Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Biplane posted:

Medically spitroasted :stare:
An excellent parachute account name

I'm so close to having enough saved for the new computer, but poo poo keeps coming up to eat entire paychecks. This happened when I was trying to save for my current one, too :negative: I'm so close to the finish line, universe. Please. Just be nice to me for a little longer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

I got a new keyboard since the spacebar on the old one was dying. I decided since I'm upgrading my computer in a while let's get something nice; I got a SteelSeries Apex 3, it's pretty nice... when it loving works. I'm not entirely sure what the issue is, but this wired USB keyboard will at complete random lose connection to my computer. Sometimes it will pop back up within seconds as if nothing happened. Sometimes it stays down and I have to physically unplug and replug it to unfuck it. Sometimes it goes days without it happening. Sometimes it'll do it 3 times inside of an hour.

It isn't the USB ports, I've plugged it into them all and none of them are shutting it down to conserve power. It isn't the drivers, I've wiped and reinstalled them several times, and factory reset the keyboard itself twice. I've done everything short of a full flatten and reinstall of Windows, and I'm not fuckin' goin' that far for a god be damned keyboard.
So fine, I'll just get the manufacturer to RMA it and hopefully the replacement will not randomly cut out on me.
:pseudo: "We're gonna need you to send photographic evidence that you've destroyed the defective device "
O...kay... little weird, but makes sense, don't want the customer bilking them out of two keyboards I guess. Can I at least have the replacement keyboard to make sure it works, first?
:pseudo: "Oh yeah, sure! Just make sure you send the evidence within 7 days of the new product arriving or you won't be refunded the cost of sending the second one."

Fair enough. Wait, it's been a week since I placed the order, but I made a typo in my address. Can I fix that?
:pseudo: "Actually we're out of stock of the keyboard you asked for. If you could go ahead and send those pics of you fuckin' up the defective one, that would be greaaat. We'll send you a code for the value towards another one afterwards!"

So my options are deal with a fritzing keyboard, or just plain not fuckin' have one! :negative:

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

tribbledirigible posted:

Have you tried updating the steelseries engine? It's not the same company, but my corsair mouse started turbo clicking out of the blue and a firmware downgrade or a newer upgrade fixed it.

Also, do you have anything else that can take a usb keyboard, like an xbone/laptop/tablet (probably need a micro USB/usb-c adapter) to test it out?

The engine is already up to date. I don't know about the firmware but I can only assume that too is up to date, as it's never given me an option to update it.
I do not have an Xbone and the only laptops here aren't mine, and given that it can go multiple days without it happening it'd be rude to try and monopolize them. I'm about to just cancel the drat RMA and deal with it, and replace it when I build the computer proper I guess :sigh: It's a great keyboard when it's not loving up, it really is, but this is a helluva big turd in the punch bowl.

My working theory is there's some manner of break inside the cable but it's a weird-rear end one; I've wiggled and waggled the thing in every way i can and I can't reliably get the disconnect to happen. It would be less annoying if *I knew what was causing it*.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Sounds kinda like the throttled connection my ISP forced us onto when we got caught piratin' to make us call them and acknowledge we'd done it and pinky-promise never to do it again. It still worked, sorta, in incredibly aggravating fashion.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

I get that medical people are overwhelmed these days because of the stupid people running the country but what the gently caress are they doing???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

My sister is pregnant. Again.
'Why is this making your day lovely?' She can barely afford to raise the one toddler she has, and it turns out that her being pregnant is a directly contributing factor to why she refused to leave her abusive boyfriend back in November/December when she had the chance- except she didn't tell us she was pregnant and kept giving us the runaround that it was about her dog, not about her. I only found out about it literally an hour ago, and her due date is next week.
I love you little sister but god drat.

Oh, the reason why she was so reluctant to tell us in the first place? Our dad is an incredible rear end in a top hat. Last time she got pregnant he didn't talk to any of us for two weeks. As if it's somehow me or Mom's fault that my sister got pregnant.