Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

WerrWaaa posted:

Citation please, I can't find it.

Think it was in the same passage where he says it's sinful for women to enter church with their head uncovered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I respect Paul as a teacher and a Godly man, and also take some comfort in the knowledge that being an extremely goony dude who was probably a pain in the rear end to be around is not incompatible with being Godly.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Please keep Florida in your prayers, goons. :( It's still unclear where exactly Irma is going to go, but it's now a category 5 and barreling straight for us. I'm strongly considering evacuating.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

HEY GAIL posted:

They only retire the names of the biggest ones: Andrew, Katrina. They will probably retire Harvey.

Unless Irma changes dramatically, it will probably also be retired. I've lived through plenty of hurricanes before, but not a category 5 since Andrew and one of Irma's possible paths has me square in the barrel. Trying very hard to not panic.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Thirteen Orphans posted:

Hey, real talk if you can afford to skip town please do it, there are well founded speculations that this storm could be a Cat 5 like there's never been a Cat 5, and I know I speak for all of us when I say we want you to be safe.

I am. I'm leaving for the Gulf coast tomorrow anyhow for a job interview near where my parents live, and at this rate I'll be taking a bunch of extra clothes, books, and my computer with me.

And yeah, Irma's up to 185 mph winds. If the hurricane categories went beyond 5, then going by progression of wind speeds, Irma would be a category 6.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Well. It's going to depend on where Irma ends up hitting. If it hits the Gulf coast, I'll be staying put and my family from the Gulf will be staying with me.

Hard to tell at the moment. Hurricanes are infamously hard to predict.

Thanks for the well wishes, folks. :)

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Current tracks have it pulling further and further east, though hurricanes being hurricanes it's still to early to say for sure.

If I disappear for a while from this thread, I've evacuated.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
If I have power Sunday morning, I'll probably just find a livestream of a service to watch with my family.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

The Phlegmatist posted:

My parish cancelled Mass on Sunday and the bishop dispensed us from the obligation.

The notice ended with "may God help us all" which is definitely not ominous.

"May God help us all" sounds about right. Plus Katia, the Mexico earthquake, the solar flare...

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Caufman posted:

It's good to see you checking in still. I look forward to the time we may all shitpost in freedom from all anxiety.

I'm not celebrating yet, Irma's shifted course directly towards where I evacuated to. :v:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Prayers appear to be working, Irma's hitting Florida but it's nowhere near as bad as we'd feared. Looking like I may lose power but not much else.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Thank y'all for the well wishes, I'm fine and so are my parents and the house, we just lost power and internet for a while.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Caufman posted:

Eyy, all things considered, that's not half bad. What have you been up off the grid?

Writing, reading a book, and playing cards with my family. And, yesterday morning, picking up a lot of storm debris out of the yard and off the roof. I'll probably head back to my apartment in a day or two.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Pellisworth posted:

Protestants are big on original sin and total depravity but that doesn't necessarily lead to a fatalistic or negative view towards life and humanity. Luther's (in)famous "sin boldly" is basically addressing that. Yeah we're all inherently sinful and can never do anything to merit God's grace, but don't get caught up in mental torment over your own sinfulness. Sinners gonna sin, accept that and "sin boldly" knowing that Christ has atoned for you and God's grace is freely offered.

Depends on which Protestants you talk to. :v:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
https://twitter.com/Nikki_Levy/status/907813876577832960/photo/1
https://twitter.com/CelesteKatzNYC/status/907816727093923841

Well there's something you don't see every day, especially not in the US.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
It's me. I'm the Protestant who took latin in high school and college and actually followed the Latin mass reasonably well the one time I visited a Catholic church that used latin. :v:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

genola posted:

Can robots have souls and if so, can they be saved?

No idea, but if you subscribe to the notion of an age of innocence regarding human children, presumably something similar would apply to robots in terms of mental development and capacity.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

SavageGentleman posted:

The (otherwise mediocre) episodic Korean film "Doomsday book" features a robot that has reached enlightenment:

Without hormones and our monkey brain parts holding it back, it almost immediately recognized the Four Noble Truths and started meditating incessantly.

Overwatch has a sentient AI as the Dalai Lama.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Pershing posted:

Well, it contradicts what my profession (therapy) teaches on human sexuality. Further it seems like what the church is saying to gays is 'take a perpetual vow of celibacy'. That is an incredibly high bar...so high that it seems cruel.

To be fair, the Catholic church's stance seems to be that you should be celibate in general unless you're specifically trying to make a baby with your spouse.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Thirteen Orphans posted:

You've probably heard it a thousand times, but the rule is "open to procreation" not "for the purpose of procreation." Big deal for us, a distinction without a difference for others.

I dunno. I've read the Bible. I would not rule having sex with a robot as not being open to procreation. :v:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I figure if anyone can explain this, it's y'all.

https://twitter.com/MalkyDungeon/status/911282192504049665

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
It's never a good sign when there's 50+ posts in this thread overnight.

For my part as this thread's resident Southern Baptist by theology, I hew to "Love thy neighbor as thyself." Jesus said it's not our place to judge and deem someone damned or saved, so I believe that God is a god of mercy, love, and kindness.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Ceciltron posted:

I've known people who raise animals and it actually never bothers them, goats are fun and delicious!

I have relatives who keep rabbits in the suburbs for meat. Much less work than goats, much less noise than chickens, lots of rabbit fur for knicknacks and whatnot, and rabbit is delicious.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

WerrWaaa posted:

But so cute. Like goats and chickens. :(

Cows and sheep and pigs can be cute and friendly, too, but that bacon cheeseburger ain't gonna make itself. I didn't grow up on a farm, but I see no problem with raising a creature, giving it a good and healthy life, and ending it quickly and painlessly when the time comes.

I think it makes us appreciate food more, once we realize where it comes from on a gut level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Slimy Hog posted:

My wife is from the Fiji islands and one time her grandpa pointed out to the goats and told her to choose her favorite. Of course, she chose the cutest one, not thinking any more of it because she was a little kid.

They had goat curry that night.

Yup. My cousin who grew up on a farm was partially in charge of the chickens. When she was six, her parents made her choose which chicken would be served with dumplings that night.

To her credit she picked the jackass rooster no one was sad to see go, to hear her family tell it.

• Locked thread