Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

thechosenone posted:

So, like, what do you think god's day should be used for? Like, for Christians, and for non-Christians who are affected by it?
I think everybody should go to Hell in their own way.

For Christians who think the Sabbath is still binding -- note that some of these consider Saturday the Sabbath --, sure, go ahead, close your business, take the day off. For Christians who don't, go to church, go to meeting, go to the park, whatever. For non-Christians working for Christians, there should be fair employment laws whose details I am not competent to describe.

Fundamentally? People ought to get to observe holy days. Details to be worked out handwave handwave. The government and government institutions should not favor one holy day over another. For instance, public universities holding exams over Yom Kippur, something that has happened more than once? Right Out. It's fine to have Christmas break, because December vacation is pretty much ingrained into American society at this point, but if people want to work Christmas in exchange for getting [insert your favorite holiday] off, that should be a possibility.

Also I want a pony.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

A complication of blue laws/ Sunday closings that is rarely acknowledged is that for many people contemplation is an unattainable luxury. If you have only two days off a week, and Sunday cannot be used for anything else, you have to cram all of your weekly errands into Saturday. Then, on Sunday, if you run out of milk or diapers, you can be SOL. Furthermore, if you want to go to the library, or to take the children out for entertainment anywhere other than church, again you're SOL. The demands of daily life do not stop dead on Sunday.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

The Phlegmatist posted:

No worries. I know you know your stuff. I just didn't want people to get the wrong idea.

I agree that there's a whole weird framework built up around, primarily, the book of Revelation, like the locusts John of Patmos writes about actually being Apache attack helicopters. Plus the overlap between people who have read the book of Enoch and people who think angels are actually aliens from outer space is startlingly high. Crazies love end times stuff.

Never trust anybody whose favorite books of the Bible are Revelation and Daniel.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Deteriorata posted:

Daniel is cool because we can pin down when it was written almost to the day. The "prophesies" about the King of the North and what he was going to do start diverging from what actually happened just about September, 164 BC.
Ooh! Say more!

Cythereal posted:

Daniel is a fine book, the story of Daniel and the lion's den was one of my favorites as a kid. There's just... really weird parts of the book, too.
It's the "and" that gets you. If they name Revelations and Daniel together, it means they're into prophecy, and very likely into explaining how Biblical prophecy means the following about world politics/the election/...

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

That was a wonderful post. Thank you.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Worthleast posted:

Double posting, but the best part about this is that her visions were written down and edited by her confessor, who was later revealed to be a freemason. That really messes with the ultra rad trads.

IIRC (sorry, migraine today, brain fried) when they made her a Saint they also said some of the private revelations don't count?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Worthleast posted:

Emmerich was canonized? :dawkins101:

My mistake; so far she's just beatified, with the caveat that the crazy prophesies don't count toward the beatification.

"...the books produced by Brentano were set aside, and her cause adjudicated solely on the basis of her own personal sanctity and virtue.[5] Father Peter Gumpel who was involved in the analysis of the matter at the Vatican told Catholic News Service: "Since it was impossible to distinguish what derives from Sister Emmerich and what is embroidery or additions, we could not take these writings as a criteria. Therefore, they were simply discarded completely from all the work for the cause""

You will not be surprised that Mel Gibson is all about Catherine Emmerich and based parts of The Passion of the Christ on her narrative.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

HEY GAL posted:

there are hats though

And dresses. Man, I want those dresses.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

HEY GAL posted:

and names i can't pronounce, all in all A Good Eastern European Post

Thread critical factors to consider when converting:
1. Hats.
2. Ratio of decorations to naked wall
3. Bells.
4. Smells.
105. Theology.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

The Phlegmatist posted:

Etsy has them, so I'm sure some hipster out there has one. Etsy also has stash rosaries that let you hide your weed in the cross because why not.
Man, *somebody* isn't smoking much.

I used to have a poison ring that I wanted to keep my migraine pills in, but then the pills started having to be foil-sealed to preserve freshness.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Bel_Canto posted:

my university choir has, i just learned, decided to schedule our concert on the holiest night of the year. once i've calmed down from apoplectic rage, exactly how much poo poo should i raise over this?

Lots. See if you can find other people who are going to (I'm guessing??) midnight Mass so that you can say "Ten of us have religious obligations that night, can you please reschedule, because I'm sure people in the audience will have the same issue"?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Bel_Canto posted:

What I mean is that our concert happens on Holy Saturday/Easter Vigil, which is in fact the holiest night of the year. Turns out it was the university itself that forced us to do it; they booted us out of what would be our normal slot so they could have a major hoopla in the central auditorium/concert space on campus. Ughhhh this is so infuriating.
Yeah. That's the big night. drat, that's bad. I'm sorry. I agree, making a fuss in the newspaper may be your only hope.

e: It's not just about obligations, though. The Vigil is one of the most beautiful ceremonies of the year.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

HEY GAL posted:

