Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

I installed my new graphics card only to discover I didn't have a spare PCI power lead. The computer started up fine after I closed it up, but my husband took the opportunity to run Windows Update and it's been borked ever since (three hours and counting). That computer is also our mail server, file server, and spam filter (and Web server, though that's less of a big deal). Goddammit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

I just got over a lingering four-week deathcold and appear to have caught another one. I thought it was allergies, but the antihistamines do nothing. I slept for six hours during the day today.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

The home button on my Galaxy S7 Edge was acting up. Today I confirmed it's because the case is deformed, likely due to a bulging battery. Goddammit. I really like this phone, it sounds like the battery is a huge pain to replace (or get replaced), and I'm not eligible for an upgrade till November. I've never had a phone punk out on me like this before. :(

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

loving poo poo, it's not even noon and the day has already blown up.

My MIL in NZ runs a very woo-woo health-food operation. We're in the States, driving over to meet her in Canada next week. She has a bad habit of mailing poo poo to us, unasked (always, always unasked) to bring to her when we meet. Usually a book or some harmless pseudoscience junk.

A couple days back she said she sent us a(nother) package to bring her. Today she tells us, oh, by the way, it's CBD. CBD is illegal in my state (unless you have a medical marijuana card and buy it from a dispensary), and pretty loving illegal to schlep into Canada. If we accept this package, we're potentially facing federal charges, and my husband could lose his green card. What the gently caress?

He's told her he won't be bringing it to Canada, at least; I'm researching how to refuse a package. gently caress that noise. Goddamn. I don't even want his name on the loving box.

This is the straw that broke the mule's back. For gently caress's sake. Never again.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Aphrodite posted:

You literally just tell the mailman you refuse delivery.
Yes, if we can catch him. We can also write REFUSED on the box and take it right to the post office. We can send it back with the UPS guy, too--we don't know how it's been shipped. (We also don't know when it'll arrive. It could show up while we're gone and sit at the distro center till we return, and then we'll refuse it.)

Ideally the shipper will have the sense to not send the product to a state where it's illegal. You see notations here and then for various products, "Cannot be shipped to CA, HI, PR," that kind of thing. Fingers crossed. I'm mostly furious at my MIL for not bothering to check if she could or should send it.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

It's not the end of the world, I know that, but this was a bad tech day.

I discovered that our Web space, which we run off our home server, was hacked by someone who rm -rf'ed anything they had permission to delete. Just for shits and grins, as far as I can tell. There wasn't much pertinent on there, and I'm pretty sure we have local backups of everything that was there, but it's still going to be a pain in the rear end to restore it all (if we even bother).

My keyboard, which I had bought because it's the quietest one I could find, kept randomly switching into "game mode" such that a key would suddenly repeat, which is not acceptable when you type for a living. My mouse would hiccup, too. I thought it was because they were plugged into the hub in my monitor, so I ordered a hub that plugged directly into my new laptop (which does not otherwise have enough USB ports, WTF). The hub arrived today, but the keyboard was no better. Dug around, found a firmware update on the manufacturer's site, ran it; it failed. Ran it again and it "failed to erase" something and bricked my keyboard entirely. It was only ten months old. :mad:

So if anyone has any recommendations for really really quiet keyboards...hmu in PM.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

This is absolutely a first-world problem, but:

We order fast food once a week, and I look forward to it. I'm on a low-calorie diet and am extra careful on these days. Today I painstakingly put together dinner at Taco Bell--one lousy burrito, one measly taco--with all the calories I had left. They were loving cold, both of them, like they'd been brought home on the roof of the car. The lettuce was frozen.

620 calories shot to absolute poo poo. And now I have a chill.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Geez! It only people did their loving jobs!

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

gently caress. I'm so, so sorry.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Hardly a world-ender, but: I was drinking my morning cappuccino when I felt a little gob of something in my mouth. I figured there must have been a weird reaction between the coffee and the milk or something, like a pudding skin, and quickly deposited the gob into a nearby bowl. I forgot all about it for a few hours, then looked into the bowl to find this lovely customer:

:nms: https://i.imgur.com/1c769XO.jpg :nms:

WHAT the gently caress. Where'd it come from? The milk? It couldn't have made it through the pressurized espresso filter. Tucked into the clean steam nozzle or milk pitcher as they dried on the sink? Hanging out in my MUG? :barf: I have never seen one of these in my house! I keep my kitchen and espresso maker clean! loving drat it!

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Telemaze posted:

I could be wrong, but that looks like pantry moth larva. Might want to thoroughly check out your pantry.
Yeah. :( poo poo.

I took the opportunity to descale the machine, anyway, and deep-clean the counter under it. There was what looked a more mature bug (next step from larva?) in the reservoir, invisible against the black base. I suppose the first unwanted guest could have been shot through the steamer wand... Gross.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

My laptop just went :confused: :shrug: when trying to access my 4TB external drive over the network. Long story short, the drive is visible to Windows but not initialized, and I'm sick to my stomach thinking of the five years of photos, videos, music, work projects, and more that I'm going to have to pay someone to try to restore. gently caress. At least the drive was less than half full, I guess. :(

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

We had to take our 17.5-year-old pup in today to be put down, poor sweet thing. Bless you, Stanzie.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Oh, poo poo.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

My mom and I are leaving on a long-awaited, much-delayed trip Friday morning and just discovered that the beautiful box of KF94s we bought in preparation is counterfeit poo poo that has something like a 24 percent filtration rate. I found one good alternative (in a bad color, but beggars, choosers, etc.) that Amazon said they could Prime me overnight, except that the delivery date changed to Friday the second I clicked that loving Order button. gently caress

e: and the drugstore three miles down the road that has good masks in stock (per their Website) does not. gently caress

Hirayuki has a new favorite as of 02:49 on Jan 20, 2022

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

I woke up to an E-mail from my biggest, best client informing me that the new subcompany taking over us contractors is bringing with it tighter deadlines, no promise of the materials we need, and a 40 percent pay cut. The pay is less than I made on my first day eight years ago. I need to talk to this guy about this stuff and I don't even know what to say, I'm so disappointed and frustrated.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

No time like the present to mention the Goon Fund.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Andre Braugher died. 61, brief illness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

I'm so sorry. :sympathy: