Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
what a bunch of nerds, releasing a statement in latin and english without a translation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

chernobyl kinsman posted:

it only counts if its in latin, the language spoken by jesus himself

and japanese since he did go to japan

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
the only podcast i listen to is my brother my brother and me and i listen to it on my way to work, on my way home, and sometimes while i shower but usually i listen to music since it's easier to hear over running water and i can time my shower better

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
role of God in buddhism; none

whenever i get on catholic answers looking for funny questions and see the dominicans talk about how buddhism is incompatible with catholicism i'm like "harold they're different religions"

course i have very few issues with syncretism so even when they talk about the dreaded topic i'm like "the issue with syncretism is not the watering down or betraying of catholicism but the imperialist desire to find meaning from a colonized culture by the colonizer"

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
that wasn't meant to be explanatory it was meant to be an ethical question that anyone who engages in syncretism needs to take into account and not stick into a three page epilogue that gladhands the issue PAUL KNITTER

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
my man francis taking a hard stance against 80s style radical feminism

i can understand how contemporary activists could miss that, they were expecting the church to be dialoguing with people who haven't already been discredited or improved on in the past three decades. nearly four for some radfem thinkers.

it reminds me of my jesuit professor who said the greatest problem the church in the 21st century had to contend with was the issue of women, and i was like "oh my god the church is stuck in the sixties" except now apparently frank read, let's say janice raymond since he also hates trans women and i'm blanking on actually important radical feminist theorists, and so has caught up to the 80s. but no one knows because we're already beyond the transsexual empire. i mean, we're not since transition related healthcare still isn't covered by medicare or medicaid and probably won't for at least four years, but you see what i'm saying raymond only plays to cathy brennans these days so we're not paying much attention to her as a serious person worth debating

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Worthleast posted:

Great podcast Thirteen and Senju. I think we had the aliens discussion in one of these threads.

I disagree with Thirteen about the question of pirated DVDs. Theft is an injustice and requires restitution, and knowingly buying stolen goods constitutes theft as well. But theft admits of parvity of matter. If I steal a cookie, it is wrong, but not as wrong as stealing a car. Generally the line between grave matter and light matter has been drawn according to the value of a day's wages. Now, at least in the US, a DVD has less value than a day's wages, so it would be light matter and venial sin.

It is! Just look at the architecture and music! Chesterton said that if the Church ever gets married to an age she would be a widow in the next.

someone tell constantine

The Phlegmatist posted:

I've noticed this even from members of the clergy who are amenable to the progressive stance on LGBT issues (like the St Gallens Group.) Everyone seems stuck in the 80s; which, I guess would make sense since the bishops and cardinals themselves are about in their 80s :P But we're not really going to have constructive dialogue in the Church on LGBT issues while this generation is still in power. I wouldn't expect the average millenial to know about TERFers or second wave feminism or whatever much less a 70 year old bishop.

e: also re: piracy I don't think it's a mortal sin. While theft is a grave matter I would hesitate to call piracy theft since you are not depriving anyone of access to that resource and that historically has been the defining line of what constitutes theft in moral theology.

don't count out the tumblr/twitter generation, people are getting woke

also becoming nazis. but woke, too

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

also it is sincerely okay if not every religious institution adheres to progressive ideas about sexuality

people are dying because of christianity's teachings on sexuality so no, it is not okay

unless you think lynched gays in africa, the ukraine, and pretty much everywhere people were forced at gunpoint to convert is simply an agree to disagree thing, which is as morally repugnant as the belief that murdering lgbt people is god's will

you cannot convince me that people who say even the most gladhanding "god doesn't like men to have sex with men" position doesn't have blood on its hands

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

i also think that every religion should teach only my personal beliefs

i think religions shouldn't support murdering people but scoreboard says i'm not in great company historically speaking

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

the Church doesn't support murdering anyone, that's why it opposes abortion ;)

but opposes ENDA, which would allow lgbt people to have workplace anti discrimination laws put in place. considering the fact that the majority of lgbt people are impoverished (also people of color) and considering trans women in particular have difficulty accessing documentation that could help prevent them from being outed during the job search process, it's almost like the church is implicitly condoning the economic subjugation of american lgbt people.

not to mention their rhetoric which supports conversion therapy, an outdated and thoroughly debunked therapy that essentially tortures gay and trans children until they most likely kill themselves

it's almost like there's structures in society that perpetuate violence upon vulnerable people and that the church condones these structures either through silence or support. if only there were people, preferably people of color, who outlined systematically these issues and addressed them to the church in some kind of theology of liberation

StashAugustine posted:

hey i like this thread when its readable, please dont pick shitfights

sorry but these issues are kinda Important and i hate it when people avoid addressing the elephant in the room out of politeness. peace that's the absence of conflict and not the peace of justice martin luther king jr something something

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

you guys don't let me have any fun

real answer then: if people die because the church says what the church believes is true, the church should seek to put an end to that. the church should not stop saying what the church believes to be true, nor is it any way morally obligated to do so.