You can forgive people and still desire that justice be done for a whole lot of reasons--upholding an honest social order, making sure it never happens to anyone again, a warning to people who would do the same, etc
Note that there's a separate issue, one churches differ on, of whether the death penalty itself constitutes justice. I'm pretty sure that official Catholic doctrine is anti-death-penalty? Myself, I incline to believing that the death sentence is irrevocable, and that life imprisonment allows people the chance to repent, and allows the system to backtrack from false convictions.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

HEY GAL posted:

oh, no doubt, but you could extend The Phlegmatist's question to all punishments administered by someone who isn't you. Is it OK to demand [x] even if you've forgiven the person who wronged you?
There is a reason that cases in English and American law are framed as "The Queen vs. John Doe" or "The State vs. John Doe" rather than "Grieving Widow vs. John Doe". The crime is against an entire society, not just you, and the society does not actually owe you vengeance, even though it is usually framed that way in the media. "I hope he suffers as much as I do because X is dead!" That's not what the law is for.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Bel_Canto posted:

could i ask for everyone's prayers? this is the second weekend in a row that i've been too ill to go to Mass, and it's making me really miserable not to be able to be in the presence of God and partake of the Sacrament.

You betcha. Hope you get well soon.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Josef bugman posted:

Is there anything that all Christian sects, or the larger ones lets say, believe is an evil?
Murder. Adultery. The catch comes when you define 'murder' or 'adultery'; there is no definition for either that all the major Christian sects agree on. For instance, if you get legally divorced under the laws of your country, are you committing adultery? Catholics say yup. Similarly, the definition of what is 'murder' and what is 'justified killing' is exquisitely reasoned.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Josef bugman posted:

I'd like it if the ten commandments had an additional: "THOU SHALT NOT SHITPOST". Youtube areas would be a smoldering wasteland, but it might help matters. I suppose that makes sense. Something I am not too sure about but I do find interesting. Again sorry if I come across as stupid. I am trying.
"Father, I must confess to the sin of accidia. I failed to cite my facts."

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

WerrWaaa posted:

I will be able to teach a few adult ed classes at my local Episcopal parish in the coming year. If you were given the choice to teach/learn something at church, what would it be? and how would you structure it?
(another Episcopal person) Talking about the Church Fathers and basically the early history of the Church would float my boat to an unreasonable degree. However, I am a nerd.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Can I ask for you guys's prayers? My husband's anxiety meds stopped working the week before he was fired from a job he hated, and now he's jobhunting, something that always makes him anxious, right before the Xmas holidays when most companies aren't trying to hire. His doctor is prescribing a sub-clinical dose of one SSRI to taper him off the previous SSRI, and won't update the dose until next month for medical reasons. He's running on rims at the moment. Thanks.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Pershing posted:

St. Dymphyna please pray with us.

(reads her legend) Wow, if I were assigning her a sainthood outside of Tradition, I'd have made her the Patron of incest survivors.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

There's apparently a copypasta going around (in Europe as well as the U.S.) saying that the Blessed Anne Emmerich (‽) and Medugorje (‽‽‽) predicted Satan would be ruling 2016. Edited from Tumblr:

quote:

I noticed it on facebook where on news posts would occasionally pop up someone saying “just a little bit more, we just have to bear it for a little more” and I was like ??? but then I did some research and found out that 2016 is believed to be the last year of satan’s 100 years of free reign on the earth (the thing was caused by one of the bets that god and satan tends to do occasionally, and that pope Leo XIII saw in a vision in 1884). one of the sources spreading the theory is HERE, but of course it’s all in italian. some points are:
- During a vision in 1820, it was revealed to Blessed Anna Katharina Emmerick [sic] that Satan would have been freed from the chains about eighty years before the year 2000. This period of freedom for the fallen angel would last a century.
- This is confirmed by a message from Madonna of Medjugorje given to the seers in April 24, 1982
- Further confirmation comes from a vision seen by Pope Leo XIII described as follows: On the morning of October 13, 1884–
[elision in original]
Italian source

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Worthleast posted:

Old Canon law is awesome. Because you know for every wacky case in there, there was a real case in history that happened, and the Church needed to discourage it from happening in the future.
There's a truism that "Every line in the building code is written in blood", because most of the safety provisions are in response to bad disasters (as opposed to good disasters). I do pity the priest for whose benefit "What do you do if you accidentally vomit up the Host" was written.

The whole "is it a valid marriage" thing for converted Catholics is complicated by how the convert were married and to whom. There is a thing called the Petrine privilege that says that if you, a baptised person, marry a non-baptised person and then convert to Catholicism, you can have the marriage to the non-baptised person annulled for the good of your soul. The Pauline privilege says the same thing, but if you're both non-baptised. Then you get out into the weeds about what, precisely, qualifies as non-baptised, which is what makes canon law so exciting.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Bel_Canto posted:

Well, all of us resident papists in the thread can start panicking, because the blood of St. Januarius failed to liquefy this year, which apparently heralds disaster in the year to come.

