Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
good things: vestments, bells, elaborate music, theology, gays

bad things: polyester, people who don't care about theology, Just Asking Questions, hats that aren't silly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Paladinus posted:

Controversial opinion: some new things are actually better than old things.

hot take: no they aren't

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
why are you friends with jerks, mo tzu

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
while looking for a soundtrack for a game i run, i found this loving thing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6gyxbBvmTY

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Cythereal posted:

Honestly, who hasn't raided with a Trans-Siberian Orchestra Christmas album blaring over vent?

go Charpentier or go home
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vha5Sd53Ah0

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Gaspy Conana posted:

Guy who doesn't know what denomination he is checking in. I'm glad the new Christianity thread has a broader title because I wasn't sure if I was allowed to post in the last one. Not used to liturgical services, but I'm definitely over the Charismatic evangelical thing. It gets really weird and political and flag-worshippy for my taste. Even the gentrified young people churches are like that, except they have espresso machines instead of a drip brew from the seventies.

Also I imbued my clown game with shenanigans. No direct Christ allegory, more like a ~what a Christian should look like~ metaphor. Anyway, cool to talk about this on SA.
go to a bunch of services of different denominations, see what grabs you

i hope it's orthodoxy

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Mo Tzu posted:

This is good advice, though if you're more intellectual and less experiential (this seems elitist but I'm not sure how else to say "if thinking is easier than feeling for you") then reading up on different church dogmas, ideologies, and theologies is also good
there's also different kinds of thinking, for instance i think about abstract things or general things in terms of concrete or specific things, so in order to explain something when i write something i end up listing a billion examples

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
i love the facial expressions in that comic so very very much.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

System Metternich posted:

Gotta explain this to a dirty Old Worlder
southerners are extremely gastfreundlich, except maybe texans but that's the west not the south
i do not know anyone from New England so i don't have the appropriate german adjective

ed: also southern food is delicious and fattening

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Cythereal posted:

I'm in the fourth city I've lived in in the past ten years. :v: Maybe if I find the right one. Of the churches I visited, though, it was the ELCA Lutheran church I was happiest with. They certainly had the best food.

For those new to this thread, I'm an Evangelical by background and general beliefs, but I no longer consider myself Southern Baptist per se - I have issues with how right-wing the SBC has become, and a lot of Evangelical churches in general.
and he moves a lot, add that to the character sheet

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

(Charpentier is to die for, and he's afaik the only French composer of that period to emulate the Baroque style that was popular in the rest of Catholic Europe at the time. That's probably because he studied at Rome)
you know the fun thing about Charpentier's Te Deum? The opening bit is all brass and kettledrums, which is the cavalry version of the infantry's familiar flutes and drums. The kettledrums would be hung one on either side of the horse.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Bel_Canto posted:

although that did help cement the Poles' status as "too slavic for the west, too roman for the east" and the unfortunate military stomping ground of europe for several centuries
in the period i study, they did the stomping

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
divorce and left wing economic policy, how terrible

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Smoking Crow posted:

I see funny cash and immediately think Company scrip
the dude's making fun of a left winger because the real cool rad poo poo is being right wing, i would bet it's about welfare

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Worthleast posted:

It's Chesterton. He hated Usury.
haha, :yikes:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G._K._Chesterton#Charges_of_anti-Semitism

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

syscall girl posted:

it did mention putting someone in an oven

maybe it was a game of thrones reference

inb4 ezra pound reference

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Can I suggest an amplification to the OP?

You don't have to be a Christian. You do have to be polite.

that's the "be a cool guy don't be an unchool guy" clause

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
we probably have many different opinions (like, i know for a fact zonohedron and i do because i read her posts on the topic), and unlike our opinions on a whole bunch of other stuff, we will probably get emotional about them if it comes to an argument and say things we'll regret

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Pellisworth posted:

It does not reflect our fundamentally sinful reality.
our true nature is to be good and we are only bad out of ignorance (maybe Crow couldn't spell) and because we are misdirected by the passions (maybe his fingers slipped because he was typing too fast). you too can get in touch with your true nature, with God's help (a mod fixed it)

:angel:

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
our official position on a thing is almost always literally ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Cythereal posted:

I'm a Southern Baptist by background and would absolutely be fine going to church in a t-shirt and shorts, but look at some of the ridiculous costumes some other folks in this thread have posted being associated with their denomination.
that's for the priests. the less americanized the Orthodox in question are the less likely they are to dress up for church. but men should uncover their heads and women should cover theirs.

also, zonohedron, what is a "particular church"? then i'll let you know if we have them

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

zonohedron posted:

I have no idea the actual definition, but, e.g. the Latin-rite Catholics are a particular church, the Maronites are one...
In America those would probably be either "jurisdictions" (if nobody's a heretic) or the big groups, like us and the Copts, were the result of schism.

