Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Welp. "I I have come not to bring peace, but a fighter jet"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

HEY GAL posted:

orthodox priests will bless anything you ask them to. i think this is a good thing. hopefully, this plane's pilot will remain free from harm, which is ok to think no matter what our countries' opinions are of each other
That's really nice to know. I think I had a knee-jerk reaction as an ex-Friend, to whom all weapons are Bad Things. It wasn't about blessing a Russian jet, it was about blessing any jet at all.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Pellisworth posted:

imo the most Christian thing to do is help kids regardless of their parentage, if you have kids of your own cool but it's really a loving awesome thing to foster or adopt kids.
It's complicated.

The American baby-adoption business (and it is a business) is waaaaay undersupplied; there aren't healthy white babies waiting unadopted. Cross-racial adoption has been reported, by the adult children of cross-racial adopters, to have lifelong effects on their self-image and self-worth. Adopting babies from overseas has led to horrible baby-buying rings in most countries where it's been tried, complete with children being kidnapped or coerced from mothers. The Christian thing to do for a baby whose mother is too poor to feed it is to help the mother. Older children who need adoption need special skills and patience, because children generally do not wind up in the foster-care system until their home lives are unbearable. Many parents who are capable of raising a child from a baby are not capable of raising a child who has been abused or neglected.

Saying "Don't have a baby, adopt" is like saying "Don't drive, give the money to the AudubonSociety". Some people are called to make that sacrifice. Some people can't make that sacrifice. And some people plain don't want to, and do good in other ways. There are many different ways to organize your life and responsibilities, and no one choice is obviously correct.

Lutha Mahtin posted:

A minor thing to keep in mind here is that an "infertile" person or couple is often just diagnosed that way by a doctor, so science being imperfect, this means they could in theory surprise everyone and have kids someday. See: that King of the Hill episode about Hank's narrow urethra.
The claim, as I understand it, is that all acts of intimacy must be "open to conception", or words to that effect. I'm 57. There is no act of intimacy I am capable of that is open to conception. Still, for some reason my having sex with my husband is A-OK, even though God hasn't made a woman my age conceive since Biblical times. If God can theoretically send a miracle to make me conceive, he can just as theoretically send a miracle to make the Pill not work, or the condom spring a hole, or whatever.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Pellisworth posted:

Hi mom! No seriously, my mom is about your age and I mean that with all the respect I have for her. I think it's a cultural universal that you hate your parents in your teens but hit your mid-twenties and look back thinking "yeah, my parents were totally loving right about most everything."
We were lucky; our children remained loving and the family remained close through two adolescences. The whole "I hate you and everything you do is wrong" thing never happened, and they're still living at home (thanks, disability! thanks, graduate school!) in their twenties.
e:

Paladinus posted:

Pregnancy after 50? It's more likely than you think!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pregnancy_over_age_50

(screams in fear) Fortunately, I'm not on HRT.

Arsenic Lupin fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Nov 15, 2016

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Smoking Crow posted:

Y'all are weird

This is news?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Mo Tzu posted:

It sucks tho cause like she has no memory of the verbally abusive poo poo she'd do to our whole family, so she'll say things like "can you imagine? her own children are terrified of her. you guys were never afraid of me," having no memory of me asking my father, in tears, to not tell her about me forgetting to do a project in school and her screaming at him for not having dinner ready because he was helping me. that poo poo hurts
Consider the possibility that she is choosing to have no memory of it. It's a classic narcissist strategy; anything upsetting simply didn't happen. Whether she's choosing it or not, she's gaslighting you.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Hey, friends, I could use your prayers.

My husband started a job in January that was a disastrous fit. They wouldn't take advantage of the professional skills they hired him for, and then they got mad at him for saying "If you do X now, you will be unable to handle task Y later." He wound up with anxiety so severe he would sit in a chair shaking, and unable to do anything.

