Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
Getting brunch is more important to me than other peoples lives.
I found out I didn't get a job I was sure I had locked down. They decided to put the position on hold. Not the worst news ever, since they clearly loved me but have a different need at this time, but it's still disappointing. Worse, I haven't been as productive as I could have at my current job because a) I hate it, and b) I really thought I would get this other job. But, 55% of my stocks vest at the end of the year and I can suck it up for three more months. It's pretty awful here but if I lock myself in my office, keep to myself, and just do my work, I may be able to make it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
That's awful, Parasol Prophet.

It seems like you guys have much bigger problems than me, but I'm going to complain anyway. I was in the ER a couple nights ago for severe sciatica. A few injections and some RX pain meds later, I'm able to walk around with assistance, but it's been sketchy so far. My pain meds will run out before I get a chance to see my PCP, but I'm hoping it will have relaxed enough by then that I won't be in too much pain. Once I rule out a slipped disk, I'll be able to treat it at home (I've had sciatica for years but never this bad), but these next few days are going to be awkward. I'm going back into work tomorrow and people are going to wonder why I am limping/shuffling because I can't put any weight on my right foot. But at least I don't have any meetings until Wednesday, and it's only one and it's with my boss, who knows my situation.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
I went into work after a week of being laid up. I felt great yesterday and hopeful that today would be okay. Then I quickly learned how inaccessible our building is. Holy poo poo, secure doors are heavy! I'll probably mention it to HR or facilities (there is an elevator and for all I know there may be handicap access at the front of the building but that is far as hell from my office) even though my disability is temporary. Someone else's may not be.

Also it takes me about 10X longer than usual to get around. loving sciatica, go away already. I feel you loosening up in there, just loving un-loving-clench!

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
"I'm afraid there's nothing we can do for her. She's the equivalent of 110 human years, but at that age...."

17 years. She's my best friend. I do not know how I'm going to handle this.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009

BioEnchanted posted:

Not really measuring up to the most recent stuff I know but yesterday was really busy all day, and I work 12 hour shifts so I'm exhausted. Hopefully today will be quieter.

Bloat is the worst...so sorry for your pal. He may not have been "yours," but he was yours in a way.

I keep getting asked how I manage to hold my poo poo together lately. Between being almost totally disabled and losing my cat, poo poo has been tough. But I have my job (for now), and I'm very employable and getting interview offers all the time, and the disability is temporary, and most of this year has been pretty great.

The rest of 2016 can go ahead and let up any loving day now, though...

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
Got a bad performance review at work. Some of it was fair, but some of it was "what in the hell, I haven't even seen your face in six months, why are you rating my performance?"

At least I still have a job, for now. And I'm currently really employable (and waiting on an offer tbh) should I decide to turn this thing right into the ground

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
On the one hand, there is $800 in fraudulent charges missing from my bank account. On the other, filing a fraud claim and closing out the card was an easy process.

On the one hand, dealing with this made me almost late for work. On the other, I did manage to squeak in just in time.

On the one hand, a giant truck decided he needed both lanes to turn left onto the freeway after I had already gotten into the far left lane. On the other, I managed to bounce up onto the curb just enough to avoid him.

So...it could be a lot worse, I guess?

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
I hosed my back again and I'm only pain-free while sitting or lying down, which leads me to believe I can get up and do stuff, but when I do HERE COMES THE PAIN AGAIN. And I'm trying to stay off drugs but I do pop ibuprofen a few times a day. I have a cortisone shot scheduled for two weeks but I can't keep treating this with meds, I need a real solution and not just a band-aid.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

My cat and buddy of sixteen years finally had to be put to sleep this morning. Enough said. :(

Jesus, I'm sorry buddy. I lost my girl of 18 years in December and it stings every day

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009

GWBBQ posted:

Unless there's some unheard-of benign tumor that spreads to other organs, my mom has Stage IV pancreatic cancer. Yes, that is a mix of denial and hope that I'm expressing.

Jesus, I am so very loving sorry. My thoughts are with you.

Mine was yesterday, but it spilled over. Small potatoes compared to the above, but I was lying in bed last night crying over my cat who died in December. It may seem like a long time ago but she was my best bud for 18 years. As I was just starting to really get into it, my boyfriend of 3 months texted (yeah) to tell me he wanted to call things off. I'm fine with ending things--wasn't super into him anyway--but now I'm still crying and I can't decide if I'm still sad over my cat (never got to that good cry), or if there's some of the dumping in there too.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009

Picnic Princess posted:

Our first cat passed away last Monday of a sudden massive stroke a the age of 12. I brought him home almost immediately after we bought our first house. My husband and I were both extremely attached and it was loving devastating. He died in my arms while my husband was driving us to the vet. This has been one of the hardest weeks for both of us. I've been trying to act normal but my heart still hurts a lot.

So sorry for your loss. They really are family.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009

MisterBibs posted:

Witnessed an accident between two folks on a motorcycle (trying to gun it through a stale-yellow light) and a car (which didn't have to slow down coming to the intersection, since it was a fresh green). Bike hits car, folks went rear end-over-teakettle over the car, landed, and didn't get up. By sheer coincidence one of the randoms near where I was was a doctor and got to work on them, I did the 911-calling (because what else am I going to loving do). Doc guy confided in me later that he's pretty sure one of them (the woman) didn't make it. At best, I am barely dealing with this right now. There was a lot of blood.

Wear your helmets, people.

No helmets, ouch...that sucks, man. Thanks for helping out in the ways that you could.

I just found out my friend from law school died...not 100% sure what happened, but he was young and healthy last time we spoke. Good dude who loved animals and old cars. :(

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
I saw a guy (probably) die today. First time ever seeing it happen and hope to god the last. Bad car accident, he rolled the car a bunch of times onto our property after swerving to miss a vehicle whose lane he'd drifted into. He wasn't wearing a seatbelt, the car had no airbags, and he was ejected as the car was rolling. I'm pretty sure he was gone before the car stopped rolling, but we tried to save him anyway. First responders left without turning their siren on, so I'm not optimistic about his outcome. I'm just glad he didn't take out the van with a family in it, or any of us.

It's almost midnight and I'm exhausted but I'm afraid to go to sleep because I don't know what kind of nightmares I'm gonna have. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009

Pentaghastly posted:

I left my stupid car unlocked on accident last night and of course someone steals out of it, the ONE TIME I forget. I'm not even mad that they stole my old GPS, its hilarious because not only am i imagining them rummaging through all the papers and old ketchup packets in my glove compartment desperately trying to find anything of value they can take, but they forgot to take the loving charger for it

Hope it was worth it. I feel kinda violated my car is like an extension of my living space :(

This happened to me once, and I get where you're coming from. I had a lovely old 30-year-old car that I had left one of the windows cracked. They only got an old first-gen iPod that wouldn't even work, but the fact that they had rifled through everything and moved my seat around was really unnerving.

Today I found out that of the two coworkers I actually like at work, one just put in her notice. Our workplace is so toxic that she didn't even bother finding a new job. She said she's concerned about the other one I like, he mutters to himself all day and has stomach ulcers from stress. poo poo's about to hit the fan and I don't think anyone's going to like what happens next.