succession after full communion with the Old Catholics was established in the 19th century. The Roman definition in the 19th century on the supposed defectiveness of succession among Anglicans relates to the same kind of political motivations that lead to so much fighting within the Church and the Vatican archives actually has the report (supposedly) that led to that declaration of Anglican orders being null and void in which the entire report concludes the orders are valid and succession is valid but then argues that it can be declared invalid on the basis of some aspect of the Ordinal being insufficient (I've forgotten off the top of my head).

This thread should like that, though: Anglican orders were effectively declared invalid by liturgy queens.

• Locked thread