Today he came home and they'd fired him. I'm profoundly relieved, because I was worried he was heading for a nervous breakdown. (No longer a diagnosis, but hey, it explains what was going on.) The part that really bothers me is that he took this job so fast because I'm disabled and I can't contribute to the family income the way I used to. He worries because he has to support the household alone; I worry because he's carrying a burden I used to be able to help him carry. I'm so worried about my husband. We've been married 36 years, we're the best of friends, and he's wearing himself to a thread doing the single-provider parent thing we never, in a million years, expected to wind up doing. He needs to jobhunt again, and I fear that he'll take another bad job because he needs to support the family.

tl;dr: If you could pray for my husband and for our family, I'd be grateful.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Bel_Canto posted:

I happen to think that Bl. John Henry Newman's second miracle already happened, but it wouldn't be accepted by ecclesiastical authorities because it's super :gay:

:justpost:

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

System Metternich posted:

e: in a comment section discussing this I was also referred to some remnants of the female diaconate that possibly, maybe have survived in the Carthusian order?

quote:

The website of the Carthusians posted:
After her solemn profession or perpetual donation, the nun can, if she wishes, receive the Consecration of Virgins. This is a special rite where the Bishop gives the nun not only the veil and ring, external signs of an indissoluble union with the divine Spouse, but also the stole. This confers on the recipient certain liturgical privileges the most significant of them being the proclaiming of the Gospel on certain occasions.
Nah, Consecration of Virgins is a totally different thing. It's an old rite --there used to be consecrated widows, too-- for women to consecrate their lives to the service of the church, and you didn't have to be a monastic to do it. It was revived for non-monastic women in 1970 although whether you, personally, can receive the rite (assuming you meet the qualification) depends on the whims of the bishop in whose diocese you live. I used to follow the blogs of a couple of consecrated virgins.

There are also consecrated hermits; I used to really enjoy (and learn from) Sr. Laurel M. O'Neal, and once got a very kind reply to a question I'd sent her.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Ceciltron posted:

I don't think implying that the old testament is angry and mean is antisemitic. I mean there is the entire fact the thing is a kind of racial-supremacy narrative that, *thank God*, is swept away by the decision to bind the Gentiles to the Jews like the branch of a wild olive tree is joined to a cultivated one. Then again, if looking at the (biblical) actions of Jews regarding non-Jews in the places they're in charge of leaves me with a sour taste, then maybe I'm antisemitic!

I'd also say that there's a big disconnect between Justice and Law in the old testament. The old Testament is a book concerned with laws. These laws aren't terribly just, in and of themselves, and seem (forgive me my audacity here) arbitrary. I'd argue that the New testament, with the Golden Rule, fosters far more Justice than the previous legalistic approach.
Here is the thing. Most of us agree that you cannot learn Christianity just by reading the Bible; you need to understand the Church and its history as well. The Bible is not a stand-alone object; you need to understand not just the language it was written in, but how it was understood by its earliest readers, the Church Fathers, who were closest in time to the text and to Jesus's followers.

Judaism is like that. You cannot understand Judaism by saying "Oh, here's the 'Old Testament'", because that's not how Judaism works. There is what we call the Old Testament and Jews call the Tanakh, but there is also an ancient body of work called the Talmud, which is interpretation of the Tanakh, and without which there is no Judaism. Then there are centuries of interpretive work *on* the Talmud.

Interpreting Judaism through an English translation of the Tanakh is like interpreting Christianity through nothing but an English translation of Gospels. Judaism is a practiced and lived religion, and if you want to understand how it is lived and prayed, you don't go to Christian sources to find out.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Ceciltron posted:

I'd also say that there's a big disconnect between Justice and Law in the old testament. The old Testament is a book concerned with laws. These laws aren't terribly just, in and of themselves, and seem (forgive me my audacity here) arbitrary. I'd argue that the New testament, with the Golden Rule, fosters far more Justice than the previous legalistic approach.
I forgot to mention that the Jewish formulation of the Golden Rule (see below) predates Jesus.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_Rule#Judaism

quote:

You shall not take vengeance or bear a grudge against your kinsfolk. Love your neighbor as yourself: I am the LORD.

