Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

The magical wish-granting holy ATM aspect of the prosperity gospel is a little icky, but my real problem with it are the lovely corollaries: That the rich are rich because they're just more virtuous and Better Than You; and that it's purely 100% the fault of the poor that they're poor- they're such woeful, wretched sinners that God finds them undeserving of having their wishes for riches granted.

The divine genie stuff would just be a little bit weird if that were all it was, but add in a healthy dose of "Protestant Work Ethic", bootstraps, and lovely social Darwinism and it gets pretty ugly.

E:f;b, by a much better post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Bel_Canto posted:

Today the pope, in keeping with his pattern on queer issues, doesn't budge on doctrine but really would like pastors to stop treating trans people and gays like poo poo.. Notable mainly for a pope publicly and unhesitatingly giving a particular trans man the basic dignity of being spoken of as a man, over which, as expected, the internet is already losing its poo poo.

Let me guess, half the internet is going "OH WOW HE DOESN'T HATE TRANS* PEOPLE, BEST POPE EVER!" and the other half is going "OH WOW, HE DOESN'T HATE TRANS* PEOPLE, WORST POPE EVER!"?

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

There's a whole lot of reasons for why any given person voted the way they did. And while sure, some of the people who voted for Trump really do hold despicable views and may indeed have despicable intentions, that's not why the other 58.5 million people who voted for him voted that way. They're all people too, and a significant portion of them are also trying, desperately, to make themselves heard, not out of some mustache-twirling hatred for minorities, but because their livelihoods are vanishing and their towns are dying and they feel like they have no future and that the establishment politicians give not one single gently caress.

I had a much longer post written at one point, but it was a lot of dumb :words: to arrive at the same conclusion- dehumanizing the political opposition isn't how things get better, it's how things get worse. We're all in this together, after all.

The Phlegmatist posted:

Evangelicals love the Jews. Gotta rebuild the Temple to immanentize the eschaton, don'tcha know.

Seems like they only love the Jews as long as they're in Israel and shooting Muslims. It's super hosed up and all kinds of icky.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Some are more equally bad than others.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Atheism as 'lack of any particular religious belief' is a very different beast from atheism as 'anti-theism', the rejection of any sort of religious or metaphysical thinking as being ipso facto bad and wrong.

The former sort is the sort that I would argue doesn't necessarily need 'an argument' as it is simply the absence of any noteworthy feelings of faith. The latter sort is almost its own religion and invites a great deal more argument, I think.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Summer vacation in the US is usually somewhere around 8 to 12 weeks long, yeah. Typically with 2-3 weeks off around Christmas and a week off in the spring. Where I went to school we also had a week off in February intended to shrink to accommodate snow days, but that went away before I finished High School.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

poo poo, translation my rear end. "Consubstantial" is barely English.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

pidan posted:

In this post, when I say conservative / liberal I mean politically and socially, unless otherwise noted.

I think the reasons conservative churches get more people than liberal ones are pretty obvious. In conservative circles, being religious (specifically Christian) is still seen as a positive thing, so most people who are conservative are also religious. And when you're conservative and religious, it only makes sense to go to a conservative church. By contrast, many liberals have a pretty negative view of Christianity. So more liberals are non-religious, and even those who aren't tend towards "spiritual but not religious" type outlooks.

And even among the 'spiritual but not religious' types, I suspect the interest in actually attending church is driven down by the assumption that ALL churches are as conservative, or that most of them are, or that liberal ones are too hard to find, or that their hip socially-conscious friends would look down on them if they did go, or that by going even to a liberal church they'd somehow be supporting the conservative ones, or.. whatever. There's a lot of potential reasons but the end result is the same.

quote:

Another aspect that is relevant is that church attendance is sinking in general. People used to go to church as a matter of course, and most people would just pick the one closest to their home, or the one their family and friends go to. But nowadays, the casual church goers just don't go any more. So among the younger people who do go to church, the proportion of people who really care about it has shot through the roof. And people who really care about church are just more attracted to traditional forms and seriousness over modernity and entertainment.
It makes sense in a way -- church as a bit of singing and meeting your friends on Sunday morning is not that attractive, you could meet your friends a million other ways, if the people in the area are even your friends to begin with. But if you want the incense and god-fearing atmosphere, there are relatively few alternatives.

And this is the part where the tendency for liturgical liberalism and social/political liberalism to go hand in hand gets infuriating. gently caress me, I just want some nice oppression-free bells & smells.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

TBH I'm more interested in your opinion on Thrawn than whatever the gently caress has been going on on this page so far.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Shbobdb posted:

Looking at the artwork in your gangtag, I can tell you understand how "nasty" women can be. Perhaps the "nastiest woman" is the Japanese honeybee. These bad-rear end chicas will surround a wasp and wiggle and fly until the temperature is too hot for the wasp to live. Bees die but the wasp threat is neutralized.

Small, disposable minds are more concerned with being a Japanese honeybee than with actually engaging in good faith and having a discussion.

That's my opinion on Thrawn and the thread.

Personally I think Thrawn is bad and his gimmick is bad.

mlyp

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Nah, recoil on AR-likes is pretty tame. Though, uh.. he'll probably have better luck if he grips the pistol grip and the foregrip just forward of the magazine well, instead of half-assedly fondling the buttstock and the mag well.

:tfrxmas:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Well, the persecution and killing of perfidious heathen Others is a core part of the rites, you can't just leave that out.

• Locked thread