Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brennanite
Feb 14, 2009

Valiantman posted:

I especially adore venerate like the thread title.

:golfclap:

my dad posted:

meh

come back with prosperity gospel

I unironically think a case could be made for the so-called "prosperity gospel" being one of the antichrists. The idea of God being a magical ATM or a genie that grants wishes is morally repugnant to me. To paraphrase Morbo, "Deity does not work that way!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brennanite
Feb 14, 2009

The Phlegmatist posted:

mods??? please don't insult my Friends.

Quakers don't believe in original sin. In fact, everyone (like, absolutely everyone regardless of whether or not you are Christian) has access to a measure of the Light inside them. It's up to them whether or not they choose to walk in the Light or to walk in the darkness and succumb to sin.

Mormons believe virtually the same thing. I wonder if they got it from the Quakers. I used to have a Religious Studies buddy who specialized in Mormonism and Mormon practice (though not theology) fits very nicely with your radical Protestantism in Colonial America.

Obligatory nativist, anti-Catholic political cartoon from 1926 (and a Klansman!):

Edit: Why isn't the image showing up?

Brennanite
Feb 14, 2009

The Phlegmatist posted:

The restorationist movement was a product of the second Great Awakening; the movement was led by Alexander Campbell in the north and Barton Stone in the south, both of whom kinda came to the same conclusions (restoring the church to AD 33 based solely on the Bible) and they linked up later. About a hundred years since that whole mess started, Oneness Pentecostals kinda grabbed a whole bunch of ideas and theology from the Campbellites, leading them to reject the Trinity 'cause it's difficult to prove its existence from scripture alone and they were returning to the Bible as the sole source of authority.

The one big tell about restoration theology is if a Protestant denomination thinks that a believer's baptism by immersion is absolutely necessary for salvation. That was Campbell's view. Church of Christ, Disciples of Christ, $city_name_here Christian Churches, Mormons and Oneness Pentecostals all believe that. So yeah they're all related theologically if not in history.

After your original post, I went and read up on the Campellites. Very interesting. The second Great Awakening (and the first) are really enjoyable to read about. Lots of the religious equivalent of convergent evolution going on.

Hey, pidan, what's your interest in Eastern religions based in? Are you a practitioner? Philosophy student? You can PM me if you think it's too much of a derail.

Brennanite
Feb 14, 2009
Anyone here going to the AAR meeting this year?

Brennanite
Feb 14, 2009

Moscow Mule posted:

American Academy of Religion? God I wish.

That was the time in the Religion department when most of the professors would be gone and we didn't have class. :getin:

Yeah, it's a monster of a conference--three full days of meetings, plus half days on either side depending on your group. It's also just before Thanksgiving break, so there will be professors gone a full week before Thanksgiving. I'm not one of them, but still. The program is here, for those interested. Vatican II has its own group!

https://papers.aarweb.org/AAR_Sessions.pdf

• Locked thread