— Leviticus 19:18
Hillel the Elder (c. 110 BCE – 10 CE),[22] used this verse as a most important message of the Torah for his teachings. Once, he was challenged by a gentile who asked to be converted under the condition that the Torah be explained to him while he stood on one foot. Hillel accepted him as a candidate for conversion to Judaism but, drawing on Leviticus 19:18, briefed the man:

What is hateful to you, do not do to your fellow: this is the whole Torah; the rest is the explanation; go and learn.

— Shabbath folio:31a, Babylonian Talmud
Note the citation there: to the Talmud, not to the Tanakh.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Bel_Canto posted:

The generally accepted term for Judaism's emphasis on the Law and its application is that Judaism is, in pretty much all of its strains, strongly orthopraxic: Jewish scholarship even in its more liberal denominations is concerned with what God wants people to do and how they should do it. Pretty much all Christian denominations are more orthodoxic than orthopraxic, though of course Catholicism and Orthodoxy are both more heavily orthopraxic than most Protestant denominations. Some of those can still, however, be heavily orthopraxic in practical terms even though in theory they're all about sola fide (see: some of the Neo-Calvinist churches with their extensive member covenants). Point is, calling anything "legalistic" is generally accepted as a form of derision, especially in Christian contexts, and we'd be better served by avoiding the term.
Rem acu tetigisti.

I have always envied the idea that it is perfectly acceptable to be an atheist Jew; God doesn't care if you believe in Him, He just cares that you obey the laws. (Which include laws on making the world better, feeding the poor, and so on.)

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

SirPhoebos posted:

I have some questions about Jews for Jesus. Are they Christians that have adopted Jewish customs or Jews that acknowledge Jesus (or Jeshua ben Joseph) as the Messiah? Or a mix of both?
A mix of both. I knew somebody who was a Jew for Jesus who was raised Christian but thought his paternal grandmother was probably Jewish. In any case, by definition of all Jewish groups, deciding that Christ was the Messiah is an absolute do-not-pass-go trip out of Judaism.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

HEY GAL posted:

i goddamn hate musical theater
Repent, heretic. (returns to blasting the soundtrack of ASSASSINS)

e: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2HlQja4HrVo

ee: Just to be crystal clear, I do not advocate assassination, nor does ASSASSINS. Far from it.

Arsenic Lupin fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Nov 23, 2016

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

CountFosco posted:

I mean, I'll take Sunday in the Park With George as my choice for transcendent musical theater.

"The choice may have been mistaken, the choosing was not."

It's a piece that has gotten me through some hard, dark times.
For me, the one I played over and over was "I'm Still Here", from Follies.

"I've made it through Herbert and J. Edgar Hoover,
Gee, that was fun and a half.
Once you've made it through Herbert and J. Edgar hoover,
Everything else is a laugh."

Why am I not surprised that the Liturgical thread is all about Sondheim?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Bel_Canto posted:

this one is also excellent and madeline kahn was a national treasure

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PrRDrz53Q1E
She certainly was.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

pidan posted:

:black101: I really don't feel empathy for strangers
:v: that's because you haven't practiced the virtues enough
:black101: I just don't see why I should. Like Ben said in The Big Short, just don't dance. (Ben is a character who bets against the housing market. He reprimands his colleagues for celebrating, because their income comes from an event that was bad for society as a whole)
:v: well, on one hand, you have a bright future in investment banking. On the other hand, this kind of thinking is probably bad for your immortal soul
:black101: eh, I can just do a million years in purgatory. That's a short time compared to eternity. You can't go to hell unless you want to, right?
:v: don't you want to live a life that is pleasing to God?
:black101: I'll be pleasing to God when I come out of purgatory, no?
:v: I think this is not allowed. Purgatory is supposed to be for people who try to be good and fail
:black101: if I go to hell, will you come along for me?

