Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT
Found out that not only am I on call this week over Christmas, but that I have to come in tomorrow (12/24) because the call center part of our business doesn't get the day off as a holiday, even though the rest of the company does. I'll have one person as a backup but have to be in at 7am because the company doesn't want to treat call center people like humans with families, I suppose. I'll get double time & a half pay but personally I'd take the day off & standard holiday any time because I'd rather be home or with family, especially with the number of stubborn sick idiots that drag themselves in for days/weeks spreading their crap around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

InediblePenguin posted:

i mean the people coming in sick are probably not doing so out of stupidity if they work in a place that you already said doesn't treat them as people... call centers usually fire you if you try to call in ime

A lot of the people who have been coming in are people who have the option to work from home (non-call center, usually in management or another role) so they don't have an excuse. We have video conferencing options like Skype & Zoom where they can attend meetings as needed remotely & still access all they need on VPN. At least 3 people have been coughing their guts out for almost a month now, 2 of them sit within like 20 feet of me & it's loving gross :smithicide:

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

Ugly In The Morning posted:

There’s like no decorations in the towns near me, it’s so weird. Usually there’s lights and whatnot on the streetlights and whatnot.

You know, you may be on to something....the main thoroughfare in my city is usually lit within a couple days of Thanksgiving. Lights & decorations on trees, street lights, buildings, you name it.

This year? Nothing. No snowflake or candle lights up, no string lights on buildings or trees, very few houses around town with big decorations like they'd usually have. It seems really weird, it's like the happiness has been sucked out of the town entirely.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

Work in general, especially the pace we're going at & the lack of planning or communication about everything.

We got word that the company may be leasing another building but that fell through. At the same time, we have 150 people who'll be working remote from home, but we don't even have the hardware inventory to support it yet. The managers who want it all set up haven't even sent us any list of people who will be going home despite wanting them ready by no later than end of March & our most recent computer/monitor order through Dell got delayed by a week. On top of it all my boss dropped cell phone provisioning & upgrading duties on me with almost zero training on how to do it or how the site works, then turned around & emailed like 20 people telling them all we wanted to get them upgraded in the next 2 weeks. This on top of last week on Tuesday when we had a request for 45 users to be given work-from-home computers by Friday for upcoming mandatory overtime, which is why our inventory got wiped out completely. Managers also didn't give us the list of who was going home until Thursday morning so we had to rush to build, name & deploy PCs out in less than 48 hours.

There's talk of potentially hiring another 200+ people by mid April & our whole team is already burned out. I found out last week in my bi-weekly 1 on 1 with the manager that I did the most tickets for the month of February alone, just shy of 350. The next person below me had about 181, everyone else was between 120-150. We're also in the middle of upgrading our VPN client to a new app for all users (over 1100 total, in town & remote in other states), plus the server team is migrating data to a newer, faster server in the middle of it all. I swear some days I want to hang myself from a doorknob, this place is a clusterfuck :smithicide:

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

I'm working hard...on finding another job. Had 2 phone interviews this week & an in-person tomorrow morning. Took the next 2 days off, because gently caress it, I'm burned out & have taken the least amount of time (vacation & sick combined) in the last year of anyone on the team. On the upside I've built up enough PTO that I could give my 2 weeks & take all of it off before starting a new job, which I'm seriously considering. Sucks to be them but they'll have to learn the hard way that the way they're running business isn't working & other people need to cut the bullshit with dragging their loving feet.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

Captain Invictus posted:

so this guy dropped the value by nearly 50 grand solely because of the siding looking bad(which it does). he says in his report the house is well-maintained in and out besides that but did not reference like, the roof being brand new, all new appliances and a new shower, new furnace and water heater, everything. surely that sort of poo poo should increase the value. we're contesting his appraisal because the other appraisal we had done a few months ago for the other potential refinancing, where the guy did a thorough walkthrough for 2 hours and sat down and discussed everything was substantially, positively different from his. I loving hope we don't get screwed because of this guy being in a rush and hurting himself and holding it against us. a 50 grand drop is loving absurdly massive just because the siding isn't good, and he also based the baseline value off of houses literally halfway across town rather than in our neighborhood, claiming the houses around ours(a 2-story former farmhouse) are comparable sizes, when the majority of them are 1-story ranch houses.

This is absolutely the last thing I needed today. I can't believe this piece of poo poo.

this is really making me totally despair on top of everything else that's happened this week. this might totally gently caress the second loving refi because of this guy's poor appraisal. I refuse to believe he did an adequate job when he did not ask any questions and was there less than a half hour.

If you have to contest it, bring these points up immediately with whomever needs to know it. Maybe they can have someone else do a more thorough appraisal & find out why the guy you got went through everything so fast. Who knows, he may have a track record of this kind of poo poo & they can look at his past appraisals to find out if he did his due diligence or just rushed through them.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

GoodyTwoShoes posted:

I stabbed myself in the eye with my toothbrush, this morning. Fortunately, it was the numbing toothpaste for sensitive teeth, so I still don't know if I hurt myself or not.

