Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

HEY GAL posted:

funny how that works out :v:

i was raised catholic and when i converted to something else i was all "but there's got to be ritual, ritual is essential. and saints."

Even though I've more or less left the Southern Baptist church I grew up in, I still strongly believe in the core ideas and principles of Baptist belief and practice. I just can't tolerate how deeply the Southern Baptist Convention has become tied up in right-wing American politics. Fully accepting (i.e. into positions of leadership in the church) women has become something of an issue for me, as has welcoming LGBT people in the church.

Fortunately I'm a Protestant so I haven't had any trouble finding churches of other denominations that are "Eh, close enough, I don't really care about the fine details anyhow." :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

HEY GAL posted:

i was not kidding when i said you and Man Whore might enjoy having a study group / prayer group over PMs or something. you know--at least there's two of you :v:

I'm getting ready to move again in a couple of weeks for a new job, so it will be time to start church shopping all over again.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Pellisworth posted:

When new ideas enter a denomination's thought-stream, the chuch begins to correct itself. Let me use this example: Imagine four congregations on the edge of a cliff. Say a direct copy of the congregation nearest the cliff is sent to the back of the line and takes the place of the first congregation. The formerly first one becomes the second, the second becomes the third, and the fourth schisms off the cliff.

Protestantism works the same way.

:bisonyes:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Well, I'm officially moving into a new city at the end of the week to start my new job. Time to start church shopping once again.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Thank you. :) Everything's set up and scheduled for the move, so if all goes well I'll be starting work at my new job on Monday. Besides the general anxiety and stress about the move and starting a new job (oh please God don't let me screw up, mainly), it will be time to hopefully find a church I'm happy with. Google maps has turned up a bunch of various denominations, so it looks like I won't be spoiled for choice. Maybe one of them will even have people my own age.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

shame on an IGA posted:

I'm in the deep south and want to show explicit dismembership from the community

I'm in the deep south and have a very different idea of Christianity from many people in the deep south.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

:techno::hf::catholic:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Just spent about ten minutes broken down and praying. :( I just don't understand how this could have happened. The next four to eight years are going to be awful, plus the long-lasting damage the GOP-controlled supreme court and congress will do. And the inevitable wars Trump will get us into, which have a real risk of going nuclear.

I just don't understand.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
It was good I was busy at my new job all day, didn't have time to think about this and get depressed.

As it is, congrats on the engagement Heigal!

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Caufman posted:

I also like a gathering of two or three in the name of Jesus, even on the internet.

Thinking about Christianity and Donald Trump, I remember how his answer early in the campaign about the little wine and little cracker which makes him feel cleansed. His unreflective and impenitent personality before God disqualified him from my vote, but even more broadly, it exposes a vigorless Christianity in America.

Maybe I'm crazy to call out a modern Christianity of the little wine and cracker. It looks weak, superficial, and unlikely to bring anyone to salvation. But I would also like to know if I'm missing something from the Holy Spirit that Donald Trump and his supporters get.

You're not. Trump cares about nothing except himself, a clinical narcissist of the first order.

Hillary, on the other hand, is a devout Methodist.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Lutha Mahtin posted:

as with much in religion, it is not primarily the thing itself which has significance, rather it is the meaning behind the gesture. and i think you are right to question what the heck is going on in a country where its citizens overwhelmingly claim to be christian, yet millions and millions of these people did not react in laughter to the ham-handed religious appeals made by an orange man

The only people here I know who voted Trump out of anything pertaining to religious reasons said they don't like Trump himself but voted GOP due to the Supreme Court - they believed they had an obligation to vote for the party that opposes abortion, homosexuality, transgenderism, etc. There was a nice old lady at church who said she adored Hillary and thought she'd be a much better president, but she had to vote against Hillary because a Hillary presidency would mean expanded LGBT and abortion support.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Valiantman posted:

Thanks for this post. I was wondering why "love the sinner, hate the sin" would be bad since it seems to be a very good guideline. In fact I often teach teens about love and morals a bit like that but in a different language obviously, so we don't have the attitude as a common phrase. I suspected there's something I don't understand from behind the cultural/language barrier.

People suck.

In America, "love the sinner, hate the sin" typically translates to "bigotry, but we say it's for your own good," especially when it comes to LGBT issues and abortion.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
For those unfamiliar with the Protestant take on the saints and Mary, the general Protestant line is that there are only two levels of existence: Man and God. All humans - including Mary - are equal before God. They do not hear prayers, intercede with God, and miracles are God's will and not the mark of a saint or any such thing.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

The Phlegmatist posted:

Like the Trinity?