How to convince a dude that being good is In fact good, help me tuxedocatfish
If you're looking at it on a strictly cost-benefit basis, sinning and planning on repenting it later assumes that "later" will still be available. I'm a small-u universalist, but if you aren't, "Hey, God'll handle me when I'm ready to repent!" assumes there isn't a deadline. (Get it: deadline!)

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Pellisworth posted:

can you also summon demons
"Why so can I, and so can any man.
But do they come when you do call for them?"

P. much my favorite Shakespeare quote. I haven't ever played with astrology, but HEY GAL talked about using it for introspection. I know people who use both the Tarot and the I Ching for introspection -- not to say "A red-headed woman will hit you upside the bed with an IMSAI 8080 next Tuesday" but to say "Something combining the Queen of Pentacles and the Fool will be happening soon, what does that suggest to you?" Basically, take the symbols and think about them -- use them as a seed for thought, not as an hour-by-hour prediction of the future.

HEY GAL, does that come close to what you meant?

I'm trying to figure out what I can do to help the oppressed. My husband's just lost his job, so money donations can't happen in the short term, and I'm disabled enough that I can't go places, or commit to do things on a schedule. I hope I can find something productive I can do online, by bits and pieces.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Here's the thing, from my point of view. When you say "divination", what's the Biblical equivalent? Because what the Witch of Endor specifically got in trouble for was talking to the spirits of the dead. It seems to me that "fortune-telling" (the modern English phrase) may not be 1:1 equivalent to "divination" as it is understood in the Old and New Testaments.

I can hack around with a Tarot deck* as long as the day lasts, but that's not communing with spirits, at least not in most Tarot interpretations I'm familiar with. Ditto ditto astrology. Astrology, assuming you believe in it, is not communicating with the dead/demons/Satan; it is looking at what has already been laid down for you by the natural world. A heck of a lot of Saints have believed in astrology without ever stopping worshiping God as understood by the Church. HEY GAL can speak to this much more fluently than I can , because HEY GAL is a historian.

Astrology does not mean that you think the Will of God is anything other than supreme. Astrology can mean that you seek to understand the Will of God as He has laid it out in your constellations.

Me, personally, I think astrology is utter nonsense, but I am heavily on the free-will side of Christianity.

* I don't because I am lazy as whoa.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Josef bugman posted:

I'd rather not, I may spend an inordinate amount of time on S.A. But I'd sooner not have to put up with the proto-goon G.K Chesterton if I can really help it. I read his "defence of Job" thing a while back and I just could not see it.
Chesterton annoys me a lot in other contexts, but The Man Who Was Thursday is just plain fun.

I always raise my hackles a bit at "a man of his time" arguments, because they so often ignore a person's contemporaries who didn't hold the same views. Lewis was, for instance, a contemporary and friend of Dorothy L. Sayers, a staunch feminist. Speaking as a woman, it is painful to read Mere Christianity and have Lewis assure me that I really want to be led by my husband, and that I despise husbands who are bossed around by their wives. Mere C also contains the logically shoddy "Lunatic, Liar, or Lord?" trilemma. However, I heartily recommend The Screwtape Letters, which I found insightful and still influences my prayer practices.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This seems like an interesting analysis of Chesterton to me.

(at least) Two of his poems are wonderful: Lepanto and "The Rolling English Road".

G. K. Chesterton posted:

Before the Roman came to Rye or out to Severn strode,
The rolling English drunkard made the rolling English road.
A reeling road, a rolling road, that rambles round the shire,
And after him the parson ran, the sexton and the squire;
A merry road, a mazy road, and such as we did tread
The night we went to Birmingham by way of Beachy Head.

