Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

I was in Berlin recently and visited the German Historical Museum there, and they had these two :krad: exhibits:

That's the commander's staff of Cardinal Ascanio Maria Sforza (1455-1505); it doubled as a mace and even had a stiletto hidden in it :black101: Sforza used it when he supported his brother, the duke of Milan, at his attempt to free Milan from French occupation. I don't think that he ever actually bashed any heads in with it, though.

And this is a woodcut print from 1520 that was spread as part of a pamphlet condemning indulgences. The devil sits on a letter of indulgence while grasping a money chest and a bishop's crozier in his hands; in his mouth you can see clergymen sitting around a table, while on his head people are walking into purgatory

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

Pellisworth posted:

do robots have original sin

just saying :haw:

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

Sorry to all Presbyterians, Independants, Quakers &c., but I simply couldn't not post this :v:

https://twitter.com/manymanyplies/status/911939945966784512

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

Tias posted:

An ammonite sounds like some kind of 40K gun-monk, please confirm this is the case

More a warp monster than a gun-monk, and also they actually existed :cthulhu:

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

HEY GAIL posted:

:frogsiren: LET'S GET EARLY MODERN

yesssssss source pls

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

chernobyl kinsman posted:

i didnt go to mass today and i feel bad about it

I attended a wedding mass yesterday afternoon (the happy couple were 78 and 76, respectively :3:) and when I asked the priest afterwards if that counted as an evening mass and would fulfil my sunday obligation he was like "yeah sure, i guess" so I didn't go either, but don't feel (too) bad about it

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

StashAugustine posted:

i remember a lot of old european cathedrals have a bunch of side chapels dedicated to various big shots who donated money on the condition people would say mass for them, is that a thing with orthodox churches?

The baroque loving ruled in this regard (as it did in all others tbqh), St Stephen's cathedral in Vienna for example had 77 altars by the late 18th century iirc on which 150-200 masses were said. Per day

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

My friends, I bear terrible news

https://twitter.com/giorgio_karam/status/914160538569072640

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

“When I'm jerking off I'm actually giving God a hand job“ is one of the weirder takes I've read

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

Slimy Hog posted:

Can we go back to talking about funny hats?

Or posting pictures of monks and animals?

I can offer only one of the three, but I hope it's interesting nonetheless: the semantron is a percussion instrument that's used in many Orthodox monasteries as a call for prayer or during processions. Here's a video of a Romanian monk who plays a pretty mean semantron

Also this is more directed at Pellisworth, but I just finished reading this America piece about Black Elk, a Lakota medicine man who went on to become a Catholic teacher and missionary. The local diocese hopes to open up a canonisation process for him. What's your take on the issues raised by some in this regard that this would constitute an appropriation of Lakota culture by the Church? The article also mentions that the Diocese of Rapid City "uses smudging, the Native practice of burning sage or cedar for purification, and the Lakota Four Direction Song at the Chrism Mass". Could you elaborate a bit more on these practices, they sound fascinating? And do the Episcopalians do that as well? :)

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

That was a wonderful writeup, thanks a lot Pellisworth!

Re: monks and animals, how's this?

https://twitter.com/giorgio_karam/status/916874197397397504

https://twitter.com/erlosungen/status/917051329482289153

And finally re: beards, John Calvin admittedly had a pretty badass one

https://twitter.com/Joanne_Paul_/status/915252940344107009

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

:3:

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

Nah he just took a sabbatical for unannounced reasons afaik

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

Tias posted:

So hallow's eve is coming up, do you liturgigoons do anything cool for that?

We're setting up the harvest blót, appeasing the hungry dead who have an easier time popping in at this time so they don't plague the year to come :black101:

I'll be singing Bach's Die Himmel erzählen die Ehre Gottes together with the Lutheran parish choir; this is our present to the Protestant congregation here for the 500 year anniversary of the Reformation (a day which has been declared a national holiday, but only this year!) :cool:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

HEY GAIL posted:

awwwww

are you hype for the 400 year anniversary of the war next year
i'm hype

Hell yeah I'm hype

Maybe I'll even make it to Prague who knows

e: assuming that Prague will be reenacting the defenestration or something ofc, if not then it's battle of the white mountain p. ii in 2020 i guess

System Metternich fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Oct 21, 2017

• Locked thread