I think.

Edit: And I know ROCOR priests have gotten in trouble for rebaptizing Catholics. Some OCA priests do that and some do not.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
cythreal, isn't your ex black? what did the women who were like...three times her age wear to church? those hats are more like wedding cakes

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Cythereal posted:

We dated for three months and people dressed like any other college students going to church - t shirts and jeans were the rule.
black lady church hats are resplendent and magnificent. but people your ex's age are too young for that.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

It's much older, too, most of those Spanish confraternities (hermandades or cofradías)
for the record, i have never heard the first word, always only the second

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
pasta by white people is all terrible

if you want to learn how to make good pasta i will teach you people

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Tias posted:

teach us
-->salt your water, put a little olive oil in it
-->take it to a rolling boil, a very intense boil
-->put pasta in
-->keep stirring it, make sure it doesn't stick together
-->taste it frequently
-->when it is mostly cooked but (this is the important bit) still has a tiny bit in the middle where it isn't done yet then it is ready. you should probably even stop it cooking slightly before this point because it will keep cooking in the hot water on your way to the sink to drain it
-->drain it
-->serve immediately

-->different shapes of pasta go with different kinds of sauce, too.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Pellisworth posted:

In the rural Midwest where I grew up, church was the major social gathering for most people, since that's about the only time you would see a lot of each other. That and school events, possibly family reunions because more than half your neighbors are your second cousins lol.
JcDent, one of the reasons this is different for y'all might be because Pellisworth is from a region that is goddamn huge and has almost no people in it. Church might be one of the few occasions there's enough of them in one place for people to hang out.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
we dressed La Conquistadora up when i was a child

http://www.santafenewmexican.com/news/local_news/history-of-la-conquistadora/article_ca342910-fe14-5b69-a766-8cb9000ac3d8.html

there is also a collection of her tiny clothing in our cathedral museum

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
in english we say bedroom community

also my church is like...30 people

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
there is a chick in this hostel from Alaska, and it's making me think: does anyone here know how native Alaskans fast? if you live in Alaska and hunt whales, there's not a lot of farming up there. Same for native Siberians I guess.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Pellisworth posted:

That's a good question, I do know you're right and the Inuits have an almost entirely animal-based diet so fasting seems like it'd be tough. They also would be dealing with serious vitamin D deficiency since they're getting all their vit D from eating animals (especially seafood) rather than sunlight.

they might not, like some 18th century russian could have looked around at the ice and gone "maybe we just won't tell them that bit"

ed: i think there are also some people who are mongolian-adjacent and Orthodox

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Pellisworth posted:

I thought the Orthodox line on fasting was more or less "it is a very good thing you should do if you're able to."
the dude eating the whale is probably not that demographic tho

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
the devotio moderna is not medieval, it is modern

hence the name

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
project defenestration is a go, repeat it is a go

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
many early communists were also orthodox, qed

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
usually i tone down the bluntness but not in this case: if your life sucks and you are thinking about the religious life, it might be as a fantasy of escape instead of anything real.

also if god gave you a person you love and she loves you, that might be a message about what kind of life you are going to lead in the future--one in the world.

if you still want this after you find a job again, then it might be a legit vocation.

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Sep 26, 2016

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
nothing sexier than hearing your lover's words: "hello. Hello? Hello! Can you hear me!...it's frozen again..."

edit: not dissing long distance relationships, since i move around so much, not only my romantic relationships but also my friendships are long distance at least half the time. without modern communication i'd either be lonely as gently caress or be writing 8 letters a day to everyone i know

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Sep 26, 2016

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
if you're anywhere near florida, cythreal is looking for people to hang out with and it turns out there's at least two of you :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Man Whore posted:

Basically a politically motivated coup in a loving christian denomination.
it almost happened in my denomination too, fortunately we deposed the Metropolitan who was the most infected

• Locked thread