I knew no harm of Bonaparte and plenty of the Squire,
And for to fight the Frenchman I did not much desire;
But I did bash their baggonets because they came arrayed
To straighten out the crooked road an English drunkard made,
Where you and I went down the lane with ale-mugs in our hands,
The night we went to Glastonbury by way of Goodwin Sands.

His sins they were forgiven him; or why do flowers run
Behind him; and the hedges all strengthening in the sun?
The wild thing went from left to right and knew not which was which,
But the wild rose was above him when they found him in the ditch.
God pardon us, nor harden us; we did not see so clear
The night we went to Bannockburn by way of Brighton Pier.

My friends, we will not go again or ape an ancient rage,
Or stretch the folly of our youth to be the shame of age,
But walk with clearer eyes and ears this path that wandereth,
And see undrugged in evening light the decent inn of death;
For there is good news yet to hear and fine things to be seen,
Before we go to Paradise by way of Kensal Green.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

JcDent posted:

So, ugh, how do we deal with the "any theory that can't be proven false is dogma" thing? I ran into that quote on Civ VI and in a Maddox post recently and I don't want to give my OCD more ammo. I mean, you probably answered it somewhere in the dialogue with Joseph Bugman (nice av, by the way), but I am not that smart.
... uh, what? Can you unpack what that's supposed to mean? Because AFAIK "ham sandwiches taste funny to rocks" isn't anybody's dogma.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

CountFosco posted:

On your second point, I'm not sure that this was unique to Christianity and can really be pointed to as the primary source of its great expansion. There were other, non-Judaic mystery religions at the time which also took on followers of various ethnicities.
Mithraism coulda been a contender, but bulls are way more expensive than bread and wine.

e: If we're faving books of the bible, I love Ecclesiastes like I love pie.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Josef bugman posted:

And we are talking about a document compiled over centuries through various debates about truth and the overall implication of things and so on. I am surprised that people would see and read Job and not only go "This is someone we want to worship" but also "This is a specific episode marking out something that the person we worship did and we need to keep it for other people to read". I mean as a Truth about God I cannot possibly comment. But as the best way to present the Truth about God?
The purpose of most (small-s) scriptures is not to sell the religion to outsiders. The purpose of a scripture is to inform, and sometimes entertain, the people who follow the religion. Hardly anybody out there is reading Deuteronomy for fun; you're reading it for scholarship, or you're reading it as part of the Torah. Deuteronomy isn't "Whoa, Judaism is awesome!" it's "This is what Jews have [had] to do to keep holy."

So the question "Why would you keep this in the canon if it will put off outsiders?" is beside the point. Job is its own thing. It's the OT's direct confrontation of "If there is a God, why do bad things happen to good people?" Job doesn't offer an answer. Sure, it's framed as a bet between Satan and God, but we aren't all the victims of that bet, or at least I hope not. Job can be comforting because Job's speeches acknowledge the hopelessness of pain. His comforters say things like "Bad things don't happen to good people, because God doesn't do things like that!" (Eliphaz) and "You probably sinned, or this wouldn't have happened!" (Bildad).

Anybody who has suffered knows that people still say things like that to the suffering. Job replies "This is awful, and I hate it", and "I didn't deserve this", and according to the conclusion, God agrees with him. The book of Job may not speak to those who have not known suffering, or who have gotten through the suffering by believing that God always helps people who deserve it, or who just don't feel the way Job feels. But for a lot of us, Job's rage says things we'd like to say, and the ambiguous ending affirms that while alive, we never get an answer to the Problem of Evil.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Josef bugman posted:

Then why does this poo poo keep happening? If God is the universe and he cannot alter Himself, then what on earth good is He?
You're talking about theodicy, the Problem of Evil.

There isn't a solution. There isn't an answer. There are many Christian answers, and which you find satisfying depends on who you are, how you were raised, and how you think about it. One standard response is that you aren't God; that God is beyond our understanding. Another answer is that we'll understand it in the afterlife. Another nother answer is that things won't be right until the Second Coming.