I smacked the gently caress out of my forehead when I leaned down too quick to pick up a q-tip off the bathroom floor & smacked the corner of the sink. Stupid injuries suck

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

Not today but found out yesterday that my biological father died of lung cancer. Hadn't talked to him for close to 10 years after a bad falling out & he burned a lot of bridges with family, his home nurse was the one who called my older brother who then called me about it. It feels weird because on the one hand, I pretty much wrote him off (all sorts of addiction problems he never got help for including drugs/booze/gambling) but on the other hand, it's family & I feel like I should have *some* emotion about it. Other than shock & not really looking forward to the whole process of sorting the will & his property, I really haven't felt much yet.

Sucks with COVID too because I live halfway across the US from where he was, but I've got my cousin, older sister & brother helping out since they live close by & my cousin knew the home nurse. I did cry a little yesterday but it was more at the realization that I'm the last surviving person on my father's side of the family. Grandparents are passed already & he never had any more kids before or after me. I've still got my mom & stepdad but they're both nearing their 70s & I've realized just how loving scary it is knowing they might only have a few good years left. My first real foray into not knowing what the hell to do, or where to start, or how to do it...on top of dealing with anxiety that just makes it feel worse.

The one time in my life I can say "I was first" & it's not something I even want to talk about, let alone experience.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

mind the walrus posted:

Yeah this is why I'm not escalating-- my elderly dog is at home and has to be left alone with her for hours at a time. She's already abused the poor girl. My dog is admittedly neurotic but terrified of my roommate in a "this woman did something to me and I don't feel safe" way. I already have a camera hidden and haven't seen anything, but at some point in the recent past my roommate definitely did something to gently caress with her.

The upshot is I did some serious budget work and realized that if I'm careful and nothing calamitous happens, I can afford to move out. It'll be tight, but it would have been tight anyway. The only problem is that there will still be a 1-2 month gap (minimum) where I have to break the news to her "I don't want to live with you anymore" and I'm worried about spite. I don't think she'd cause serious harm to my dog, but I still don't like taking the risk, you feel me?

If it's this bad, you went the right route in putting up security, especially for your dog. Do you have anyone that can watch your pup temporarily while you move? Personally I wouldn't say poo poo to your toxic roommate, if at all possible - let your landlord know what's going on, make your plans, quietly remove yourself from the lease & ghost her abusive rear end. She & her FWB squatter friend can figure poo poo out on their own. Also, when you move, make sure you get friends or local authorities to stop by so you can make sure nothing lovely happens, definitely sounds like she's the type that would cause drama, lie & go full nuclear when she doesn't get her way.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

I hate IT. I'm starting to loving loathe it, primarily because of stupid people who refuse to read emails. We had a massive change from using the default iOS apps for mail/calendars/etc. to using Office, sent out multiple emails over the course of 2 weeks & pushed it out to everyone today.

Now we've missed 30+ calls because retards can't bother to read email, look at any service bulletins on our company website, or pull their heads from their asses in general. On top of that we run into this same situation every 2 months during password updates because people blatantly ignore the deadlines, then have the gall to get pissed at us when they can't do their jobs. I should've listened to my dad when he told me not to get into IT, the ratio of money to life-shortening-stress-that-will-kill-me-by-50 just isn't loving worth it. Just goes to prove that stubborn assholes who refuse to learn or change will always make lives more difficult.

Sometimes I wonder how humanity survived this long without causing our own loving extinction already.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

Roaches go for ANYTHING electronic, when I lived with a roommate about 14 years back we had a neighbor get an infestation of German cockroaches. Took loving forever to get rid of them, mainly because my roommate was a goddamn slob & kept bitching about it instead of cleaning up the boxes/cans & other trash in his room. They love anything electronic, so double-check stuff like speakers, alarm clocks, PC towers/laptops, lamps, etc.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

Manager Hoyden posted:

The brass at my workplace kramered into my department and told us a bunch of people are getting cut by the end of the academic year then left. No details about who or when

I know I'm safe, but holy poo poo I have never seen such a boneheaded management move and now my workplace is anxious and dour as poo poo

Imagine having no idea whether you have a job for an entire five months holy poo poo what an rear end in a top hat

Then 3 months from now when most of the staff is gone & work isn't getting done: "Whyyy can't we keep anyone?!??! Nobody wants to work WAAAAHHHHH"

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

Dad is in the hospital after an ablation procedure on his kidney, it bled enough that he got a 5-6cm clot in his bladder. Been there a couple days & they're finally putting him under to break it up manually, but he's been in pain & miserable since last Friday. Hoping it all gets flushed out & he won't have to worry about it. On top of that I found out my mom went back to smoking cigs again, making her COPD worse & now she needs oxygen 24/7 since she can barely walk to/from the bathroom at home. I feel for her but also resent the fact that she's so loving stubborn & I'm having to take time away from work to help my dad because she can't put the goddamn cigarettes down. She's constantly sick, wheezing, hacking & her voice is raspy as hell but god forbid she stop the nicotine train & get better for her family. Found out she even fought with my dad about it & made some really lovely personal remarks that almost made him break down...I'm really, really loving close to calling out all her bullshit & shoving it in her face because most times she forgets how much I actually remember about her petty, vindictive behavior toward people.