That's one of the weirdest features about Protestantism. The Trinity is really difficult thing to back up when you're working with a solely Biblical theology. Calvinists, at least, appeal to tradition: The Nicene Creed, St. Augustine, and certain parts of the ecumenical councils (including the Athanasian Creed and Chalcedonian Creed, most parts of the Canons of the Council of Orange) up until Pope Gregory the Great, and then after that apparently the Catholic Church fell into apostasy until Luther and Calvin rescued it. Then modern Calvinists refer to documents like the Westminster Confession of Faith, the Heidelberg Catechism, the London Baptist Confession of Faith (for the Calvinist Baptists), etc. as essentially having the Reformed equivalent of magisterial authority. The conservative Reformed denominations, at least, consider them inviolable.

Then we get into regulative/normative principles of worship that has caused some pretty deep divisions in Reformed circles since the 17th century. Should we worship according only to what is in scripture, doing nothing in worship that is not in the Biblical pattern? Or should we be able to do anything in worship that is not directly contraindicated in scripture? When you grow up in a church that doesn't celebrate Christmas because celebration of Christmas is not in the Bible, you start to see how far down the Protestant rabbit hole goes. Sola scriptura is, unfortunately, kind of a mess.

The Baptist spin on the Trinity is that the Trinity as such isn't really talked about, no, but all three aspects are each individually talked about a great deal and spoken of a couple of times by Jesus as a whole.

We Protestants go down new and interesting rabbit holes we find looking through the Bible, rather than feeling the need to invent new holes like the idea of saints. :v:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Rodrigo Diaz posted:

Ty for phrasing this better than I could.

Fair enough. :/

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Pellisworth posted:

this thread is at its best when theology discussion merges with tabletop games

Yahweh
Power: All
Title: God
Alignment: LG
Worshipers: Any Alignment
Clerics: Any Alignment
Symbol: Cross
Domains: Air, Animal, Destiny, Destruction, Earth, Fire, Healing, Knowledge, Law, Plant, Protection, Storm, Strength, Sun, Time, Water
Portfolio: Creation, good, law, the universe
Favored weapon: Turning the other cheek (Unarmed Strike)

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Mo Tzu posted:

how much of that did you take from ilmater

Only things they have in common are LG alignment and Unarmed Strike as favored weapon. I'd look more to Lathander for comparisons, or the Silver Flame if you have good taste in campaign settings.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Personally, I see the intellectual appeal of atheism. I generally agree with the sentiment that extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence, and what I and many people see as extraordinary evidence of God is not persuasive to many people.

For me personally, though, religion is such an important part of my life that I can't help but see an atheist view of the universe as innately bleak and pointless, something that does not help my recurring struggles with depression. I choose to believe in God partially because atheism is too depressing for me to seriously contemplate.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Tias posted:

I may be on thin ice here since I'm not an academic, but my dictionary says empirical means "verifiable by observation or experience rather than theory or pure logic.". Observation, perhaps, but it is definitely my experience that God exists and has miraculously healed me from self-destructive behaviour I thought I was going to have for life. (I don't know if you were around for my introduction in the last thread, but I found faith through the auspices of the 12-step program in AA)

The alternative is me not having faith, which for me probably would have meant I would be dead today. Also, I do in general consider a world without God to be a sad place, because there would be no faith, that's mostly what there is to it. I will be happy to elaborate if you need it.

I agree with this view, but not everyone agrees with what you and I and others consider evidence of God's existence.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Deteriorata posted:

Essentially, the evidence for the existence of God tends to be almost entirely personal, internal, and non-reproducible. It's enough to convince an individual, but not amenable to controlled studies.

Personally, I regard the wonder of the universe and all that science has learned and observed, and the knowledge that it's all barely scratched the surface, as compelling evidence of God. I do not find the arguments that there was no architect, no artist behind it all to be compelling ones.

I see science as the greatest evidence there is of God's existence.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

thechosenone posted:

Wait what? poo poo that's pretty cool. I's it alright if I ask stupid questions like what saint or apostle would be most likely to be able to go super Saiyan? I just like connecting things to other things, I'm the kind of person who would love to hear metaphors extended well beyond their welcome.

The Triad is an ersatz version of the Holy Trinity. You've got Tyr (God), Torm (Jesus), and Ilmater (the Holy Spirit).

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

pidan posted:

But if there is no Satan, who rules in hell?

I'm just saying, the devil seems really important to some Christians. So the whole idea that he was made up by Dante never quite say right with me. I mean, seeing the devil as a personification of "things that move you away from God" suits me fine, but many people, including some people quite high up in the religious hierarchy, seen to think he's literally some intelligent being plotting for each human's downfall.

So whether or not he's in the bible, he's definitely a part of some Christians' belief system by now.

He is, but popular notions of the devil and hell really do go back to Dante and Milton. The Bible barely mentions hell at all.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Never trust anybody whose favorite books of the Bible are Revelation and Daniel.

Daniel is a fine book, the story of Daniel and the lion's den was one of my favorites as a kid. There's just... really weird parts of the book, too.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

my dad posted:

You are vastly underestimating human children.