...do you like, not care that people have killed themselves because they thought they were going to hell for being gay? or are you like... okay with that? with children being told they're going to hell unless they change, who upon finding that they can't kill themselves?

the church teaches that people have same sex urges that can be subdued. this is empirically false. the church believes that according to natural law, same sex sexual behavior is unnatural. this is also empirically false. church teachings about sexuality are fundamentally flawed and lead people to kill themselves or others, or to sanctify the slow death that is systemic oppression. no amount of "well we should stop that" will change this. it is a feature, and has been since the biblical "man who lies with man should be put to death." full stop.

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

crazy, almost like the church doesn't see the liberation and normalization of lgbt people as a desirable goal in the way that you do

yeah almost like they want us to die in the street like the aids ridden fags we are

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

i'm sorry i just don't find "the church should stop teaching that x is a sin because it causes emotional distress to people who believe themselves guilty of committing x sin" to be a compelling argument. it's not even an argument two people on opposite sides of the issue can really have, because you're presuming that the church's teaching on lgbt issues isn't intrinsically good, and someone defending those teachings would uh not agree with that.

something intrinsically good wouldn't cause LITERAL CHILDREN TO BE TORTURED AND CAUSE THEM TO COMMIT SUICIDE

my argument is "your beliefs kill people" and so far your argument is "it's worth it"

you oppose abortion but don't oppose tormenting children into killing themselves. hope that fetus doesn't turn out gay, in the catholic church's ideal society they'd see some bad poo poo

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

sure, I agree. I'm just pushing the matter a bit hard here because I have no patience for arguments that the church ought to change its stance on x, y or z issue because of [consequentialist argument], and because senju is easy to get worked up.

yeah i sure do have some personal issues with the catholic church's teachings on lgbt people because i used to be lgbt and catholic and almost became a priest because i refused to really examine the underlying reason why having a sexual and romantic relationship with a woman was completely and totally unappealing

boy i hope you don't act like this to gay and or trans kids

oh yeah i'm also livid about dead children and adults, what a great troll

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Smoking Crow posted:

I have a beard

what's her name?

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
i can't believe the romans had kayfabe donkey shows

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mr Enderby posted:

Ehh, I don't know what the gently caress was happening on the continent, but the problem with ECW was emphatically not a shortage of principles. You've read the Putney Debates. Does anyone there sound like they've ever admitted about being in the wrong about anything?

i choose to interpret ecw in this post as extreme championship wrestling, because it could also apply there. just look up the mass transit incident. also thumbtack matches are really hosed up

has nothing on japanese matches, tho. there was one extreme rules match that was all flourescent bulbs. over a hundred were broken during the match with all sorts of glass dust everywhere, the wrestlers bleeding all over the place. horrifying.

anyway extreme rules wrestling is basically the gladiators of our time. heck people die in the ring sometimes too

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
something something please help me my family is dying

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
honestly scientists going "we're all going to eat bugs so we're developing bug recipes" and then just like... making whole roast bugs in a pile are why you don't have scientists cater your bbq

that's not related but your thing about going veg for the environment made me think of it. get chefs in on your bug meals, scientists, and then maybe i'll think about it but until then stop trying to act like a steak and a fuckin pile of bugs are equal

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
what’s gonna happen when he takes communion??????

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ceciltron posted:

The dead are dead, you are merely summoning demons :gonk:

hey man there are beings who because of their bad karma are reborn as ghosts who feel terrible hunger and thirst which they can’t sate, which means they’re in constant pain and misery. helping them helps you accrue positive karma. so you know whatev

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ceciltron posted:

The dead go to heaven, purgatory or hell and that is that. The rest is demons and the devil. I'm gonna pray you guys are kept safe from your own folly.

actually the dead are reincarnated into any of a number of realms, and that includes your god who will eventually die and be reborn, likely as a cockroach

• Locked thread