Ignore the images, but check out this gorgeous performance of "Farther Along", a Christian hymn about it. Dolly Parton, Emmylou Harris, Linda Ronstadt.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Josef bugman posted:

Why does existence require suffering? Why does a being of infinite power and benevolence allow these problems to occur and still be called "good"? This is the problem, existence does not require it, and yet God allows it.

The Problem of Evil seems like the only problem worth working on.
Theodicy is a central problem of Christian theology and philosophy. If God is infinitely powerful and infinitely benevolent, how can there be evil? It's right there in the foundation of the religion: those three things are incompatible, if you boil them down to a sentence.

Any of us can tell you how our faith tradition addresses this, but asking why it hasn't been solved ignores the fact that it's a fundamental philosophical problem that isn't going away. People have been working on this, for thousands of years, and there isn't one solution that satisfies everybody. The best any of us can tell you is "Thomas addresses this in such and such a way, but Philosopher Z says Y."

A similarly insoluble problem is what exactly did Jesus mean by "Do this in remembrance of me" at the Last Supper? Are we just having bread and wine as a ceremony of remembrance? Are we participating in Christ's sacrifice as we do so? Are the bread and wine actually Christ's flesh and blood? Is it even acceptable to have wine? You aren't going to get one answer; you're going to get the answers of different Christian faith traditions.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

The Wolfen posted:

He was/is furious that innocent children are dying because God has allowed them to (assuming that any such God existed in the first place). What he failed to take into account, or willfully ignored, is that children get cancer from things we as humans have chosen to do/create. Genetically modified foods we don't know all the effects of, radiation from technological "necessities", harmful toxins released into nature from manufacturing, the list goes on.
I'd like to sidetrack here to say that degenerative and fatal diseases were around a long, long time before modern manufacturing and science. Kids were dying of leukemia in Christ's time, and he didn't heal all of them. This is, in my opinion, one of the great American (don't know if you're American, but it's a particular weakness of ours) fallacies. We assume that all misfortune is traceable: you got sick *because* you didn't eat right, or toxins, or vaccination. I wish we were more amenable to "poo poo happens, I'm sorry for your bad luck", rather than "your wellbeing is controllable, because otherwise I'd have to admit that bad things could happen to me."

The Wolfen posted:

Those who are angry at God about allowing evil to be the just consequences of our own choices are (at least to some degree) discounting the agency humanity has had in bringing that evil about.

If Christ on the cross was allowed to yell "My God, why hast thou forsaken me?" even though he knew exactly why he was there, I think the rest of us, who are not sinless, get a pass on being despairing and outraged.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Josef bugman posted:

Do you share that perspective? Because that seems like something worth discussing. I mean a "you" as a collective, not just yourself. Do you believe that the book of Job shows God being Unjust? If it does and you still worship him I would like to debate that more.
Just as Christians have a wide variety of perspectives on the Problem of Evil, we also have a wide variety of perspectives on the truth of the Bible. I, for instance, don't believe every single word is literally true as in "this happened"; I don't believe that it was true of the original orally-transmitted stories, and I certainly don't believe it of the scribal copies and recopies we have now, far less the translations.

My view, and I think it's pretty Protestant mainstream, is that parts of the Bible are teaching stories, parts (like Deuteronomy) are beside the point for modern Christians, and part are the continuing word of God, directly applicable to our moral choices. I am well aware of issues like the two conflicting creation stories in Genesis, and it neither shakes my faith nor is something I feel the need to explain away. I don't think all the stories are literally true. I think they are about God and God's will, but I don't think you can disprove God by noting that evolution is a thing that happened, and noting that there isn't a bright line you can draw between proto-hominids and man.