I bet it's retroactive.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Bel Canto, I'm curious: what's the theological difference between saying "I baptize you" and assuming it has no effect if the person is ineligible or already baptized; and saying "If you aren't already baptized / are capable of being baptized I baptize you"? I notice that there are several formulas of baptism you called out, as well as the ones for rebaptizing converts if their original baptism is of uncertain form, that are careful to specify that they're valid only where recognized.

Hmm. Is there any circumstance where you'd say over a Host "If this is not already the Body of our Lord, I consecrate it?" Like, if the priest died at an unclear point in the institution?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

The Phlegmatist posted:

If you baptize somebody twice their sins are forgiven too much. There's an integer underflow and they immediately burst into flames and turn into Satan.
:perfect:
Gives a whole new meaning to "halt and catch fire".

e:

quote:

as a thought experiment, let's say someone comes into the classroom where Father Joe is teaching some eighth graders about confirmation. "Father Joe, there's been an emergency at Mass, come help!" And Father Joe comes into the sanctuary where Father Duc lies dead slumped over the altar. The ciborium and chalice are there. Father Joe doesn't speak Vietnamese, and can't ask any of the parishioners to ascertain how far Father Duc was into the consecration. Does he consecrate again?
Taking advantage of the "as soon as possible" clause, you call Mrs. Tranh, head of the Altar Guild, at home, and get her to translate. It is well known* that to the Altar Guild are reserved all powers of Heaven and Earth. Unfortunately, Mrs. Tranh reports that everybody in the congregation speaks an obscure subdialect of Vietnamese, and they had no idea if the words of institution were finished or not. They just prayed when the bell rang.

At this point, you just make a Perfect Act of Contrition For What I Am About To Do, consecrate the Blood, consume the whole drat ciborium, and hope God sorts it out.

* to the Altar Guild

ee: For maximum verisimilitude, the mass in question is the 10AM Wednesday mass, and the only people present were Mrs. Tranh's grandmother, Mrs. Tranh's great-aunt, and Mrs. Tranh's baby, whom her great-grandmother and great-great-aunt were babysitting.

Arsenic Lupin fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Dec 21, 2016

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

HEY GAL posted:

capybara (it was friday at the time)
Which had actually been prepared by Mrs. Tranh as a trenchant critique of his refusal to wear a maniple.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Oh, no, Lovecraft fights. [summons dread Cthulhu to end her suffering early].

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

The Phlegmatist posted:

Yep, and also for most conservative Protestants too. What dark secret lies behind the spaghetti dinners? We shall never know.
There have been times and places where the Masons were legit acting like a secret society and controlling governments; one of the recents was Propaganda Due in Italy. The Masons say "Hey, we expelled those weirdos", everybody else says "Not fully you didn't." "In its latter period, during which the lodge was headed by Licio Gelli, P2 was implicated in numerous Italian crimes and mysteries, including the collapse of the Vatican-affiliated Banco Ambrosiano, the murders of journalist Mino Pecorelli and banker Roberto Calvi, and corruption cases within the nationwide bribe scandal Tangentopoli. P2 came to light through the investigations into the collapse of Michele Sindona's financial empire."

Back when Wikileaks did all sorts of leaks, not just Russian propaganda, I read the Masonic rituals. The worst I remember of them is that they were vaguely "We all worship the same God, the rest are details" which obviously isn't acceptable to any denomination that isn't universalist.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

HEY GAL posted:

well i believe this, the question is just how you interpret that statement. for instance, i believe protestants worship the same god as i do, but are wrong.

It was the "the rest is details" part (e: not an actual quote, a dim summary) that I think would get up most denominations' noses.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Tias posted:

Aw, you my homie :cthulhu:

This is more or less the sum of lovecraft fandom: The man was brilliant and if you like any kind of modern horror you should basically reconize, because it wouldn't have happened without him. The racism is more of 30'es bro kind of level, which is obnoxious and horrible, but not the sum of his writership.
[trigger warning I am not kidding]
"On The Creation of N------"
No. Lovecraft wasn't "a creature of his times". He took racism to a Stormfront level, not just a "well, it was in the air" level.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

my dad posted:

I never said anything about reading and appreciating his literary work. But actually honoring the guy? Blah.

This. And buying Lovecraft's work doesn't benefit him anyway, because (a) he is dead and (b) it is probably out of copyright now.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Hey, guys! It's been a really rough month chez Lupin. I'm in deep despair after a mere 6 days of Trump. I'm calling representatives and such, but I'm disabled and that's about all I can do.

How are you guys doing? What's sustaining you?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Senju Kannon posted:

it's just too bad conservative christians ignore passages like "from each according to their means and to each according to their needs,"
You do know that's Karl Marx, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Senju Kannon posted:

there's a passage in acts where the apostles have the community pool together their money and they distribute it to each according to their specific needs
Oh, I misunderstood. I thought you meant that was a direct quote.

• Locked thread