Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Lutha Mahtin posted:

this is why the Glastonbury music festival exists. Yeshua loved some good chunes

Ironically, I don't think ELP ever played there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

HEY GAIL posted:

orthodox liturgies are only allowed to be celebrated once per day per altar

In some Russian churches they have tiny side-altars when one service a day is not enough, but there's also not enough money for another dedicated altar.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
And it's not like he'll actually join the order overnight. If he wants to work for a tiny room and food as a novice, let him, imo. Monks could use some help probably.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
There was an Italian (?) TV show where a prostitute (?) joined a monastery to hide from the mafia, and later decided to join for real. I remember very little about it, only that the novice habits were blue, so I'm not sure if it was before or after Sister Act.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Bel_Canto posted:

edward "waifu marriage is more real than gay marriage" fesser

I get what he's trying to say, but this is the dumbest metaphor for it. Is it better to be good at maths or have a firm grasp of reality? Yeah, I just don't know, man.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Numerical Anxiety posted:

True enough.

Question for you and the other orthodox types - call it a hunch, but I'm assuming that there's a significant correlation between "young orthodox laymen with big monastic style beards" and "people I might best avoid"? Or am I just being paranoid about Orthodox hipsters?

In Eastern Europe it means they're either from a very small secluded town and/or it's a crazy millionaire.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Numerical Anxiety posted:

Which is more cruel though - Feeding people to animals for your Sunday afternoon entertainment, or a game that causes slow and insidious brain injuries that will haunt its players for years to come and offering them no aid?

That's actually not a rhetorical question.

The latter is worse, because it's not as entertaining to watch. Also feeding animals is arguably good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

SavageGentleman posted:

Just basing myself on the 4 gospels

Uhm.

• Locked thread