On Job? It's very much a teaching story, and it isn't directly about the character of God. It's about Job's suffering, and his response to the suffering, and his "comforters'" responses. The frame story of God making a bet with Satan is textually very small compared with the text of Job's speeches. Do I think it happened just as written? I dunno. I think Job is a parable, just such a parable as Christ told, and that it's about the moral response to suffering.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

thechosenone posted:

I feel that I can sort of generalize the main thrust of socrate's argument like so:

Did things have to be this way?

Has god had to do anything?

(A) We don't know and
(B) He set the whole thing up and continues intervening in ways that, again, are church-specific.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

thechosenone posted:

can you elaborate on B? are you talking about the poster I was speaking with or god? if god, then how so be he "intervening in ways that... ... are church-specific"?
I thought you were asking about the Christian answer to those questions. My reply would be that it really depends on which Christian denomination you're talking about. The Catholic Church, for instance, believes as dogma that miracles continue to happen. Other Christian denominations -- and I don't remember which, sorry -- say that "the age of miracles is past", meaning that Christ's disciples did miracles, but at some point God stopped empowering them to do so.

When you argue here, it's very, very important to understand that there is no generic Christian. There are a lot of different Christians, from different faith traditions, and the dogmatic foundations we agree on are pretty drat small. I joke that anybody who can recite the Nicene Creed with a straight face is a Christian, because that's one of the last generally-accepted documents before the Orthodox/Roman Catholic split. It's a very short Creed, and it doesn't address most of the questions you're asking.

e: Also, just to be clear, many of the posters in this thread disagree on foundational faith issues; we agree to talk courteously not because we're all equally correct, but because courteous discussion of Christian differences is both enlightening and fun.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

thechosenone posted:

but are there not similarly rad and awsome ways to get feathers? Are there not other pretty things other than birds god could have created instead of them?
Sure. If you're asking me to explain God's choices, that's way, way above my paygrade. All I know is what we've got, and what I believe through the gift of Faith. I cannot -- and IMNSHO nobody can -- tell you why God chose anything, because s/he's God and I'm not. Ineffable, man.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

thechosenone posted:

So why did god create logic?
We keep telling you that there are questions Christianity doesn't answer. One of those is "why did God do x?" The only answer is "We dunno, because God."

Smoking Crow posted:

God created logic in the same way He created the Hunger Games
This is actually a philosophy of mathematics question:Are mathematics discovered (innate in the universe, we're just figuring the whole thing out) or are they invented (we made up this system and it seems to work okay.) There are schools believing both, and I have just told you everything I know about philosophy of mathematics.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

thechosenone posted:

Welp, can't argue with that. What about this question, which is significantly different I feel: Does belief require existance of god? In your opinion.

That is to say, can one only believe in god if god exists?
Of course not. People believe in lots of things that aren't true. If there is no God, lots of us will be all "Welp" in any hypothetical afterlife, or we'll just die and stop existing. My wanting a thing to be true does not make it so.

So, why do I believe if I acknowledge my belief might be wrong? Because Faith. I had an ineffable, meaning genuinely according to my perceptions God-inspired, moment, and I knew that I believed in God. Lots of other people have never had that moment. We call it "the mystery of faith" meaning that it is bona-fide inexplicable. Some of us think everybody gets the chance and some turn away; some of us think God chooses some of us to have faith and others not; some of us think that one way or another everybody gets saved sooner or later. That's another big and unresolved theological issue: a given church may have its own dogma, but churches disagree.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

thechosenone posted:

Well, what I mean is, I get the feeling that, the more objectionable and inflexible a belief system is, the more difficult it is going to be to keep up with it. I feel that the more difficult to follow, and more objectionable parts of a faith seem to get downsized, stricken off the list, or just plain ignored or reinterpreted as need be. Religions which cannot do this likely have a difficult time of things, especially when they have more flexible competition, or hit a hard spot.
*Cough* Aztec human sacrifice *cough*. Note esp: "Before and during the killing, priests and audience (who gathered in the plaza below) stabbed, pierced and bled themselves as autosacrifice (Sahagun, Bk. 2: 3: 8, 20: 49, 21: 47). Hymns, whistles, spectacular costumed dances and percussive music marked different phases of the rite."