I'm just...loving exhausted, disappointed, angry & sad all at once. Hate seeing my folks go through this & doubly hate that my mom is loving 71 going on 15 apparently & never matured past "moody bitch teenager". :smith:

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

Both are breaks but I always thought it as fractures = bones stay in place, breaks = bones out of place. Sort of how technically a papercut & stab wound are "cuts" but one is way more severe than the other.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

Not today but over the weekend...water main broke in my apartment complex & my building plus a neighboring one were without water for more than 48 hours. Thankfully the management office/clubhouse had water & available bathrooms so I was able to trek over & fill up some gallon water jugs for home until everything was fixed Sunday morning. Unfortunately the weekend was a muddy, rainy mess & I slipped on some mud, twisting my ankle & landing weird on my left arm. Nothing broken but goddamn do I hate limping around, especially after it snowed the last 2 days & the sidewalks/parking lot were iced over like crazy.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

My dad is dying of cancer & it loving sucks. Visited my parents today to help out since he fractured his hip a couple weeks ago & has been taking it easy. He's had pain in his back/shoulders & found out the cancer in his lungs/kidney are aggressively growing into his spine. Diagnosis was 6-8 months, they'll be doing targeted radiation but it has us all wrecked. My mom's already in rough shape with COPD & lung issues bad enough that she needs oxygen; I'm the only family nearby & closest relatives are 4+ hours away in Missouri.

gently caress CANCER. First my grandpa, then grandma, then 2 aunts, a cousin & my sister so far have had various forms of it. I hate feeling like the hourglass is rapidly slipping away & I'm helpless to do a drat thing about it. I hate talking about plans for death & afterward, plus seeing how badly my mom is taking the news. All I can do is hope that the treatment(s) work & he can stick around for a little longer, even if it's a little selfish. :smith:

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

My dad died this morning after battling a resurgence of cancer over the last 6 weeks.

It's hard to process...went from seemingly healthy, to a 6 month 'maybe' diagnosis after going to the oncologist for back/arm & hip pain. Turned out his cancer came back way more aggressively & was growing in his right hip/femur, spine, skull, right arm & lungs. Got radiation for 2 weeks on his head & back, seemed to be okay & they let him go home 2 Fridays ago. He was doing really good until he lost his balance leaving the house last week & fell down on the porch, fracturing his right leg above the knee. Had surgery on the leg but started having problems breathing & swallowing over the next couple days...then he went into cardiac arrest & they couldn't bring him back.

I don't honestly know what's next or what to do. I'm trying my best to keep composure for my mom but...seeing dad in that hospital bed, with one of his last questions to his doctor being "am I fighting a losing battle?" will haunt me forever. Glad he's not struggling or in pain any more but gently caress, he wasn't supposed to go this soon :smith:

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

Captain Invictus posted:

are you doing stretching exercises to strengthen your back muscles? I went to the doctor after having a lower back muscle tweak on me on multiple occasions and they gave me a regimen that has helped a lot in preventing similar instances. helps prevent them from getting so tight all the time.

Seconding this, I used to have the same issue so I started a routine of stretching my low back, hamstrings & calves. You'd be surprised how much those other muscles being tight can have a domino effect to other body parts.

lovely things for me: still hurts that dad's gone even though it's been almost 6 weeks. The littlest things set me & my mom off....doesn't matter if it's a movie/show he liked, or music, or seeing his empty recliner & chair at the dinner table. She made one of his favorite meals Saturday & we had to take a few minutes to compose ourselves before we could eat. Going to the store sucks, I keep thinking of the foods he liked & then the realization hits that he's not here any more.

Echoing Venus de lmao - enjoy the time with loved ones while you can, never know when that time will be gone. Last thing I told my dad was "this is just a speed bump, stay strong & we'll get through this together. I love you" - he passed not even 12 hours later. Trying to get my anxiety in check because my mom's a couple years older than he was & her health is on the decline, I'm terrified something might happen to her while getting prepped to move into the house & dealing with work bullshit. But she's told me more than once that I'm "her rock" & she appreciates everything, so I'll continue doing whatever I can for as long as it takes. Just need a break from all the bad news so I can catch my breath for once & not feel so drat overwhelmed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

DrBouvenstein posted:

It's been about a year, my cousin even got a liver transplant last summer and was in and out of the hospital and rehab things were looking up for a while,

But he got COVID-induced pneumonia, and because of the immune suppressants he had to be on from the transplant and overall health still not being where it was, he passed away this morning.

:glomp: So sorry for the loss, hits harder when it's someone young. I'm 43 & lost my dad to cancer in February, there's good/bad days but I try to focus on the positives of when he was still here. Hope you & your family are doing alright, loss is never easy but I'm grateful he was such a huge part of my life & glad he isn't in pain any more. I'm sure your cousin was just as grateful to have you around, even if it was a short ride.

I know it might bring out some ugly tears but I saw this poem & immediately broke down for a few minutes. Whether it's family or friends, let them know you love them any chance you get. Life is precious & temporary, try to make the most of it.