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented or determined fool.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
One day at church camp I was helping load luggage into the church van to go home and dropped a very heavy box on my toes. I was forced to stay completely silent the entire 14 hour drive home and the pastor talked to my parents because I took the Lord's name in vain loudly and repeatedly among other words I wasn't supposed to know or use.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I kinda envy y'all for once. Protestantism in the American South has a very strong impulse towards banning alcohol completely.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

HEY GAL posted:

different Protestant. These are Calvinists, not Baptists or Methodists.

I know, thus I said Protestantism in the American South, which mostly means the SBC and similar-minded groups.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

HEY GAL posted:

Do you know when and why Baptists became strongly anti-alcohol?

It grew out of the temperance movements of the nineteenth century, which were in large part a backlash against the social upheaval and perceived social and moral decay that accompanied the Industrial Revolution and urbanization, and then amplified by the Second Great Awakening and the popular message of striving for holiness and purity in your everyday life. Ready access to alcohol was blamed for not just drunkenness but all manner of social problems, and an outright prohibition movement arose from the Methodists, Presbyterians, Baptists, and American Catholics (believe it or not, one of the biggest early voices in the religious prohibitionism movement was an Irish Catholic priest) - the Lutherans and Anglicans didn't care for it much.

The Southern Baptist Convention was a vocal supporter of the Prohibition Amendment, and continues to advocate abstaining from alcohol today, though it is one of only a few large religious organizations that really make a point of it. The Southern Baptist view as a general rule today is that alcohol is not inherently sinful or inimical to being a Christian, but that alcohol impairs one's judgment and generally makes it easier to sin - to say nothing of actual alcoholism and the effects it can have on the self and the community, and thus is best avoided entirely by good Christians.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

HEY GAL posted:

this was the case in the period i study as well

A lot of the thinking behind the original religious prohibitionism movement remains in the American South today, because the conditions didn't change all that much. The American South is still one of the most impoverished parts of the industrialized, Western world, and poverty throughout history tends to mean alcohol and drugs are a problem. This is a particularly big deal in African-American communities, the South is the demographic heartland of African-Americans in the United States, and alcoholism is still a severe problem in many black communities. Things aren't much different in poor white communities, and so there's still a religious pushback against alcohol in many parts of the South due to the still ongoing problems from rampant alcohol abuse.

That's something I think is important to remember when talking about Southern Baptist views on social issues, and to a certain extent Protestantism in the American South in general: the American South is very rural and very poor, and the SBC is pretty representative of the religions present for those communities. There are areas here and there in the South that are different, like Atlanta and New Orleans and Miami and whatnot, but the bulk of the SBC's membership and leadership come from and are concerned with the the rest of the region.

Cythereal fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Dec 23, 2016

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Merry Christmas, folks.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I didn't go to a Christmas Eve service because I've been fighting a really bad cold that's been going around at work. :( Merry Christmas, all.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Wait, Precious Blood? Is this another transubstantiation thing?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

HEY GAL posted:

Yes, God's blood is precious because it's, you know, God's

What need does God have of blood?

Still, thanks for clarifying. Never heard that specific term before.

Cythereal fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Dec 27, 2016

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

HEY GAL posted:

i assume jesus's body worked like anyone else's, so to circulate oxygen throughout his body

It was a Star Trek V joke. :v:

Personally, I agree with the SBC that Jesus was speaking symbolically of the wine being his blood.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Mo Tzu posted:

yeah i think we gathered that since you're not catholic, orthodox, or high church anglican

You never know. I've been to a Baptist (not Southern Baptist, just Baptist) church that believed in transubstantiation. In theory, the SBC also doesn't officially dictate what every member church believes or requires member churches to believe in anything beyond Protestant 101.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

HEY GAL posted:

is there any other kind, really? :agesilaus:

Anglicans, for one. :v: Diet Catholic. Same great taste, less homophobia and misogyny.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Mo Tzu posted:

glass houses, SBC

I personally don't identify with the SBC much anymore. My theology is still heavily in line, but I can't stomach their misogyny, homophobia, and entanglement in right-wing American politics.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Sola Scriptura for the Baptists.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Meridian posted:

That is one part of Catholicism that really interests me. Seems to be a lot of intercessory prayer and reverence for Mary in general. Much more so than I have been exposed to previously.

Thirteen Orphans posted:

Something you might find interesting, then: In Catholic Marian theology, Mary has a special place in devotion to Saints. God is afforded worship, known as latria. Only God is worthy of worship. The devotion which is given to the saints is called dulia. The Virgin Mary is the sole recipient of the highest form of devotion to a saint known as hyperdulia. So theologically she is afforded a higher place than the other saints, but in no way is part of the worship due to God alone.

*Baptist screaming intensifies*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Mo Tzu posted:

Nice contribution to the discussion

Fair enough, should have taken the hint after last time.

• Locked thread