Before you say "Well, nobody does that now", the custom seems to have lasted around 1900 years, and to have been stopped by a foreign invasion rather than by any sort of internal weakness.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Josef bugman posted:

I think there were differing types of human sacrifice in what we would now call Central America. I think calling it the same thing is a bit different. It still continued of course.
I was talking specifically about Aztec human sacrifice, not any other society's. There's a heck of a lot of archaeological and witness evidence for that one.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Josef bugman posted:

The mass human sacifice though was a common thing throughout the history of Central America.
Hey, you gotta do something while waiting for American football to be invented.

e: Also, whoops on the Aztecs and thanks for the correction.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Josef bugman posted:

It's no problem!

Can you recommend any good books on the history of Mesoamerica? ::bambi eyes::

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

thechosenone posted:

what does this thread think about my mayor making the town splash park closed on sundays? I figure it doesn't make sense, as a day of rest wouldn't having some fun at the splash park make sense? Not that it is a replacement for the pool they filled in...
Historically, a lot of Protestant Christians believed you shouldn't have any fun at all on Sunday. I've read several 19th-century memoirs -- most notably Laura Ingalls Wilder's -- about children having to sit and look at their toys, because you shouldn't play on Sundays. In Scotland until quite recently the trains didn't run on Sunday. 2014 article on the Sabbath in the Scottish Isle of Lewes.

In the places I've lived in the USA, the objection to Sunday openings were generally couched as "if the stores are open on Sunday (sometimes just Sunday morning), then employees won't be free to go to church." The formulation of "nobody should be working on Sunday, because it's the Sabbath" seems to have mostly died out. Anyway, blue laws are weird. When I visited my grandmother in Texas, some aisles of the grocery store would be taped off because they contained things you couldn't legally sell on Sunday. Not alcohol, because you certainly couldn't buy liquor at the grocery store in Texas, but "non-essentials", and I forget what those were. In Massachusetts, and I think this has changed, you could buy groceries before noon on Sunday, but not beer, wine, or hard liquor.

I don't believe in compulsory Sabbath because hey, state establishment of religion, with bonus "Sunday isn't everybody's Sabbath". I do respect individual businesses, like Chik-Fil-A and various kosher delis, that close on their holy days because their employees shouldn't be required to work.

I loathe Chik-Fil-A for their anti-gay bias, admire them for their Sunday closing, and am shamefully attracted to them for their excellent chicken sandwiches and waffle fries.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

thechosenone posted:

Fair enough. how about favorite goof by god? like the platypus, or dick shaped rocks? (btw if god made the platypus, it was to see if he could combine all the cuteness of a duck, a bever, and a poisonous hammerhead shark into one being :3:).

Hyenas giving birth through their clits. OH GOD WHY. (note that a significant number of pregnant hyenas don't survive their first birth.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

thechosenone posted:

The thing about chick fil a is that I prefer their nuggets. I had one of their sandwiches once and it offended my tastes. I also figure that if they really wanted to be accomodating, they could offer people a little bonus to work sunday, and let them have some other day off. and I'll tell ya what, a weekday off is worth two in the bush, or something like that. would let someone earn a little more which would help out, and allow them to do some stuff they need to, and even attend a non sunday mass if they want to.
Thing is, Chik-Fil-A is not in any way interested in people's opportunities to relax. They want to be closed on the Christian Sunday, because it's against their Christian principles to hire people to work on Sunday. Sunday isn't "a day off", it's God's day.

For those of you who, like me, feel guilty when you eat at Chik-Fil-A, marinating boned chicken in pickle juice really does work. My son tried it, and it was magnificently tender. (My lesbian daughter sometimes gives us permission to eat Chik-Fil-A because she misses it, too. I figure this is like the Pope saying "Oh, go ahead, have another serving of the capybara.")

• Locked thread