Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Goobish
May 31, 2011

I'm working on reading through the thread so I apologize if this sort of basic question has already been addressed, but since we are on the topic of lgbtq in the church I figured I'd go ahead and ask.

I have very recently decided to start being active in a local church and so far I love it. It's the highlight of my life right now. However, I am a mostly gay as heck transgender man. And I'm really worried that my new love of Christianity is eventually going to come crashing down because I believe absolutely nothing can change me being gay and transgender, and even if it somehow could I would be against that. I came out to my pastor to test the waters and she was perfectly fine with it, but admitted to me that this specific denomination (Methodist) is almost completely divided on the gay/trans rights issues.

I guess I'm asking for advice on how to navigate this for myself. I love God and want to get to know the Jesus man, but I am sort of afraid of reading the Bible and feeling like I'll never be accepted as a Christian. Are there any books people could suggest, or even suggestions of which denominations I would have the most luck with? I am ok with the united Methodist church I am currently at, and what little experience I have I think I prefer more traditional things over contemporary, but I'll be moving sometime soonish in the future so I may or may not stay with the Methodists. For now they seem very accepting though so that's cool. I just want to be able to feel like I'm ok to exist as an extremely queer Christian.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goobish
May 31, 2011

So quick maybe silly question. I am bummed I am missing my churches Good Friday service and noticed the local Catholic church has one at a time I can attend. Are Catholics cool with some random person just showing up? I was going to call and ask but figured this thread would know good Catholic etiquette for a non Catholic. If I can go should I be more aware of how I am dressed? My church never cared that I went casual but even just the word Catholic looks super fancy.

Goobish
May 31, 2011

Forgive me I'm too lazy to search through the thread. It's probably been mentioned. But I'm wondering what the goons collective is on the tithe? I waiver between *yes good thing* and *no you're probably doing shady poo poo* I'm interested in hearing peoples' opinions, though.

Goobish
May 31, 2011

I'm glad I'm not the only person with a goal of goat stewardship. Someday. Someday I'll be with goats.

• Locked thread