Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

For where two or three shitposts are gathered in My name, I am there lurking the thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Gaspy Conana posted:

Guy who doesn't know what denomination he is checking in. I'm glad the new Christianity thread has a broader title because I wasn't sure if I was allowed to post in the last one.

:ssh: I'm actually ex-Catholic, now thoroughly non-believing. I just still find it an interesting topic.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

:stare: Uh... what exactly is the deal with the "capriote" one...?

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

i'm an atheist, i wasn't raised religious, i'm a generation removed from anyone who was religious on my father's side and probably like three generations removed on my mother's

i probably still think like a Protestant because that poo poo's just endemic in the American cultural consciousness

I grew up in a well-off and very white suburb that was mostly Protestant, but with a substantial minority of Catholics and a smattering of Jews. None of us kids really gave a poo poo if someone's family went to a different church. It was probably a bigger deal if they went to a different grocery store, which was like a foreign country with its different layout and weird-shaped shopping carts and store brands you'd never heard of. Any cultural differences between the various churches were overwhelmed by the all-encompassing white-bread suburbia.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

The Phlegmatist posted:

Can a member of the laity give someone a Trinitarian baptism and have it be valid even if it's illicit?

I actually looked this one up some years ago as research for a science fiction short story I was writing. (Short version of the setup: an inebriated computer technician performs an emergency baptism of an artificial intelligence, by saying the required words and dripping some holy water over its computer chips. This computer thus decides to take on Catholic doctrine as new programming instructions, and some years later it arrives in a confessional to unburden itself of a mortal sin that it calculates it may have committed.)

The result of my research was that yes, emergency baptism is at least a thing that exists, but the question of its validity would be about number sixty-three on the list of things that the Church would need to decide on in this wacko sci-fi scenario, so I just handwaved it away as being fine.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Lutha Mahtin posted:

dammit mo. i'm really sorry. i am completely truthful in that the most anger i have ever felt in my life is toward men who assault women. in a detached egalitarian way perhaps you could count my opinions toward some kind of "oh yes, sexism bad" feel-good TV special. but the reality is that there are at least a few of us out here who are absolutely livid that there is a clown of a boy running for president who is normalizing really grotesque and disgusting narratives about gender relations. I have no answers here but know that, at least in spirit, most everyone here is behind you. There is a lot of hosed up poo poo in the world but we can and will overcome it.

Over in the C-SPAM subforum, a few nights ago when the first half-dozen or so women went public with their assault allegations against Donald Trump, a regular from the Trump thread started a :goon: getting everyone donating to RAINN, an excellent charity that helps out victims of rape and abuse.

Hundreds of goons, each donating 10 bucks or 25 or 50, and even a few well-off folks doing donation matching to the tune of four figures. So far, we're raised over sixteen thousand dollars in the span of two and a half days, and still going strong. It's not just for the politics wonks; everyone's welcome to join in and throw a few more bucks on the pile. It's for an excellent cause, whatever your political opinions.

The thread is here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3794070

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Paladinus posted:

I have no idea what any of this means.

As the flurry of sexual assault allegations against Donald Trump was just beginning, Jerry Falwell, Jr. (head of Liberty University and son of the more famous Jerry Falwell) went on CNN to reaffirm his support for Trump, making the outrageous statement that he'd still support him even the assault allegations were all true. In response, 200 or so of his students drafted an open letter to him:

Falwell fired back with his own open letter:

Jerry Falwell Jr. posted:

I am proud of these few students for speaking their minds. It is a testament to the fact that Liberty University promotes the free expression of ideas unlike many major universities where political correctness prevents conservative students from speaking out. However, I am afraid the statement is false in several respects. First, the statement claims that a “majority” of Liberty faculty, staff and students are not supporting Donald Trump. It is true that Donald Trump lost in the Virginia primary at Liberty’s precinct when there were many Republican candidates still in the race but, when Mike Pence spoke to many thousands of students at Liberty yesterday, he was applauded when he spoke of the importance of supporting Donald Trump for president. In fact, he received five standing ovations during his speech. The group of students now speaking out against Trump represents a very small percentage of the Liberty student body of 15,000 resident students and 90,000 online students. The group (led by a never Trump activist, I am told) claims to have between 200 and 1200 signatures on a petition but admits that many of these signatories are not Liberty students. The student statement also falsely claims that I am “touring the country” and associating Liberty University with Trump. The fact is I traveled with the Trump campaign only one weekend in January and I always make it clear to the media that my endorsement of Trump is my personal endorsement only and that I am not speaking for Liberty University, its students, faculty or staff. I am only fulfilling my obligation as a citizen to ‘render unto Caesar the things that are Caesar’s’ by expressing my personal opinion about who I believe is best suited to lead our nation in a time of crisis. This student statement seems to ignore the teachings of Jesus not to judge others but they are young and still learning.

—Jerry Falwell, Jr.
President, Liberty University

Emphasis added. Note that Falwell has since removed that last sentence from the official version on the university website, but it was definitely there at first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

Liturgical typos best typos.

(Image found in the CSPAM pic thread of all places).

• Locked thread